Associate Professor Stefania Castelletto has over 19 years of extensive experience in research as first person researcher and as group leader in many engineering/applied physics fields.
These fields include: metrology, instrumentation and measurements, optics and quantum optics, laser applications, quantum information, spectroscopy, material science and nanotechnologies, renewable energy and solar systems.
She has been working in Europe, UK, USA and Australia in different research roles, including group leader.
She is currently lecturing on Renewable energy and Program manager of the of International Automotive Engineering Master at RMIT.
Her present major focus of research is on crystal defects in wide bandgap semiconductors for application in quantum technologies, magnetic field, temperature and strain sensing at the micro/nanoscale. She works in the application of biocompatible materials such as nanodiamonds and silicon carbide in biomedical imaging using magnetic resonance imaging and optical super-resolution microscopy. Other key research interests are in solar energy harvesting, photo-catalysis, photovoltaic and integrated renewable energy systems.
Stefanie led cutting edge research in the field of photonics, material science and metrology (quantum metrology). In the specific She worked on wide-band gap semiconductors optical and spin properties and their nanomaterial counterpart, producing world leading and pioneering research papers on quantum optics and spintronics.
In the field of optical metrology, she pioneered the field of quantum radiometry with original and innovative research in experimental quantum metrology, quantum imaging and quantum communications. Currently, she also pursue research activity in Renewable energy systems.
Editorial board and refereeing
- Guest editor for the Special for the C-Journal of Carbon research
- NANOP 2018 Scientific Committee
- SPIE Scientific Committee of annual conference on Quantum Communication and Imaging since 2004
- Single-Photon Workshop Scientific Committee 2005 and 2007.
- Member of the Australian Optical Society (AOS) subcommittee for the 13th Joint Asia Pacific Physics (APPC) and 22nd AIP Congress 2016.
- Member of the Australian Nanotechnology Network since 2008.
- Referee for scientific journals including Journal of the Optical Society of America, New Journal of Physics, Optics Express, IEEE Transaction Of Instrumentation & Measurements, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, ACS Nano, Metrologia, Small, Physical Review series, Optics letters, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Review Scientific Instruments, Nature Materials, Nature Communication, Optica, Scientific Reports, Microsystems and Nanoengineering.
- Assessor for the Australian Research Council (DP, DECRA, FF), Czech Science Foundation, DFG German research foundation, Volkswagen Foundation, Research Foundation -Flemish Government flanders innovation & entrepreneurship, French National Research Agency, MIUR-Italian Ministry for Research projects.
Publication citation metrics (as of 23 March 2018)
Listed below are Associate Professor Castelletto's 10 most recent publications.
For a full list see her Google Scholar listing.
Scopus Author ID: 6701474818
PAPERS (116) - Scopus/Web of Science- h index=23, total citation 1804.
PAPERS (>146) - Google Scholar - h-index=27, citations=2809. i-10index=58.
Performance indicators based on SciVal from 2012 to 2017.
Field-Weighted Citation Impact 1.4
Outputs in Top Citation Percentiles (top 10% publications most cited worldwide): 19.6%.
- University of Western Australia Research Collaboration Awards (2015), "Schistosoma magneto optical-microwave sensors", 2015
- Macquarie Research Development grant, "Luminescent nanomaterials for molecular-specific cell and tissue imaging", 2012-14
- Research collaboration award (RCA) with the University of Western Australia, "Next generation hybrid sapphire-diamond spin-frequency transducers: towards all diamond frequency resonators" 2012-13
- Part of the ARC Center of Excellence Engineered Quantum System (EQUS), 2011-2013.
- Australian Academy of Science travel grant, 2011
- Part of the EU 6th Frame Program project Engineered Quantum Information with nanostructures diamonds, EQUIND, 2006-2010
- Australian International Science Linkage project "Engineered quantum information in Diamond", Department of Innovation, Industry and Science and Research, 2006-2010
- University of Melbourne Interdisciplinary Seed Funding. "Magnetic resonance and optical imaging to study the dynamics of neural stem cell responses in situ using nanodiamonds", 2010
- University of Melbourne Interdisciplinary Seed Funding. "Magnetic resonance and optical imaging to study the dynamics of neural stem cell responses in situ using nanodiamonds", 2011
- University of Melbourne Interdisciplinary Seed Funding - 2011. "Novel Hybrid Diamond-Metal Oxides for Advanced Electro-Optic Applications" (PI) (50,000 AUD), 2011
- European Project "Harrison" European Space agency, 2006-07
- QCrypt, Italian Ministry of Research and defence company Elsag now Selex SI, 2001-03
Stefanie covers the role of Program Manager of the Master of International Automotive Engineering, MC230.
She is a Laser safety officer level 1 for the Mechanical Engineering School.
She is the course coordinator and lecturer for the courses MIET2032, MIET2480, MIET2082.
Present and Past Teaching subjects include: Renewable energy, Applied Thermodynamics and Advanced Thermo Fluids at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Ph.D. (Metrology) Mechanical Engineering School, Polytechnic of Turin University, Mention: Excellent
- MSc (Physics), University of Turin, 110/110 cum Laude
- January 2018–Present: Associate Professor, at School of Engineering at RMIT University Melbourne
- March 2014–present: Adjunct Associate Professor Centre for MicroPhotonics Swinburne University of Technology
- June 2013–2017: Senior Lecturer at School of Engineering at RMIT University Melbourne
- Sep 2011–June 2013: Senior Research Fellow in Dept. of Physics and Astronomy in Macquarie University
- Jan–August 2011: Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Micro‐Photonics Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Science
- 2006–2010: Research and Senior Research Fellow University of Melbourne (UoM), Physics/Optics and Micro-analytical Materials groups
- 1998–2006: Group leader and researcher at the Italian National Institute of Metrological Research (INRIM)
Professional and leadership roles
- 2014: Academic advisor for the laser safety of laboratories at School of Engineering
- Course coordinator of undergraduate and master courses
- 2011–2013: Part of the ARC Centre of Excellence Engineered Quantum systems (EQuS) at Macquarie University.
- 2006–2010: Responsible for the University of Melbourne milestones within the "Engineered Quantum Information with nanostructures diamond" EQUIND project EU Commission 6th Framework and the Australian International Science Linkage project "Engineered quantum information in Diamond" (Department of Innovation, Industry and Science and Research)
- 2002–2006: Research Group Leader in Optical Metrology at INRIM. Research in quantum entanglement for quantum imaging and quantum cryptography for metrology applications
- 2017: Visiting Professor Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
- 2017: Visiting Professor, Military Technology College, Sultanate of Oman
- 2016: Visiting professor at Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi UAE
- June 2015: Visit A*STAR Data Storage Institute, Singapore
- May–June 2010: visit of the Humboldt Berlin Institute of Quantum Nanophotonics, Awarded by the Australian Academy of Science.
- March 2010: Max Planck Institute, Biophysical chemistry department of NanoBioPhotonics,
- September: 2008,2009 University of Stuttgart
- 2001–2003: Invited Guest Scientist, sponsored by National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA
- September 2000: Invited Guest Scientist by National Physics Laboratory (UK)
- December 2000: Invited Guest Scientist by National Physics Laboratory (UK)
Industry and government agency collaborations
- Qcrypt project Selex SI (Italy)
- Element Six (UK)
- European Project EQUIND FP7 FET open
- Euranet: Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (Ge)
- Institut national de métrologie (INM) – Cnam (F)
- National Physics Lab (UK)
- Italian Institute of Metrological Research (INRIM)
- National Institute of Technology (USA)
- The University of Melbourne
- Radiation Effect group, Japanese Atomic Energy Agency
- University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Cambridge University (UK)
- Oxford University (UK)
- Institute for Solid State Physics and Optics, Wigner Research Center for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Swinburne University of Technology
- The University of Western Australia
- Dolan, P.,Adekanye, S.,Trichet, A.,et al, .,Castelletto, S. (2018). Robust, tunable, and high purity triggered single photon source at room temperature using a nitrogen-vacancy defect in diamond in an open microcavity In: Optics express, 26, 7056 - 7065
- Lohrmann, A.,Johnson, B.,McCallum, J.,Castelletto, S. (2017). A review on single photon sources in silicon carbide In: Reports on Progress in Physics, 80, 1 - 23
- Lohrmann, A.,Karle, T.,Sewani, V.,Laucht, A.,Bosi, M.,Negri, M.,Castelletto, S.,Prawer, S.,McCallum, J.,Johnson, B. (2017). Integration of single-photon emitters into 3C-SiC microdisk resonators In: ACS Photonics, 4, 462 - 468
- Castelletto, S.,Almutairi, A.,Thalassinos, G.,Lohrmann, A.,Buividas, R.,Lau, D.,Reineck, P.,Juodkazis, S.,Ohshima, T.,Gibson, B.,Johnson, B. (2017). Fluorescent color centers in laser ablated 4H-SiC nanoparticles In: Optics Letters, 42, 1297 - 1300
- Ohshima, T.,Honda, T.,Onoda, S.,Makino, T.,Haruyama, M.,Kamiya, T.,Satoh, T.,Hijikata, Y.,Kada, W.,Hanaizumi, O.,Lohrmann, A.,Klein, J.,Johnson, B.,McCallum, J.,Castelletto, S.,Gibson, B.,Kraus, H.,Dyakonov, V.,Astakhov, G. (2017). Creation and functionalization of defects in SiC by proton beam writing In: Materials Science Forum, 897, 233 - 237
- Khan, I.,Castelletto, S.,Rosengarten, G. (2017). Fabrication of solar beam steering electrowetting devices - Present status and future prospects In: Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 50, 1 - 18
- Barbiero, M.,Castelletto, S.,Gan, X.,Gu, M. (2017). Spin-manipulated nanoscopy for single nitrogen-vacancy center localizations in nanodiamonds In: Light: Science and Applications, 6, 1 - 7
- Castelletto, S.,Rosa, L.,Blackledge, J.,Al Abri, M.,Boretti, A. (2017). Advances in diamond nanofabrication for ultrasensitive devices In: Microsystems and Nanoengineering, 3, 1 - 16
- Boretti, A.,Castelletto, S. (2016). Nanometric resolution magnetic resonance imaging methods for mapping functional activity in neuronal networks In: MethodsX, 3, 297 - 306
- Lohrmann, A.,Johnson, B.,Almutairi, A.,Lau, D.,Negri, M.,Bosi, M.,Gibson, B.,McCallum, J.,Gali, A.,Ohshima, T.,Castelletto, S. (2016). Engineering single defects in silicon carbide bulk, nanostructures and devices In: Materials Science Forum, 858, 312 - 317
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions