His research interests are in the areas of decision analysis, intelligent systems, digital business, knowledge management, electronic government, e-learning, and their applications in business. The multi-disciplinary nature of his research and the emphasis on both theoretical and applied research are exemplified by numerous refereed publications in top refereed international journals listed in the Science Citation Index, Social Science Citation Index, Engineering Compendex Index, and at major refereed international conferences including Journal of Operational Research Society, European Journal of Operational Research, Computers and Operations research, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, IEEE Transactions on Systems, man, and Cybernetics, Government Information Quarterly, Expert Systems with Applications,Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Fuzzy Information and Engineering, International Journal of E-Government Research, Journal of Systems and Information Technology, and Management Research Review.
Hepu is active in the international academic community. He acted as the Program Chair of several IEEE international conferences in Fuzzy Systems, Knowledge Discovery, Artificial Intelligence, and Computational Intelligence in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 respectively. He was the Publicity Chair for five IEEE international conferences in China and Singapore including the 9th IEEE International Conference on Neural Information Processing (2002), the 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning (2002), and the 2002 International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery and the organization committee member for numerous international conferences. He was and is currently a referee for many prestigious international journals including Fuzzy Sets and Systems, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, European Journal of Operational Research, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, International Journal of Computers and Industrial Engineering, Information Sciences, Computers and Operations Research,International Journal of Production Economics, Journal of Computational Intelligence in Finance, Journal of Operations Management, and International Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems.
Hepu is experienced in working and teaching at tertiary education in a cross-culture environment. After graduation and worked as a mathematics teacher in a High School he became an assistant lecturer and then lecturer in the Department of Business, Wuhan University of Science and Technology, China. He started at the School of Computing and Information Technology, Monash University in July 1998 as a lecturer and was appointed to the School of Business IT at RMIT in 2000.
- Decision analysis: Multi-criteria decision making, fuzzy decision analysis, fuzzy optimization
- Intelligent systems: Artificial intelligence, expert systems, intelligent agents, and their applications in business
- Digital business: E-market adoption and evaluation, green information technology, technology adoption
- Knowledge management: Knowledge sharing, learning organizations, roles of ICT in knowledge management
- Electronic government:E-government benchmarking, public value of e-government
- E-learning: Learning ecosystems, open learner’s models, adoption of technologies in e-learning
- PhD (Information Systems) 1999, Monash University
- Master (Business Systems), 1994, Monash University
- Postgraduate Diploma (Management Engineering), 1988, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China
- Bachelor (Mathematics), 1984, Hunan Normal University, China
Conference Program Chair
- The 24th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, December 4-6, 2013, Melbourne, Australia.
- The 2013 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'13), August 14-16, Guilin, China
- The 2012 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'12), October 26-28, Chengdu, China
- The 2011 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'11), September 24-25, Taiyuan, China
- The 2010 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'10), October 23-24, Sanya, China
- The 2009 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'09), November 7-8, Shanghai, China
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, August 16-18, 2009, Tianjing, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Natural Computation, August 27-29, 2005, Changsha, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, August 27-29 2005, Changsha, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- The Ninth International Conference on Neural Information Processing, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- The Fourth Asia-Pacific Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- Duan, S.,Deng, H.,Luo, F. (2019). An integrated approach for identifying the efficiency-oriented drivers of electronic markets in electronic business In: Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 32, 60 - 74
- Zou, A.,Duan, S.,Deng, H. (2019). Multicriteria Decision Making for Evaluating and Selecting Information Systems Projects: A Sustainability Perspective In: Sustainability, 11, 347 - 360
- Wang, X.,Zhong, Y.,Zou, A.,Deng, H. (2019). A Smart Framework for Intelligent Manufacturing in the Aluminum Profile Industry Using IoT Technologies In: Proceeding of the 24th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management 2018, Changsha, China, 19-20 May 2018
- Bere, A.,Deng, H.,Tay, R. (2018). Assessing the impact of using instant messaging in eLearning on the performance of teaching and learning in higher education In: Proceedings of ACIS 2018, Sydney, Australia, 2-4 December 2018
- Sahu, N.,Deng, H.,Molla, A. (2018). A capability based framework for customer experience focused digital transformation In: Proceedings of ACIS2018, Sydney, Australia, 2-4 December 2018
- Chau, T.,Deng, H. (2018). Critical Determinants for Mobile Commerce Adoption in Vietnamese SMEs: A Preliminary Study In: Proceedings of ACIS2018, Sydney, Australia, 2-4 December 2018
- Chau, T.,Deng, H. (2018). Critical Determinants for Mobile Commerce Adoption in Vietnamese SMEs: A Conceptual Framework In: Procedia Computer Science, 138, 433 - 440
- Sabani, A.,Deng, H.,Thai, V. (2018). A Conceptual Framework for the Adoption of E-Government in Indonesia In: Proceedings of ACIS2018, Sydney, Australia, 2-4 December 2018
- Almukhlifi, A.,Deng, H.,Kam, B. (2018). E-Government Adoption in Saudi Arabia: The Moderation Effect of Wastta In: CONF-IRM 2018 Proceedings, Lingbo, China, 21-23 June 2018
- Sahu, N.,Deng, H.,Molla, A. (2018). Investigating The Critical Success Factors Of Digital Transformation For Improving Customer Experience In: CONF-IRM 2018 Proceedings, Lingbao, China, 21-23 June 2019
- Accounting for Sustainability: Developing an Integrated Approach for Sustainability Assessments. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2009 Round 2 from (2010 to 2014)
- Competition and Collaboration in the Market for Digital Publishing. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects 2004 Round 2 from (2004 to 2008)
15 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions