Dr. Sonika Tyagi is an Associate Professor of Digital Health and Bioinformatics at the School of Computational Technologies, RMIT University Australia. She is also an affiliate Machine Learning lead scientist at Central Clinical School Monash University Australia. Her expertise is in developing new machine learning (ML) tools and pipelines, and applying these methods to solve biological and clinical research questions. Her current research focuses on integrative approaches to health informatics and genomics. Her group applies deep learning and natural language processing techniques to study genome
We are passionate about science and solving scientific problems. Our group is dedicated to providing an inclusive and safe environment for everybody to work in. We expect cooperation from existing and new members to adhere to the core values for the integrity of research.
INCLUSIVENESS | OPENNESS | HONESTY | ACCOUNTABILITY | STEWARDSHIP
Sonika is a NHMRC chief investigator to computationally study human birth (2017) and for Targeted Delivery of Nucleic Acid Therapeutics for Preventing Preterm Birth (2022-25). In 2020 she was also awarded an AISRF Early Mid Career Research (EMCR) fellowship by the Australian Academy of Science to develop AI models for the diagnosis of preterm birth. She has received industry funding (2018-22), and University grants (2019-20) for developing AI resources to study genetic diseases. Sonika was a finalist for Women in AI (WAI) awards - Australia-NewZealand 2022 in the "AI in Health" category.
With strong abilities in teamwork, research and leadership Sonika is actively involved in advisory boards of diagnostic start-ups, and utilising expertise to facilitate the translation of research into practical applications through commercialisation.
Selected conference attendance
- Invited Panelist at AWSN event: "Safely Harnessing the Power of ChatGPT and Artificial Intelligence'
- National Computational Infrastructure (NCI) TechTake Speaker September 2022 on "ML Applications and Challenges in Computational Biology and Healthcare" May 2023.
- Invited Speaker at Digital Health Festival May 2022 Australia
- Invited VIP delegate at "Advancing AI" conference Melbourne 2022 (organized by Data Futurology)
- Invited Panelist for Research Software Sustainability discussion organized by ARDC and AusBiocommons Geb 2022
- Invited Career Panelist COMBINE 2021
- Organizing member, program chair, and presenter at the virtual Australian Bioinformatics Society conference ABACBS2020.
- Selected Oral talk at Deep Learning Symposium in Medical Biology (DLiMB) 2020, WEHI Melbourne Australia
- TyagiLab presents at the virtual ISMB 2020.
- The scientific committee member and presenter at the virtual Bioinformatics Community Conference & Galaxy Community Conference 2020 #bcc2020 (July 2020).
- Invited delegate at the virtual Education Summit 2020 organized by EMBL-EBI and ELIXIR (May 2020.)
- Invited talk at InBix'20, an International Bioinformatics Conference December 2020 India.
- Keynote talk at APBionet Symposium on Bioinformatics, Dec 2019.
- Invited talk on "Integrative Approaches to Computational Epigenomics" at the Children Medical Research Institute Sydney 2019.
- The program committee member of the joint ABACBS/GIW2019 Sydney Australia.
- Invited Computational Biology session chair at Lorne Genome 2019 Australia.
- Invited talk on "Exploring epigenome using ChIPseq and ATACseq" at the Bioinformatics Winter school 2018 at UQ Brisbane.
- Invited Bioinformatics session chair, and presented a poster on "Identification of mature miRNA using feed-forward neural network" Lorne Genome 2018 Australia.
- Organizing of Bioinfosummer 2017 Monash University Melbourne Australia
- ISMB-ECCB 2017, Prague: Tyagi S, Schneider MV, Morgan SL, et al. GOBLET Standards Committee: our activities and forward vision F1000Research 2017.
- GAMe 2017: Scientific Committee chair, session chair, and RADseq workshop lead at the first Galaxy Australasia Meeting, Melbourne, Australia.
- Festival of Bioinformatics 2016. Presentation on "Small RNA Profiling Using Different Sample Preparation Protocols and Input Amounts"
- Festival of Bioinformatics 2016: Presentation on "Global Mapping of Bioinformatics Training in Australia".
- Invited talk on "Minion brings the power of genomics to the palm of your hand" at the 'Back to future Computational Biology Conference' JNU New Delhi Dec 2015.
- Invited talk on "NGS Data Analysis Toolkit" at LaTrobe University Bioinformatics User Group Meeting Australia. 2015.
- Invited talk on "Best practices in RNAseq data analysis" at the annual BioinfoSummer 2014, Monash University.
- Invited talk on "Are we in the era of personalized medicine ?" at an international conference on 'Future Challenges of Computational and Integrated Sciences' Nov 2014.
- Invited AGRF Special User Group Talk on "RNA sequencing: Challenges and Opportunities" at ARMI, Monash University 2013.
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Ramakrishnaiah, Y.,Macesic, N.,Webb, G.,Peleg, A.,Tyagi, S. (2023). EHR-QC: A streamlined pipeline for automated electronic health records standardisation and preprocessing to predict clinical outcomes In: Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 147, 1 - 10