Medical Physics, Radiation, Health Physics
- Dosimetric Modelling in Radiotherapy
- Characterisation of External Beam and Brachytherapy sources for Radiotherapy
- Monte Carlo simulation of radiation transport with applications to Ion Beam Analysis
- Heavy Ion Elastic Recoil Detection Analysis of surfaces and thin films
- Gamma Ray Spectroscopy of lung burdens in workers involved in the mining and milling of radioactive ores
- Radiation Delivery to a Moving Target - RMIT Institute for Sustainable Health and Well-Being project conducted in collaboration with Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre.
- Characterisation and Improvement of Radiation Beams used for Radiotherapy of Small Lesions. -Australian Research Council Linkage Project conducted jointly by RMIT and the William Buckland Radiotherapy Centre at The Alfred Hospital.
- In vivo Assessment of Radiation Dose from Inhalation of Radioactive Dust in the Mining and Milling of Radioactive Ores. - Australian Research Council Linkage Project conducted jointly by RMIT and the Australian Radiation Protection And Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA).
Grants and awards
- 2007 RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant.
- Consultant to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) advisory group to direct the activities of the IAEA Coordinated Research Project: Improvement of the Reliability and Accuracy of Heavy Ion Beam Nuclear Analytical Techniques.
- 2007 Nominated for Student’s Choice Teaching Award as part of the SET Pro-Vice Chancellor's Teaching Quality Awards
- 2005 Student’s Choice Teaching Award nominee
- 1999 Lecturer of the Year Award (2nd year) from the RMIT Physics Students Association
- Program Coordinator: Master of Applied Science (Medical and Health Physics)
- Course Coordinator: PHYS2089 Medical Imaging Physics; PHYS2090 Radiation Physics and Radiation Protection; PHYS2092 Radiation Transport Modelling and Radiotherapy Physics
- Lecturer: PHYS2076 Quantum Mechanics and Radiation Physics; PHYS1083 Advanced Laboratory Techniques; PHYS2074 Photonics and Nuclear Physics
- Previous: Radiation Laboratory Techniques, Classical Mechanics, Optics Laboratory; Medical Radiations Courses: Nuclear Medicine Technology, Radiological Imaging Technology, Medical Radiation Technology; Service Physics (for students of external departments and faculties): Instrumentation, Radiation and Thermodynamics, Satellite Physics, Optics, Mechanics.
- Bachelor of Science with Honours – Applied Mathematics, La Trobe University, 1989
- Diploma of Education, La Trobe University, 1991
- Doctor of Philosophy (Applied Physics), RMIT University, 2007
- Keehan, S.,Smith, R.,Millar, J.,Esser, M.,Taylor, M.,Lonski, P.,Kron, T.,Franich, R. (2017). Activation of hip prostheses in high energy radiotherapy and resultant dose to nearby tissue In: Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 18, 100 - 105
- Lonski, P.,Keehan, S.,Siva, S.,Pham, D.,Franich, R.,Taylor, M.,Kron, T. (2017). Out-of-field in vivo dosimetry using TLD in SABR for primary kidney cancer involving mixed photon fields In: Physica Medica, 37, 9 - 15
- Mong, L.,Wallace, A.,Franich, R. (2016). Asymmetric breast dose in coronary angiography In: Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 17, 532 - 541
- Smith, R.,Haworth, A.,Panettieri, V.,Millar, J.,Franich, R. (2016). A method for verification of treatment delivery in HDR prostate brachytherapy using a flat panel detector for both imaging and source tracking In: Medical Physics, 43, 2435 - 2442
- Keehan, S.,Taylor, M.,Smith, R.,Dunn, L.,Kron, T.,Franich, R. (2016). Dose and gamma-ray spectra from neutron-induced radioactivity in medical linear accelerators following high-energy total body irradiation In: Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 172, 327 - 332
- Taylor, M.,Yeo, U.,Supple, J.,Keehan, S.,Siva, S.,Kron, T.,Pham, D.,Haworth, A.,Franich, R. (2015). The importance of quasi-4D path-integrated dose accumulation for more accurate risk estimation in stereotactic liver radiotherapy In: Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, , 1 - 9
- Franich, R.,Supple, J.,Lindsay, B.,Yeo, U.,Lonski, P.,Smith, R.,Taylor, M.,Dunn, L.,Kron, T. (2015). Reproducibility assessment of dynamically deforming DEFGEL in a respiratory motion phantom In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on 3D Radiation Dosimetry (IC3DDose 2015), Ystad, Sweden, 4-7 September 2014
- Leary, M.,Kron, T.,Keller, C.,Franich, R.,Lonski, P.,Subic, A.,Brandt, M. (2015). Additive manufacture of custom radiation dosimetry phantoms: An automated method compatible with commercial polymer 3D printers In: Materials and Design, 86, 487 - 499
- Smith, R.,Panettieri, V.,Lancaster, C.,Mason, N.,Franich, R.,Millar, J. (2015). The influence of the dwell time deviation constraint (DTDC) parameter on dosimetry with IPSA optimisation for HDR prostate brachytherapy In: Australasian Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine, 38, 55 - 61
- Gagliardi, F.,Cornelius, I.,Blencowe, A.,Franich, R.,Geso, M. (2015). High resolution 3D imaging of synchrotron generated microbeams In: Medical Physics, 42, 6973 - 6986
- Establishment of Department of Health Associate Professor of Medical Physics. Funded by: Department of Health (State of Victoria) Contract from (2013 to 2018)
- Radiation oncology medical physics conjoint academic posts. Administered by University of Sydney. Funded by: Department of Health and Ageing Contract from (2013 to 2014)
- The national medical physics university network. Administered by University of Sydney. Funded by: Department of Health and Ageing Contract from (2013 to 2014)
- Real-time treatment verification system for high dose rate brachytherapy treatment of prostate cancer. Funded by: Department of Health and Ageing Contract from (2010 to 2014)
- Improvement of radiotherapy using hardened-beam imaging. Funded by: The CASS Foundation Science and Medicine Grant pre-2014 from (2010 to 2010)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
4 PhD Completions and 14 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
Medical and Radiotherapy Physics, radiation transport modelling, Health Physics, Ion Beam Analysis