Main present research interests: lighter-than-air aircraft technology and flight (performance) analysis; aerospace propulsion systems.
Emerging interests: aerobiology, biological flight.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in all areas of aerospace design, flight performance analysis and flight dynamics, including natural flight and bio-inspired systems.
Current awards: AMSI Aerochute Pty Ltd project to develop alternative powered parawing-trike.
Other research-related project websites: Dendronautics.
Graham Dorrington has participated in several documentaries:
- Teaching and coordinating this semester:
- AERO2360 Aerospace Propulsion
- AERO2366, Aerospace Group Project (Critical Design)
- AERO2423, Aerospace Special Project (UFAV).
- Supervising individual 4th year projects.
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, UK (1989)
Previous employment with: European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC) Noordwijk (the Netherlands); RAE Farnborough and Bedford (UK), British Aerospace (Space and Communications. Div); British Aerospace Aircraft Division (Chester and Hatfield UK); Monarch Airlines (UK); Hamilton Airship Company (South Africa); Southampton University (UK); Queen Mary, University of London (UK).
Formerly: Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, ESA Research Fellow
Designed, built and flew two ultra-light (battery-electric motor powered) airships over tropical rain forest, Sabah (1995), Guyana (2004).
- Herringer, J.,Lester, D.,Dorrington, G.,Rosengarten, G. (2019). Can diatom girdle band pores act as a hydrodynamic viral defense mechanism? In: Journal of Biological Physics, 45, 213 - 234
- Dorrington, G. (2018). Rationale and concept for a lunar pit reconnaissance probe In: The Aeronautical Journal, 122, 666 - 691
- Herringer, J.,Lester, D.,Dorrington, G.,Rosengarten, G.,Mitchell, J. (2017). Hydrodynamic drift ratchet scalability In: American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, 63, 2358 - 2366
- Dorrington, G.,Silva, J.,Bil, C.,Marzocca, P. (2017). On the potential of lighter-than-air and hybrid aircraft for the Australian civil sector In: Proceedings of the 17th Australian International Aerospace Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 26-29 February 2017
- Bil, C.,Dorrington, G. (2017). Student assessment in team project-based learning: Challenges and experiences In: Proceedings of the EDULEARN17 Conference, Barcelona, Spain, 3 - 5 July 2017
- Dorrington, G.,Ogawa, H.,Trivailo, P. (2017). Enceladus Plume and Icy Body Exospheric Particle Sampling Using Rotating Tether and Alternative Architectures In: 68th International Astronautical Congress, Adelaide, Australia, 25-29 September 2017
- Dorrington, G. (2016). Heavily loaded flight and limits to the maximum size of dragonflies (Anisoptera) and griffenflies (Meganisoptera) In: Lethaia, 49, 261 - 274
- Dorrington, G. (2016). Certification and performance: What is needed from an aviation fuel? In: Biofuels for Aviation, Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Michael, C.,Ogawa, H.,Dorrington, G. (2015). Thrust augmentation through after-burning in scramjet nozzles In: Advances in aircraft and spacecraft science, 2, 183 - 198
- Michael, C.,Ogawa, H.,Dorrington, G. (2014). Thrust augmentation by after-burning in a scramjet nozzle In: Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference 2014, Melbourne, Australia, 8-11 December 2014
3 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions
- Above Water Laser Communication. Funded by: Lockheed Martin Competitive from (2021 to 2022)