Dr Yasuhiro Tachibana is a Professor (School of Engineering, RMIT University) and Guest Professor (Osaka University, Japan).
Research (physical and material chemistry, physics and material sciences)
- Synthesis of novel semiconductor nanocrystals (metal halide perovskites and quantum dots) and metal oxide nanomaterials
- Development of semiconductor quantum dot solar cells
- Development of metal halide perovskite solar cells
- Development of photocatalytic solar hydrogen evolution or/and water splitting systems
- Development of photocatalytic water treatment
- Development of artificial photosynthetic systems
- Time-resolved laser spectroscopies of novel functional materials
Teaching (renewable energy)
- Program Manager for Master of Engineering (Sustainable Energy)
- Course co-ordinators of PV systems (MIET2130) and Renewable & Solar fuels (MIET2372)
1. Semiconductor Nanocrystals Solar Cells
- Synthesis of novel metal halide perovskites and semiconductor quantum dots
- Development of metal halide perovskite and semiconductor nanocrystals solar cells
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan
- Australia-Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme
- Kyoto University, Collaborative Research Program of Institute for Chemical Research, Japan
- Synthesis of novel metal oxide nanomaterials
- Development of photocatalytic devices
- Supported by Australian Research Council (ARC), Discovery Project, Australia
3. Development of time-resolved laser spectroscopies
- Wide time range and broad band transient absorption and emission spectroscopies
- Time-resolved microwave conductivity system (TRMC)
Total: 34 projects (CI: 29, Co-CI: 5), Grants: US$2,830,000.
- Australian Research Council (ARC): DP (2018-2020), LIEF (2020-2021), LIEF (2017-2018), LIEF (2013-2014)
- Universities Australia, Australia-Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme (2018-2019)
- Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education, Australia (2013)
- German-Australian Research Funds: DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (2011, 2013, 2016-2019)
- Japanese Government Research Funds: JST 2 grants (2009-2013, 2008-2009), JSPS 2 grants (2019-2021, 2016-2018), MEXT 4 grants (2009-2012, 2006-2009, 2006-2008, 2003-2005), NEDO (2005-2006).
- Private Foundations and Companies: 10 grants
B.Eng., M. Eng., Ph.D., MJCS, MJAPS
- 2000 PhD (Chemistry) Imperial College London, U.K.
- 1995 M. Eng. (Chemical Process Engineering) Osaka University, Japan
- 1992 B. Eng. (Applied Chemistry) Osaka University, Japan
- 2020- Professor: RMIT University, Australia
- 2020- Guest Professor: Osaka University, Japan
- 2012- Associate Professor: RMIT University, Australia
- 2009- Adjunct Associate Professor: Osaka University, Japan
- 2009- JST PRESTO Researcher: Japan Science and Technology Agency, Japan
- 2009-2011 Senior Lecturer: RMIT University, Australia
- 2004-2009 Associate Professor: Osaka University, Japan
- 2002-2004 Assistant Professor: Osaka University, Japan
- 2000-2002 Centre of Excellence (COE) Postdoctoral Fellowship,
- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan
- 1998- 2000 Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Postdoctoral Fellow, Imperial College London, U. K.
Journal editorial work
- Editor Board Member (2014-): Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group, Macmillan Publishers Limited.
- Editor (2011): Proceedings of SPIE, Solar Hydrogen and Nanotechnology VI
Selected conference organisation
- 39th International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC 2015), Daytona Beach, USA, 26-31 January 2015.
- 38th International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC 2014), Daytona Beach, USA, 26-31 January 2014.
- 10th International Meeting of Pacific Rim Ceramic Societies (PacRim10), San Diego, USA, 2-7 June 2013.
- Material Research Society (MRS) Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA, 1-5 April 2013.
- The international Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), Chairman, San Diego, USA, 21-25 August 2011.
- Material Research Society (MRS) Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA, 26-29 April 2011.
- American Ceramic Society
- Japan Chemical Society
- Japan Applied Physics Society
- Deo, M.,Mollmann, A.,Haddad, J.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y., et al, . (2022). Tantalum Oxide as an Efficient Alternative Electron Transporting Layer for Perovskite Solar Cells In: Nanomaterials, 12, 1 - 14
- Liu, H.,Liu, M.,Nakamura, R.,Tachibana, Y. (2021). Primary photocatalytic water reduction and oxidation at an anatase TiO2 and Pt-TiO2 nanocrystalline electrode revealed by quantitative transient absorption studies In: Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 296, 1 - 9
- Bajaj, N.,Periasamy, S.,Singh, R.,Tachibana, Y.,Daeneke, T.,Chiang, K. (2021). The catalytic decomposition of carbon dioxide on zinc-exchanged Y-zeolite at low temperatures In: Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 96, 2675 - 2680
- Kulkarni, A.,Ünlü, F.,Pant, N.,Tachibana, Y., et al, . (2021). Concerted Ion Migration and Diffusion-Induced Degradation in Lead-Free Ag3BiI6 Rudorffite Solar Cells under Ambient Conditions In: Solar RRL, 5, 1 - 10
- Mai, H.,Chen, D.,Tachibana, Y.,Suzuki, H.,Abe, R.,Caruso, R. (2021). Developing sustainable, high-performance perovskites in photocatalysis: Design strategies and applications In: Chemical Society Reviews, 50, 13692 - 13729
- Padmaperuma, P.,Liu, M.,Nakamura, R.,Tachibana, Y. (2021). Photoinduced Charge Carrier Dynamics of Metal Chalcogenide Semiconductor Quantum Dot Sensitized TiO2 Film for Photovoltaic Application In: Journal of Photopolymer Science and Technology, 34, 271 - 278
- Masai, H.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y.,Tsuda, S.,Terao, J. (2020). Synthesis of Insulated Heteroaromatic Platinum-Acetylide Complexes with Color-Tunable Phosphorescence in Solution and Solid States In: Journal of Organic Chemistry, 85, 3082 - 3091
- Kaneko, S.,Masai, H.,Yokoyama, T.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y.,Fujihara, T.,Tsuji, Y.,Terao, J. (2020). Complementary Color Tuning by HCl via Phosphorescence-to-Fluorescence Conversion on Insulated Metallopolymer Film and its Light-Induced Acceleration In: Polymers, 12, 1 - 10
- Masai, H.,Yokoyama, T.,Miyagishi, H.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y.,Fujihara, T.,Tsuji, Y.,Terao, J. (2020). Insulated conjugated bimetallopolymer with sigmoidal response by dual self-controlling system as a biomimetic material In: Nature Communications, 11, 1 - 8
- Furer, S.,Milhuisen, R.,Kashif, M.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y., et al, . (2020). The Performance-Determining Role of Lewis Bases in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Employing Copper-Bisphenanthroline Redox Mediators In: Advanced Energy Materials, 10, 1 - 13
2 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Australia-Japan collaborative development of next generation solar cells. Funded by: Australia-Japan Foundation (AJF) Grant 2018 onwards from (2022 to 2024)
- Australia-Japan collaborative development of next generation solar cells. Funded by: Australia-Japan Foundation (AJF) Grant 2018 onwards from (2022 to 2023)
- Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy Facility (administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: ARC LIEF via other University from (2020 to 2022)
- Hybrid photocatalytic nanomaterials for water purification. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2018 from (2018 to 2022)
- Spectroscopy and Imaging Platform for Photoactive Materials (Administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2018)