RMIT offers two international tuition fee scholarships: the RTP International Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) and the RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS).
RIFOS scholarships are funded by the Australian Government and RRITFS scholarships are funded by RMIT University. When you apply for a research scholarship through one of the University’s rounds, you will automatically be considered for all the scholarships for which you are eligible.
Value and duration
Both RIFOS and RRITFS scholarships provide tuition fees for a period of 3 years, with the possibility of a 6 month extension.
The cost of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa is also provided. If you have dependants, both international tuition fee scholarships will provide OSHC that also covers them.
If you are awarded a tuition fee scholarship, your scholarship will be partnered with a stipend scholarship which will provide you with a living allowance.
This scholarship is for PhD or Masters by Research students only. To be considered for scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- an Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above)
- publications or significant research experience that could be considered equivalent.
International applicants applying for scholarship must be in receipt of an RMIT program offer for the relevant enrolment period, by the close of the scholarship round to be considered.
You must have been offered a program place that is not conditional on meeting English language requirements,
You must provide evidence of English language proficiency and meet the English language requirement of the research program before the application closing date of the scholarship round.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- not already hold a PhD or equivalent, if applying for a PhD
- not already hold a Master by research or equivalent, if applying for a Master by research program.
RMIT will consider you ineligible if:
- you have not met the RMIT English requirements by the close of the scholarship round
- you have held an Australian Awards / DFAT scholarship in the two years prior to commencing the Research Degree with an international tuition fee scholarship
- you are receiving a scholarship for which any component receives funding from the Australian Government
- you have previously received international tuition fee and stipend scholarships for a Research Doctorate, unless you are upgrading from a Research Masters Degree at RMIT.
Key dates and how to apply
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
Terms and conditions
As the holder of this scholarship you:
- must commence your studies in the scholarship commencement period in which you are applying
- are not able to defer your studies to another year. If a deferral is required, you must apply again the following year if you are unable to take up your award.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
SGR Scholarships team
+61 3 9925 5570