Dr Sebastian Cordoba
College / Portfolio: Design and Social Context
School / Department: DSC|School of GUSS
Campus: City Campus
Sebastian is a social worker, lecturer, senior policy advisor and Industry Fellow at RMIT University
Sebastian Cordoba is a lecturer and course coordinator in several social work courses at RMIT University. He is also a senior policy advisor and human rights advocate for the Australian Association of Social Workers, including working with the International Federation of Social Workers at the United Nations. His research looks at the relationship between large scale policy reform and the social work profession at direct-practice, education and identity level. In his policy work he has advocated against government policies that breach Australia's human rights commitments with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, social support systems and the rights of children. As a qualified social worker, he spent several years working with children, young people and families, specializing in trauma and crisis work in educational and health care settings.
Lecturing, course coordination, work integrated placements and industry links (policy and advocacy).
Dr Sebastian Cordoba is leading an RMIT partnership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) to undertake a Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Work Integrated Learning placement opportunities for social work students. See here for more details.
Monday to Wednesday
- Doctor of Philosophy, RMIT University
- Bachelor of Social Work (Hons 1st Class), RMIT University
Several years of social work direct practice experience, working with children and families. Currently a senior policy advisor and human rights advocate for the Australian Association of Social Workers, including working with the International Federation of Social Workers at the United Nations.
- Cordoba, P.,Bando, L. (2022). Social Work and the Sustainable Development Goals: A Student Placement Model In: Australian Social Work, 75, 519 - 526
- Hodgson, D.,Watts, L.,Cordoba, S.,Nipperess, S. (2021). Social Work Doctoral Education in Australia: The Case for Further Development In: Australian Social Work, 74, 96 - 109
- Cordoba, P. (2017). Representations of Social Work in the Australian News Media In: Australian Social Work, 70, 453 - 464
1 Masters by Research Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions