Robert Crawford is Professor of Advertising in the School of Media and Communication at RMIT University.His research has focused on the growth and development of the advertising, marketing, and public relations industries across Australia, Oceania, and South East Asia.
Robert Crawford is Professor of Advertising in the School of Media and Communication at RMIT University. His research has focused on the growth and development of the advertising, marketing, and public relations industries across Australia, Oceania, and South East Asia.
Professor Crawford's research books include "Behind Glass Doors: The World of Australian Advertising Agencies 1959-89" (UWAP, 2016 – co-authored with Jackie Dickenson) and "But Wait There's More…: A History of Australian Advertising, 1900-2000" (MUP, 2008). In addition, He has edited various collections, including "Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World" (Routledge, 2017 – co-edited with Linda Brennan and Lukas Parker), "Consumer Australia: Historical Perspectives" (CSP, 2010 – co-edited with Judith Smart & Kim Humphery) and the special Australian edition of "Journal of Historical Research in Marketing" (vol.8 no.3 2016). Professor Crawford is also a co-author of the second and third Australasian edition of the textbook "Advertising Principles and Practices" (Pearson, 2011, 2014). He is also the author of over 70 book chapters, journal articles, and encyclopaedia entries for national and international publications.
Prior to arriving at RMIT University, Professor Crawford lectured in the Public Communication program at the University of Technology Sydney, where he also served as Head of School. Professor Crawford has held research positions at the Menzies Centre at King's College, London and the National Centre for Australian Studies at Monash University.
Professor Crawford has taken up visiting fellowships at various universities (including La Sabana University, Colombia; Brown University, USA; Macquarie University, Australia) and institutions (National Museum of Australia; Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences). He is currently the David Scott Mitchell Fellow at the State Library of New South Wales.
- PhD (Monash)
- BA (Hons)
- Getting into the Consumer's Mind: The Ashby Research Service and the Post-War Australian Market. Funded by: State Library of NSW Fellowship 2017 from (2017 to 2018)
- Crawford, R.,Bailey, M. (2019). Cousins once removed? Revisiting the relationship between oral history and business history In: Enterprise and Society, 20, 4 - 18
- Crawford, R. (2019). Off the books: Oral history and transnational advertising agencies in Southeast Asia In: Enterprise and Society, 20, 47 - 59
- Robertson, E.,Crawford, R. (2019). Activist Nation: Australia and the 1916 Conscription Referendum In: Protest Public Relations: Communicating Dissent and Activism, Routledge, London
- Crawford, R. (2019). Testing the Market: The Ashby Research Service and Australian Consolidated Press In: Journal of Australian Studies, 43, 236 - 248
- Crawford, R.,Bailey, M. (2018). Speaking of research: oral history and marketing history In: Journal of Historical Research in Marketing, 10, 107 - 128
- Crawford, R. (2018). Office space: Australian advertising agencies in the twentieth century In: Journal of Management History, 24, 396 - 413
- Crawford, R. (2018). More than meets the Eye: Advertising Process and the Barry Banks Blakeney Archive In: RMIT Design Archives Journal, 8, 45 - 53
- Brennan, L.,Crawford, R. (2017). Globalisation, branding and advertising's stakeholders In: Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Crawford, R.,Brennan, L.,Nguyen Hong Hai, D.,Parker, L. (2017). From global to social: digital communication and the future of globalisation and advertising In: Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Dickenson, J.,Crawford, R. (2017). Australasian advertising and the world In: Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions