Dr Simon Thornton is passionate about helping any student gain the applied knowledge they need to become a successful future business professional.
Dr Simon Thornton is a strong educational academic with a demonstrated history of working in the marketing and higher education industries providing experience in; communication, creative agencies, market research and face-to-face/online teaching.
Areas of expertise include; Work Integrated Learning (WIL), Industry engagement in education, and Innovation and Enterprise. Specialist skills include; Program management, course creation and administration, lecturing, tutoring, mentoring, online studies and research techniques.
Program Manager Bachelor of Business (Innovation & Enterprise)
This new degree is multi-disciplinary providing students with the opportunity to investigate the future of business from a broad base and at the intersection of technology and change. Through this exciting new approach we aim to equip these young adults with the skills, competencies and knowledge needed to become future business professionals in a rapidly evolving world.
Work Integrated Leaning (WIL) Academic College of Business & Law
Responsible for developing the applied knowledge and work ready skills of our undergraduate and postgraduates student cohorts. This is achieved via the supervision of over 40 Industry Engagement Work Integrated Leaning (WIL) courses in Melbourne, Vietnam and Singapore.
Previous teaching experience, RMIT Schools of Economics Finance and Marketing:
- Product Innovation & Management – 2010 - 2019
- Consumer Behaviour (Postgraduate) – 2012 - 2019
- Product Innovation & Management (Masters) - Online, 2017
- Consumer Behaviour (Masters) - Online, 2017
- Service Quality, 2013 – 2019
- Service Quality, (Masters) - 2016
- Business to Business Marketing, 2011-2012
- Strategic Marketing - 2010
- MKTG 1092 Product Innovation & Management – 2017
- MKTG 1270 Product Innovation & Management – 2017
- MKTG 1322 Product Innovation & Management – 2017
- MKTG 1398 Product Innovation & Management (Masters) - Online, 2017
- MKTG1391 Consumer Behaviour (Masters) - Online, 2017-2019
Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore 2011-2016
I travel to Singapore to teach the first three lectures of RMIT courses, liaise with local tutors/administrative staff and set the parameters for the semester
Academic Mentor / Industry liaison
Academic mentoring work industry learning (WIL) marketing programme. Visiting around 100 students in their chosen workplace to assess their progress both academically and professionally. I assess each student create reports with allocated grades based on assignment work and employer feedback.
Competition mentoring 2013-14
Australasian Association of Convenience Stores (AACS)
- PhD Doctor of Philosophy (Marketing) Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, 2017
- National Vocational Qualification Level 4 Marketing Products and Services - The Chartered Institute of Marketing UK, 1997
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Leeds University, UK, 1994
Between 1994-2009 I worked for two UK companies in the creative communications marketing and market research fields. A summary of my achievement in this time is a follows:
Over 15 years account management experience
- Successful client management and brand building for clients such as: AELTCC (Wimbledon), Teleware Plc, The Learning and Skills Council
- Delivered both qualitative and quantitative market research projects for state funded clients
- Organised and delivered national educational events for staff and students
- Company director, Questions Answered Ltd, York (2001-2006)
- Company director, Brackenhill Design (2006-2009)
- Founding shareholder and company director, Print Revolution, Nottingham (2002-2009)
- Secondary school governor (Industry), Canon Lee School, York (2006-2009)