Dr Li Ping Thong is an experienced digital media artist, academic and researcher. She currently lectures and coordinates courses of the Bachelor of Design (Digital Media) program.
As a digital media artist and lecturer, Dr Li Ping Thong has experience practicing, teaching and researching in a myriad range of digital media specialisations, including 2D/3D animation, interactive media, motion design, digital illustration, e-learning technologies, serious games and virtual reality.
Li Ping spent several years as a design practitioner in the industry working with animation, graphic design and web design. Always motivating her students to do perform at their very best, she is also an experienced and passionate educator with an internationalised experience, having started teaching at tertiary level across Malaysia, Vietnam and Australia since 2006.
Li Ping's research interests include:
- Serious games
- Interactive media
- Virtual reality
- Interactive storytelling
- User experience design
- Digital environments
- Innovative digital media projects
Her PhD study, successfully completed at the Serious Games Institute (SGI) of Coventry University, investigated the learning effectiveness of digital role-playing games (RPG) to accomplish learning outcomes in digital media education.
Teaching Commendation – RMIT University Vietnam (2012)
Dean's List – Multimedia University (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)
- XperienceVR (Chief Investigator) - Industry partnered Design Studio (Category 3 research contract) - 2017
- Voice Story Language Learning App (Team Member) - RMIT Research and Innovation - Research Translation Seed Funding - 2017
Government Mobility Grant
- New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grant - Digital Media Creative Collaboration - 2017
- Lecturer, Bachelor of Design (Digital Media)
- Selection Officer, Bachelor of Design (Digital Media)
- Year level Coordinator, Bachelor of Design (Digital Media)
- Course Coordinator, Bachelor of Design (Digital Media)
- PhD in Computing (Serious Games), Coventry University
- Master of Multimedia (E-Learning Technologies), Multimedia University
- Bachelor of Multimedia (Film and Animation), Multimedia University
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching, RMIT University
- Autodesk 3d Studio Max End User Certification
- Final Cut Pro End User Certification
2015 – present: Lecturer, RMIT University
Lecturer of the Digital Media program, course coordinating and teaching subjects in the areas of design theories/fundamentals, interactive media, web design, motion design and virtual reality.
2008 – 2015: Senior Lecturer, RMIT University Vietnam
Provided leadership in design education pedagogy, program/course development and related functions of the Design Department. Taught courses in the areas of design fundamentals, interactive media, digital illustration and 3d animation.
2006 –2008: Lecturer, Taylor's university
Lecturer for multimedia subjects, cross teaching for foundation, diploma and degree programmes for the School of Communication.
2005: AV Application Specialist, Taylor's University
Provided assistance to staff and students in software and conducted multimedia workshops for academics as part of the Teaching and Learning centre initiative.
2005 – 2008: Designer, Hunter Studios
Undertook design projects such as 3d set designs, web designs, interactive applications etc.
2005: Photographer/Graphic Designer, Fotorex Holdings
Event photographer. Also involved in digital photo restorations.
2004 – 2005: Animator/Graphic Designer, Flextronics Asia
Designed marketing materials, billboard designs and interface/interaction designs of touch-screen kiosks.
2004: Animator/Line Artist, FAT Lizard
Animator and line artist for BBC TV production
- McCauley, B.,Thong, L.,Nkhoma, M.,Nguyen, N. (2017). Vietnam run: an alternative approach to mobile learning In: Proceedings of the 20th Informing Science and Information Technology Education Conference (InSITE 2017), Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), Vietnam, 31 July-5 August 2017
- McCauley, B.,Thong, L.,Nkhoma, M. (2017). Developing a mobile game with social impact In: Proceedings of the 2017 Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC 2017), Melbourne, Australia, 4-6 December 2017
- Thong, L.,Stewart, C.,Lameras, P.,Arnab, S. (2016). Virtual designer: digital role-playing game for knowledge transferal in design education In: Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Games Based Learning (ECGBL 2016), Paisley, Scotland, 6-7 October 2016
- Thong, L. (2014). Situated learning with role-playing games to improve transfer of learning in tertiary education classrooms In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Games and Virtual Worlds for Serious Applications (VS-GAMES 2014), Msida, Malta, 9-12 September 2014
- Thong, L. (2013). Implementing A Cognitive Apprenticeship To Create A Situated Learning Environment For Advanced 3D Animation Students: Implications For Student Learning And Interaction In: TARC International Conference on Learning and Teaching - Innovation And Transformation In Learning And Teaching, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 21 - 22 October, 2013
4 PhD Current Supervisions