Your Equitable Learning Plan

Register with us if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term illness and/or
  • mental health condition, or
  • are the primary carer for an individual with a disability.

We can arrange adjustments so that your uni work is not affected by your circumstances.

When you register with us we will develop an Equitable Learning Plan for you. This plan includes any study adjustments that you need.

These adjustments are Equitable Assessment Arrangements.

Have a chat to the staff at ELS, they are super lovely and here to help you. They will assist in putting together your Equitable Learning Plan and make it as stress free a process as possible.

Michelle Gissara | Bachelor of Criminology and Psychology, graduated with Distinction mid-2020, and Bachelor of Justice and Criminology (Honours), will graduate mid-2021.

Adjustments to your study conditions

It's best if you register for our service as soon as you enrol. Then we can discuss, and plan for, any adjustments to your study and assessment conditions.

Examples of adjustments

During semester:
  • the provision of equipment such as assistive technology
  • course materials in other formats
  • note takers and other enabling assistance staff such as Auslan interpreters.



During exams:

  • additional writing or reading time
  • rest breaks
  • someone to write and/or read for you
  • the use of a computer
  • your exam paper in a different format
  • a private room for the exam
  • ergonomic furniture.


Course materials in other formats

If you have trouble reading printed material, we can provide your course materials in another format. Most alternative formats are in electronic form.

It's best if you register for our service as soon as you enrol. You can then provide us with a list of your subjects. We can organise to convert your course materials into the format you need.

Enabling assistance staff

Enabling staff work with you in lectures, tutorials, seminars, practical sessions and exams.

These staff can:

  • take notes for you
  • interpret for you using Auslan
  • assist you to get the most out of your time in class.

Enabling staff do not provide tutoring.

The Enabling Assistance Student Handbook (PDF) explains all about having a note taker, Auslan interpreter or participation assistant. This document includes an agreement form, on page 13, which you need to sign before receiving enabling assistance.

Have more questions about Enabling Assistance? 

Assistive technology

There is a range of technologies available on campus to assist you with your studies.

When you register with Equitable Learning Services we can:

  • discuss which technologies are most suitable for you.
  • introduce you to other items that might be helpful.
  • show you how they work.

Dragon speech recognition software

For: if you have difficulties typing and writing.

What it does:

  • Converts speech to text: the computer ‘types’ what you say into a Word document (or other formats).
  • Allows you to use the computer with minimal use of keyboard or mouse.

Where to find it: Register with us for access.

A transcript of the video can be found here.


For: if you have difficulties reading print materials

What is does:

  • Reads electronic text to you in a life-like voice.
  • Additional features can assist you with reading and writing tasks.

Where to find it: Register with us for access.

A transcript of the video can be found here.

Read and Write Gold

Please note: Read and Write Gold is no longer supported or updated as the university uses ClaroRead

For: if you have difficulties reading due to disability

What it does: reads electronic text to you in a life-like voice. Additional features can assist you with reading and writing tasks.

Where to find it: on PCs at student labs and the Library.

Instructions for using Read and Write Gold (PDF).


For: if you have low vision or disabilities that make it difficult to view information on computer screens.

What it does:

  • increase the size of text and information on your computer screen
  • read text aloud to you in a life-like voice, handy if you are required to read lengthy documents
  • change the contrast and enhance other commonly used features on computers.

Where to find it: Register with us for access.


For: if you have low vision or are blind.

What it does:

  • give you access to the internet and other software applications
  • allow you to use a Windows computer by using the keyboard only and without needing to look at the computer screen.

Where to find it: Register with us for access.

Communicating with us

What you can expect of us

We will give careful attention to your request for information, assistance, and/or advice and provide you with current details on services and programs relevant to your participation on RMIT Campuses.

If we are able to provide you with a service, we will:

  • do this as quickly as possible, acting fairly, independently, and impartially
  • acknowledge every enquiry lodged through RMIT Connect within 48 to 72 hours of receipt
  • treat confidential information with respect, adhering to all relevant legislation

If we cannot assist you, we will explain why and advise you of any other more appropriate avenues for meeting your needs.

What you can do for us

To ensure that we can provide you with the very best service please:

  • give some thought to your questions so we can find or provide what you need quickly
  • treat our staff with courtesy and respect
  • provide as much notice as you can if you require assistance while studying at RMIT

What we don't do

We cannot provide you with:

  • case management
  • taking on an advocacy role in relation to individual grievances
  • support that substitutes teaching and learning (e.g., private tutoring)
  • career advice
  • counselling
  • personal care (however if you require personal care please ask your Equitable Adjustment Advisor for advice regarding how you might go about arranging such services)


We need your views and feedback to continually improve our services. 

If you have concerns about the service you have received from us and wish to discuss these issues further, please speak with the staff member providing your support. If you are unsatisfied at this point, you can ask that your situation be referred to the Manager. If you are still not satisfied, the Manager will advise you of the process for lodging a formal complaint.