Dr Francisco Tovar received the B. Eng. in Mechanical Engineering from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), and the Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. He was awarded with an ARC-DECRA and a Vice Chancellor Research Fellow at RMIT in 2012. His research projects involve the creation and development technology to advance knowledge in biomedicine. He also has experience working internationally as a mechanical engineer in the biomedical industry developing artificial organs. He specialises in mechanical design, computational simulation, micro/nano fabrication, fluid experimental techniques and programming languages.
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Lab-on-a-Chip technologies
- Fluid experimental techniques (micro PIV)
- Computational simulation of solid and fluid mechanics.
- Fluid Dynamics: OpenFOAM.
- Solid Mechanics: OpenFOAM, Ansys basic and advanced non-linear
- Membranes and films: Surface evolver
Course coordinator for:
- EEET2493 Biomedical Instrumentation
- MIET2398 Cardiovascular Engineering
- EEET1142, Problem Solving and Thesis Preparation
- EEET2449 Research Methods
- Tutor of Engineering Computing.
Supervising post-graduate and final year graduate students.
- Ph.D., RMIT University, Melbourne. Biomedical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering, UNAM, National University of Mexico.
- 2004 June to 2006 December – Research Engineer, Innovamedica (Vitalmex) Mexico City, Mexico.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Fluid pumping device and components with static seal.
United States Patent Application 20090264697
Filed October 22, 2009. Granted 2013
Inventors: F. Tovar.
Platelet aggregation using a microfluidics device.
Europe Patent Application WO2010102335,
Filed September 2010
Inventors: J. Carberi, S. Jackson, W.S. Nesbitt, A. Mitchell, F. Tovar.
- 2007 PhD Scholarship. Conacyt. PhD scholarship.
- 2011 MicroTAS Travel Award
- 2012 Vicechancellour Research Fellow
- 2012 DECRA- ARC Fellow
- 2014 National Research System Mexico Level -1 (SNI-I)
- Ruvalcaba Cardenas, A.,Ramirez Gomez, R.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Tovar Lopez, F. (2020). Magnetic actuation and deformation of a soft shuttle In: Biomicrofluidics, 14, 1 - 10
- Tovar Lopez, F.,Thurgood, P.,Gilliam, C.,Nguyen, N.,Pirogova, E.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Baratchi, S. (2019). A microfluidic system for studying the effects of disturbed flow on endothelial cells In: Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 7, 1 - 7
- Ruvalcaba Cardenas, A.,Thurgood, P.,Chen, S.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Tovar Lopez, F. (2019). Droplet on Soft Shuttle: Electrowetting-on-Dielectric Actuation of Small Droplets In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 11, 39283 - 39291
- Akbaridoust, F.,De Silva, C.,Brazilek, R.,Chen, X.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Poon, E.,Ooi, A.,Mitchell, A.,Nandurkar, H.,Nesbitt, W.,Marusic, I. (2018). Examining flow dynamics of platelet function in micro-contractions using micro-PIV In: Proceedings of the 21st Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC 2018), Adelaide, Australia, 10-13 December 2018
- Awang, R.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Baum, T.,Sriram, S.,Rowe, W. (2017). Meta-atom microfluidic sensor for measurement of dielectric properties of liquids In: Journal of Applied Physics, 121, 1 - 8
- Molloy, C.,Yao, Y.,Kammoun, H.,Bonnard, T.,Hoefer, T.,Alt, K.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Rosengarten, G.,Ramsland, P.,Van Der Meer, A.,Van Den Berg, A.,Murphy, A.,Hagemeyer, C.,Peter, K.,Westein, E. (2017). Shear-sensitive nanocapsule drug release for site-specific inhibition of occlusive thrombus formation In: Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 15, 972 - 982
- Brazilek, R.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Wong, A.,Tran, H.,Davis, A.,McFadyen, J.,Kaplan, Z.,Chunilal, S.,Jackson, S.,Nandurkar, H.,Mitchell, A.,Nesbitt, W. (2017). Application of a strain rate gradient microfluidic device to von Willebrand's disease screening In: Lab on a Chip, 17, 2595 - 2608
- Knoerzer, M.,Szydzik, C.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Tang, X.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2016). Dynamic drag force based on iterative density mapping: A new numerical tool for three-dimensional analysis of particle trajectories in a dielectrophoretic system In: Electrophoresis, 37, 645 - 657
- Gol, B.,Kurdzinski, M.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Petersen, P.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2016). Hydrodynamic directional control of liquid metal droplets within a microfluidic flow focusing system In: Applied Physics Letters, 108, 1 - 5
- Hsiao, S.,Spencer, T.,Boldlock, L.,Dannewitz Prosseda, S.,Xanthis, I.,Tovar Lopez, F. (2016). Endothelial repair in stented arteries is accelerated by inhibition of Rho-associated protein kinase In: Cardiovascular Research, 112, 1 - 13
1 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions
- Fluorescence and Internal reflection system to develop lab-on-chip devices - Administered by Monash University. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Lab-on-a-chip Platforms for Hemodynamics Research: New Approaches for the study of Blood Diseases. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher from (2012 to 2015)