Lisa has conducted research across a wide spectrum of electronic communications media. She has worked as a research analyst for the United Nations Secretariat in New York, for NASA (US National Aerospace and Aeronautics Agency) in Houston and for Telstra and Telecom Australia. Most recently she has designed story worlds and scripts for the multi-user virtual environment Second Life for clients including Telstra Big Pond and ABC Television. She is a co-founder of RMIT’s islands in Second Life.
Dethridge has twenty years’ experience researching and writing for web, film, television, theatre, radio, print and telecoms in Australia and the United States. She produced and developed script and story material for major and independent studios and networks including Fox, Warner, Working Title, MTV, CBS, NBC, Ted Turner CNN, Granada, SBS, Dempa Japan, Conde Nast; the Australian Film Commission, the Film Finance Corporation, ABC Australia, Artist Services, 3RR Radio and TV New Zealand.
She has written for many news and lifestyle magazines including regular columns on film, architecture and travel for Vogue Magazine, The Australian, Cleo, Marie Claire and The Age. She is the author of Writing Your Screenplay, of numerous scholarly articles and of screenplays and stage plays including The War Against Short Trousers which was nominated for Patrick White Playwrite’s Award.
As a multimedia artist, she has exhibited in New York City in the commercial Gallery Sakiko and at the Pratt Institute in New York; at the Sydney Biennale and the La Trobe Uni. Sculpture Trienniale. She also worked with electronic music ensemble “The Artificial Organs” who released the album “Momento Mori.”
Research and scholarship
Author of Writing Your Screenplay, Allen and Unwin, Sydney 2003
DSC Emerging Researcher Grant 2007, RMIT in Second Life
Geoplaced Knowledge Research Grant 2009
New York/Melbourne 2009 Dark Luminance Digital Exhibition
Digital, Database and Virtual Art
Screen writing for film, television, web, mobile and convergent platforms
Digital convergence and writing for interactive database narrative and networked screens
How artists and scientists collaborate within virtual and artificial reality
Machine and screen metaphors for the projection of self
- Viral culture, simulation and social networking
Supervision of Masters and PhD. by Research since 1999 (Students have gone on to win awards)
DSC College Coordinator Creative Research Strategies
Master of Creative Media Research Representative
Supervisor, Masters and PhD by Research
PhD Media Ecology, New York University, Communication Arts and Sciences
M.A. Political Science, University of Melbourne
B.A. (Hons.) Fine Arts and Literature, University of Melbourne
Coordinator of Industry Advisory Committee Masters of Creative Media Program, Members inc. Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Australian Film Commission (Screen Australia), Penguin Publications, National Gallery of Victoria, E Services Interactive; Film Victoria and Cinemedia.
Regular contributor to radio 3RRR
Script Editor on AFI Best Feature Screenplay Winner, Chopper
Script Editor on AFI Best Short Award Winner, The Beneficiary
Script Editor on Best International Documentary, Real Film Festival, Anthem
Nominated for Patrick White Playwright’s Award, 2003
Twenty years’ experience researching and writing for web, film, television, theatre, radio, print and telecoms in Australia and the United States.
- Dethridge, L. (2019). Considerations for extended reality, augmented reality and mixed reality design In: Screen Thought Journal, 3, 1 - 19
- Dethridge, L. (2017). GAIP and Cerita Pendik Performances plus Leader of Artists Forum on "De-narcissism and the Other" In: Melaka Festival of Performing Arts MAPFEST 2017 Melaka, Malaysia
- Dethridge, L.,Quinn, P. (2016). Realtime emergency communication in virtual worlds In: International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment, 7, 26 - 39
- Ivancic, D.,Schofield, D.,Dethridge, L. (2016). A virtual perspective: Measuring engagement and perspective in virtual art galleries In: International Journal of Arts and Technology, 9, 273 - 298
- Schofield, D.,Dethridge, L. (2016). Making robot movies: An innovative international academic collaboration to teach transhumanism In: International Journal for Innovation, Education and Research, 4, 35 - 49
- Dethridge, L.,Schofield, D. (2016). Sci-fi movies 101: an international online collaboration and research-led production (starring robots) In: The Big Question, ASPERA 2016 Conference, University of Canberra, July 6-8 2016, Canberra, Australia, 5-7 July 2016
- Anderson, M.,Schofield, D.,Dethridge, L. (2015). New ways of seeing: Evaluating interactive user experiences in virtual art galleries In: Analyzing Art, Culture, and Design in the Digital Age, IGI Global, USA
- Dethridge, L. (2015). The Dream Children In: Script Editor Melbourne, Australia
- Rodgers, M.,Dethridge, L. (2015). Cross-discipline collaboration in business research: Filling a gap in business education In: Proceedings of the 2015 Business Research Consortium of Western New York (BRC 2015), St. Bonaventure, New York, United States, 18 April 2015
- Dethridge, L. (2015). Collaboration on staging and performance of two large-scale public performances: Eulogy for the Living and Mapping, Leader of Artist's Forum on Trance Performance Methods In: Melaka Festival of Performing Arts, Malaysia (MAPFEST 2015) Melaka, Malaysia
14 PhD Completions and 11 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions