Professor John Thangarajah's passion is in innovation and leadership.
He is a Professor in Artificial Intelligence and the Associate Dean (Head) of Computer Science and Software Engineering at RMIT University.
His interests are in Agent Oriented Software Development (how do we build and construct Intelligent Systems), Agent Reasoning (how can programs behave in smart ways), Intelligent Conversation Systems (how can systems interact intelligently satisfying a user's information needs), Agent Testing (providing assurance that the systems work) and in Intelligent Games (how can intelligent game masters be introduced into role playing games).
He collaborates with industry partners and researchers both local and international and have secured research grants from both government and industry sectors. He also has many years experience in teaching IT related courses to undergraduate, postgraduate and industry personnel.
Professor John Thangarajah's goal is to continue to be involved in developing smart systems that are not only intellectually challenging but also have practical benefit and impact.
Associate Professor John Thangarajah has taught and continues to teach a variety of courses, both undergraduate and postgraduate ranging from general Programming courses to more specialised Artificial Intelligence courses.
- PhD. Computer Science, RMIT University, 2005
- Vukovic, M.,Sethu, V.,Parker, J.,Cavedon, L.,Lech, M.,Thangarajah, J. (2019). Estimating cognitive load from speech gathered in a complex real-life training exercise In: International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 124, 116 - 133
- Evertsz, R.,Thangarajah, J.,Ly, T. (2019). Practical Modelling of Dynamic Decision Making, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Dann, M.,Zambetta, F.,Thangarajah, J. (2019). Deriving Subgoals Autonomously to Accelerate Learning in Sparse Reward Domains. In: Proceedings of the Thirty-Third AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2019), Hawaii, United States, 27 January - 1 February 2019
- De Waal, G.,Thangarajah, J.,McMurray, A. (2019). Artificial Intelligence and Frugal Innovation: A formidable alliance in Future Education In: Management and Business Education in the Time of Artificial Intelligence, Information Age Publishing, Incorporated, Charlotte, USA
- Dann, M.,Zambetta, F.,Thangarajah, J. (2018). Integrating skills and simulation to solve complex navigation tasks in infinite Mario In: IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games, 10, 101 - 106
- Dann, M.,Zambetta, F.,Thangarajah, J. (2018). Exploration in Continuous Control Tasks via Continually Parameterized Skills In: IEEE Transactions on Games, 10, 390 - 399
- Logan, B.,Thangarajah, J.,Yorke-Smith, N. (2017). Progressing Intention Progression: A Call for a Goal-Plan Tree Contest In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 8-12 May 2017
- Yadav, N.,Thangarajah, J.,Sardina, S. (2017). Agent design consistency checking via planning In: Proceedings of the 26h International Joint Conferences on Artifical Intelligence (IJCAI 2017), Melbourne, Australia, 19-25 August 2017
- Dann, M.,Zambetta, F.,Thangarajah, J. (2017). Real-time navigation in classical platform games via skill reuse In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Melbourne, Australia, 19-25 August 2017
- Evertsz, R.,Thangarajah, J.,Papasimeon, M. (2017). The Conceptual Modelling of Dynamic Teams for Autonomous Systems In: Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER2017), Valencia, Spain, 6-9 November 2017
3 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions