Francis has been an active researcher for the last twenty years. His research interests lie primarily in the qualitative area both in the consumption and management domain. He has published widely in leading journals and his research encompasses marketing strategy, branding, consumer culture, sport marketing and sponsorship, and product design. Francis has been invited to speak on his research institutions such as at the Harvard Business School, the London School of Economics, and the University of Oregon, Ecole Supe´rieure de Commerce de Paris (ESCP), EM Lyon, and several Universities in Australia.
Research Projects and Funding
Professor Farrelly has been the recipient of numerous external research grants. Some of these grants are noted below.
- 2014: Surfing or Diving? An exploration of student's practices and attitudes towards technology for learning. Funded by: HERDSA Office of Learning and Teaching
- 2010: Vic Health – ($190, 000) – Drinking-Related Lifestyles: Development and implementation of lifestyle segmentation model (with Reid, Fry and Farrell).
- 2008: Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery – ($35, 000) – Developing a Brand Authenticity Scale (with Beverland, Napoli and Dickson).
- 2005: Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery ($100,500) – Sharing values / Brands and Co-creation (with Quester and Beverland).
- 2004: Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Grant ($238,000) – (CI) - A Model of Sport Fan Involvement and Loyalty (with Quester and Beverland).
Francis has also received research funding from a range of organizations including the AFL, the NBL, Telstra, and the Federal Government.
Professor Farrelly has had a long and distinguished teaching career. His teaching interests include strategic marketing, marketing principles and consumer behaviour.
He has published widely on teaching quality, published numerous teaching materials including a Harvard Business School case on iSnack (the new vegemite), and secured in excess of $500,000 in teaching grants including national competitive grants.
He has been the recipient of several teaching awards including the Pearson Australia and New Zealand Distinguished Marketing Educator of the Year Award. He currently coordinates and teaches on the Bachelor of Business Honours Program.
- PhD in Marketing, University of Adelaide, 2002.
- Master of Business/Marketing, Monash University, 1996.
- Bachelor of Business/Marketing, Monash University, 1990.
Francis has consulted on marketing projects for numerous organisations both in Australia and in international markets over a twenty-year period ranging from one-off projects to long-term strategic plans over a period of years.
This includes work with Australian Football League (AFL), the National Basketball League (NBL) and several professional sports teams, as well as numerous other organisations such as Rip Curl, the TAC and World Vision. In his role as Board Member of the Destination Company, he has also worked for firms including Herbert Smith Freehills, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar Land Rover, and BMW.
He also worked on a major project relating to sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympics with the Lane 4 Group. Francis acted as a research leader of the food innovation hub/network, an extension of the Prime Ministers task force working toward building Australia’s innovation capacity in the Asian Century. Francis has also written Whitepapers for the Federal Government on Building Australian Brands in Asia.
- Gebhardt, G.,Farrelly, F.,Conduit, J. (2019). Market Intelligence Dissemination Practices In: Journal of Marketing, 83, 72 - 90
- Farrelly, F. (2019). Revealing the memorial experience through the tourist-led construction of imagined communities In: Tourism Management, 75, 13 - 21
- Westberg, K.,Stavros, C.,Farrelly, F.,Smith, A. (2019). (In Press) Fan empathy as a response to athlete transgressions In: Sport Management Review, , 1 - 17
- Kock, F.,Josiassen, A.,Assaf, A.,Karpen, I.,Farrelly, F. (2018). Tourism Ethnocentrism and Its Effects on Tourist and Resident Behavior In: Journal of Travel Research, 58, 427 - 439
- McCauley, B.,Kopanidis, F.,Farrelly, F.,Greuter, S. (2018). Always On: Understanding the Intrinsic Motivations for Playing Games on Smartphones and the Effect of User Characteristics In: Loading..., 11, 1 - 20
- Chung-Moya, E.,Farrelly, F.,Beverland, M.,Karpen, I. (2017). Loyalty or liability: Resolving the consumer fanaticism paradox In: Marketing Theory, 18, 3 - 30
- Chung-Moya, E.,Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Exploring voids and consumer addiction In: Rediscovering the Essentiality of Marketing, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland
- Beverland, M.,Micheli, P.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Resourceful sensemaking: overcoming barriers between marketing and design in NPD In: Journal of Product Innovation Management, 33, 628 - 648
- Conduit, J.,Karpen, I.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Student engagement: A multiple layer phenomenon In: Making a Difference Through Marketing, Springer, Singapore
- Napoli, J.,Dickinson, S.,Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F. (2014). Measuring consumer-based brand authenticity In: Journal of Business Research, 67, 1090 - 1098
- Surfing or Diving? An exploration of student's practices and attitudes towards technology for learning. Funded by: HERDSA Office of Learning and Teaching Grant from (2013 to 2014)
- Drinking-Related Lifestyles: Development and implementation of lifestyle segmentation model for problem drinking interventions through improved media and message targeting. Funded by: VicHealth Innovation Grant Pre-2014 from (2010 to 2013)
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions