- New product success, innovation and marketing
- Marketing interfaces (R&D, industrial design, artistic)
- Health, food and drinks, and entertainment industries
- The boundaries of commerce, public health, risk assessment and governance (protecting vulnerable groups, sustainable tourism, moral cognition)
Society has evolved from a producer and services driven society to one where relationships, well-being, and experiences claim central stage. My research focuses on new product development and market success in this changing arena. I study new products and organizations in industries such as motion pictures, games and music (creative industries) but also food and health. A key question is how organizations handle and organize fundamental trade-offs, for example between artistic and commercial forces, between consumer risk and benefit, or between proactive and reactive competitive strategies. I also like to compare industries that seem quite different at first and help develop new theories and thinking around innovation and marketing success. My past research, for example, has compared search engines with music festivals and Hollywood motion pictures and medicines.
- BA (Eindhoven University of Technology)
- MSc (Eindhoven University of Technology)
- PhD (Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University)
- 2012 (Summer). The Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia, Dept. of Marketing, Vancouver, Canada (3 months).
- 2004 (Winter). The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Dept. of Marketing, Philadelphia, USA (3 months).
- 2000. Sloan School of Management, MIT, Massachusetts Institute of technology, Centre for Product Innovation, Dept. of Marketing, Boston, USA (9 months)
- Ebbers, J.,Leenders, M.,Augustijn, J. (2021). Relationship value benefits of membership programs, heterogeneous stakeholders and museum impact beyond fees In: European Management Review, 18, 418 - 432
- Van Bueren, B.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Leenders, M.,Argus, K. (2021). Comprehensiveness of circular economy assessments of regions: A systematic review at the macro-level In: Environmental Research Letters, 16, 1 - 18
- Leenders, M.,Verghese, K. (2021). Opportunities and Barriers for the Australian Packaging and Processing Machinery Sector to Tackle Food Waste In: Fight Food Waste CRC and APPMA *Australian Packaging and Processing Machinery Association Australia
- Leenders, M.,Smidts, A.,El Haji, A. (2019). Ambient scent as a mood inducer in supermarkets: The role of scent intensity and time-pressure of shoppers In: Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 48, 270 - 280
- Jasper, S.,Leenders, M.,O'Shannassy, T. (2019). The dramatic breakdown of the market orientation concept in the pharmaceutical industry: lessons from Vioxx In: Journal of Strategic Marketing, 27, 227 - 247
- Knight, H.,Megicks, P.,Agarwal, S.,Leenders, M. (2019). Firm resources and the development of environmental sustainability among small and medium-sized enterprises: Evidence from the Australian wine industry In: Business Strategy and the Environment, 28, 25 - 39
- Lopez, C.,Leenders, M. (2019). Building a local identity through sellout crowds: the impact of brand popularity, brand similarity, and brand diversity of music festivals In: Journal of Strategic Marketing, 27, 435 - 450
- Krishen, A.,Leenders, M.,Muthaly, S.,LaTour, M. (2019). Social networking from a social capital perspective: a cross-cultural analysis In: European Journal of Marketing, 53, 1234 - 1253
- Zhou, M.,Leenders, M.,Cong, L. (2018). Ownership in the virtual world and the implications for long-term user innovation success In: Technovation, 78, 56 - 65
- Sabar, N.,Turky, A.,Leenders, M.,Song, A. (2018). Multi-population genetic algorithm for cardinality constrained portfolio selection problems In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference - Lecture Notes in Computer Science (ICCS 2018), Wuxi, China, 11-13 June 2018
10 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions