Dr Datta’s research primarily focuses on the modelling and control of PV and Wind power. He has extensive research and industry experiences in the controller design and optimisation of Energy Storage System.
- Optimal Sizing of PV, Wind, and Battery Systems for Community Power Grid
- Modelling and control of AC/DC and Hybrid Microgrid
- Distributed Generation Modelling, Forecasting, Optimisation, and Control
- Application of Intelligent Algorithms in Power System Control.
- Motor Drives (IM, SRM, IG, PMSG, PMSM)
- Smart and sustainable power system by incorporating modern power electronics, intelligent controls, PV systems, and electric vehicles, Principal Investigator, Funded by: Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), Japan, Amount: 15,000,000 JPY, 2012.
- Dynamic Grid Support and Control by Using PV Systems from the Perspective of Green Smart Grid, Co-Principal Investigator, Funded by: Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan, Amount: 3,000,000 JPY, 2011.
- Efficient controls of large PV power systems, clustered PV systems, and PV-diesel hybrid systems in Okinawa Island, Principal Investigator, Funded by: The Power Academy of Japan, Japan, Amount: 1,000,000 JPY, 2010.
- Study of the MW-class Solar Plant in the Miyakojima Island, Principal Investigator, Funded by: Marubun Research Promotion Foundation, Japan, Amount: 1,000,000 JPY, 2010.
- Lecturer (Electrical Engineering)
- Research and supervision (Electrical Power Engineering and Renewable Energy Systems)
- D.Eng. (Interdisciplinary Intelligent Systems Engineering), 2011
- M.Eng. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering), 2008
- B.Sc. (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), 2003
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) postdoctoral fellowship, 2011
- Key Note Speaker; IEEE COMPEL, 2012, Kyoto, Japan
- Session Chairs; IEEE ISGT, 2016, Melbourne, Australia & IEEE EPECS, 2018, Kyushu, Japan
- Technical Program Committee; Over 15 IEEE International Conferences
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE, USA (Power Engineering Society)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, IEEJ, Japan (Power and Energy Society)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2012 – 2013, Assistant Professor: Dept. of Human and Information Systems, Gifu University, Japan
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications
- IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
- IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion
- IEEE Power and Energy Technology Systems Journal
- IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics
- IET Renewable Power Generation
- IET Control Theory & Applications
- Renewable Energy
- Electric Power Components and Systems
- Nafi, N.,Ahmed, K.,Gregory, M.,Datta, M. (2018). Software defined neighborhood area network for smart grid applications In: Future Generation Computer Systems, 79, 500 - 513
- Meegahapola, L.,Datta, M.,Ullah, N.,Conroy, J. (2018). Role of fault ride-through strategies for power grids with 100% power electronic-interfaced distributed renewable energy resources In: Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment, 7, 1 - 24
- Uehara, T.,Son, D.,Matayoshi, H.,Lotfy, M.,Senjyu, T.,Datta, M.,Howlader, A. (2017). Frequency control method using automated demand response for isolated power system In: International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, 18, 1 - 15
- Nafi, N.,Ahmed, K.,Gregory, M.,Datta, M. (2016). A survey of smart grid architectures, applications, benefits and standardization In: Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 76, 23 - 36
- Legudi, G.,Datta, M. (2016). Transient stability of a hybrid micro-grid with multivariable droop and virtual synchronous generator In: 2016 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia, Melbourne, Australia, 28 Nov - 1 Dec 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W. (2016). Comparisons of PI and PR current controllers based flux weakening to limit DC-link capacitor overvoltage in PMSG based wind energy system In: 2016 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia, Melbourne, Australia, 28 Nov - 1 Dec 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). A method to reduce DC-link overvoltage of PMSG based WECS during LVRT In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). Comparison of synchronous and stationary frame pi based flux weakening controls for DC-link overvoltage minimisation of WECS under grid fault In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Nafi, N.,Ahmed, K.,Datta, M.,Gregory, M. (2016). A novel software defined wireless sensor network based grid to vehicle load management system In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), 2016, Gold Coast, Australia, 19-21 December 2016
- Uehara, T.,Matayoshi, H.,Ludin, G.,Yona, A.,Senjyu, T.,Datta, M.,Howlader, A.,Funabashi, T. (2016). System frequency control using emergency demand response in power systems with large-scale Renewable Energy Sources In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions