Associate Professor Stefania Castelletto is the Assistant Associate Dean of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering in the School of Engineering.Her research expertise is in experimental nanomaterials for energy, renewable energy, water purification and quantum technology applications. Her teaching focus is in Renewable Energy, Solar and Wind energy systems. She has over 20 years of extensive experience in research.
Stefania is leading cutting edge research in the field of nanomaterials for photonics, energy, water purification and quantum technologies, such as quantum communication, imaging and metrology and sensing. She holds a PhD in Metrology from the Polytechnic of Turin Mechanical and Energy Engineering. She has been group leader at the Italian National Metrology Institute, visiting scientist at the National Institute of Technology and Standards in the USA and part of the Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellent for Engineered Quantum Systems. She has been visiting professor in International Institutions such as Khalifa University (UAE), Huazhong University of Science and Technology (China), A*STAR Data Storage Institute (Singapore), Military Technology College (Sultanate of Oman).
Currently her research focus is in sustainable energy, solar and wind energy systems and quantum technologies and materials.
Scopus Author ID: 6701474818
She has secured several research grants from both government and industry agencies, both nationally and internationally.
She part of the editorial board of Nanomaterials and serves as reviewer for many high impact journals among them, American Chemical Society (ACS Nano, Nano letters), Royal Chemical Society (Nanoscale and Journal of Materials Chemistry), Nature Materials, Nature Photonics, Nature Communications.
She is part of SPIE Scientific Committee, Member of the Australian Optical Society (AOS) and Member of the Australian Nanotechnology Network.
She serves as Assessor for National and International agencies, among them for the ARC, Czech Science Foundation, DFG German research foundation, Volkswagen Foundation, Research Foundation -Flemish Government Flanders innovation & entrepreneurship, French National Research Agency, MIUR-Italian Ministry for Research, National Natural Science Foundation of China and Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong.
For a full list of publications see her Google Scholar listing.
Scopus Author ID: 6701474818
As the Assistant Associate Dean of Mechanical and Automotive engineering, Associate Professor Castelletto is a member of the School of Engineering extended leadership team and provides leadership for the academic staff within the Discipline in close collaboration with the Associate Dean. She is responsible for providing strategic academic leadership and for managing staff to deliver on the College research, learning and teaching strategies.
Stefania is also serving as Laser safety officer level 1, Senior Officer of RMIT University for Academic Integrity matters, and she covers the role of Academic Integrity Advisor for RMIT University.
She is also an active lecturer and course coordinator in Renewable Energy Systems.
- Ph.D. (Metrology) Mechanical Engineering School, Polytechnic of Turin University, Mention: Excellent
- MSc (Physics), University of Turin, 110/110 cum Laude
- 2018-2020 Program Manager for the Master of International Automotive Engineering at RMIT University
- 2013-now Course coordinator of undergraduate and master degree courses
- 2011–2013: Part of the ARC Centre of Excellence Engineered Quantum systems
- 2006–2010: Responsible for the "Engineered Quantum Information with nanostructures diamond" EQUIND project EU Commission 6th Framework and the Australian International Science Linkage project "Engineered quantum information in Diamond" (Department of Innovation, Industry and Science and Research)
- 2002–2006: Research Group Leader in Optical Metrology at INRIM
Industry and government agency collaborations
- Selex SI (Italy)
- Element Six (UK)
- European Project EQUIND FP7 FET open
- Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (Ge)
- Institut national de métrologie (INM) – Cnam (F)
- National Physics Laboratory (UK)
- Italian Institute of Metrological Research (INRIM)
- National Institute of Technology and Standards (USA)
- Castelletto, S.,Maksimovic, J.,Katkus, T.,Ohshima, T.,Johnson, B.,Juodkazis, S. (2021). Color centers enabled by direct femto-second laser writing in wide bandgap semiconductors In: Nanomaterials, 11, 1 - 17
- Castelletto, S.,Boretti, A. (2021). Advantages, limitations, and future suggestions in studying graphene-based desalination membranes In: RSC Advances, 11, 7981 - 8002
- Boretti, A.,Castelletto, S. (2021). (In Press) Concentrated Solar Power Solar Tower with Oversized Solar Field and Molten Salt Thermal Energy Storage Working at an Annual Average Capacity Factor of 95% in NEOM City In: Energy Technology, , 1 - 11
- Storterboom, J.,Barbiero, M.,Castelletto, S.,Gu, M. (2021). Ground-State Depletion Nanoscopy of Nitrogen-Vacancy Centres in Nanodiamonds In: Nanoscale Research Letters, 16, 1 - 9
- Castelletto, S.,Boretti, A. (2021). Viral particle imaging by super-resolution fluorescence microscopy In: Chemical Physics Impact, 2, 1 - 13
- Castelletto, S. (2021). Silicon carbide single-photon sources: challenges and prospects In: Materials for Quantum Technology, 1, 1 - 12
- Castelletto, S.,Johnson, B.,Boretti, A. (2020). Visible and Infrared Photoluminescence in Hexagonal Silicon Carbide by Direct Femtosecond Laser Writing In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 840, 2020 4th International Conference on Materials Engineering and Nano Sciences (ICMENS) 13-15 March 2020, Pattaya, Thailand, Pattya, 13-15 March 2020
- Boretti, A.,Castelletto, S. (2020). Trends in performance factors of wind energy facilities In: SN Applied Sciences, 2, 1 - 13
- Boretti, A.,Castelletto, S.,Al-Kouz, W.,Nayfeh, J. (2020). Capacity factors of solar photovoltaic energy facilities in California, annual mean and variability In: 2020 5th International Conference on Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering (ICSREE 2020), Paris, 6-9 May 2020
- Boretti, A.,Castelletto, S.,Al-Kouz, W.,Nayfeh, J. (2020). The energy future of Saudi Arabia In: 2020 5th International Conference on Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering (ICSREE 2020), Paris, 6-9 May 2020
1 PhD Current Supervisions2 PhD Completions
- Above Water Laser Communication. Funded by: Lockheed Martin Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Quantum Diamond-based Geophysical Sensor Technology. Funded by: Rio Tinto Australia-Japan Collaboration Program from (2020 to 2021)