Dr. Johanne Trippas
Dr Johanne Trippas is a Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellow. She works at the intersection of conversational systems, interactive information retrieval, human-computer interaction, and dialogue analysis.
Dr Johanne Trippas is a Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellow at the School of Computing Technologies, STEM College. Recently, her work has focused on developing next-generation capabilities for intelligent systems, including spoken conversational search, digital assistants in cockpits, and artificial intelligence to identify cardiac arrests.
She completed her PhD in Computer Science investigating Conversational Systems at RMIT University in 2019 under the supervision of Professor Lawrence Cavedon, Professor Mark Sanderson, and Doctor Damiano Spina. She was awarded the RMIT University Deputy Vice-Chancellor’s Higher Degree by Research Prize for her doctoral work and thesis. Previously, she was a Doreen Thomas Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne.
She has been an ACM SIGIR Student Liaison, and has co-organized tutorials and workshops at ACM SIGIR and ACM CHIIR. Johanne is also appointed as ACM SIGIR Artifact Evaluation Committee vice-chair and ACM CHIIR Steering Committee member. She is currently serving as ACM SIGIR 2022 Workshops Chair and ACM CUI 2022 Full Papers Chair.
- Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow at RMIT University, School of Computing Technologies.
- Member of the RMIT Research Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).
- SIGIR Artifact Evaluation Committee vice-chair.
- ACM CHIIR Steering Committee member.
- Program Committee member for several conferences including ACM SIGIR, ACM CIKM, ACM CHIIR, and CUI.
- Khaokaew, Y.,Holcombe-James, I.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Ren, Y.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Salim, F. D., et al, . (2022). Imagining future digital assistants at work: A study of task management needs In: International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 168, 1 - 17
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Sanderson, M.,Cavedon, L. (2021). Accessing Media Via an Audio-only Communication Channel: A Log Analysis In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Conversational User Interfaces (CUI 2021), Bilbao, Spain, 27-29 July 2021
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Thomas, P.,Sanderson, M.,Joho, H.,Cavedon, L. (2020). Towards a model for spoken conversational search In: Information Processing & Management, 57, 1 - 19
- Liono, J.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Trippas, J.,Sanderson, M.,Bennett, P.,White, R. (2020). Intelligent Task Recognition: Towards Enabling Productivity Assistance in Daily Life In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR 2020), Dublin, Ireland, 8-11 June 2020
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Hassan, A.,Bailey, P.,Bennett, P.,White, R.,Liono, J.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Learning About Work Tasks to Inform Intelligent Assistant Design In: CHIIR '19 Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, Glasgow, Scotland UK, March 10 - 14, 2019
- Qu, C.,Yang, L.,Croft, W.,Zhang, Y.,Trippas, J.,Qiu, M. (2019). User Intent Prediction in Information-seeking Conversations In: Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, Glasgow, Scotland UK, 10-14 March 2019
- Liono, J.,Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,White, R. (2019). Building a Benchmark for Task Progress in Digital Assistants In: Proceedings of Task Intelligence Workshop at WSDM 2019, Melbourne, Australia, February 11th--15th, 2019
- Trippas, J.,Thomas, P. (2019). Data sets for spoken conversational search In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Barriers to Interactive IR Resources Re-use at the ACM SIGIR Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (BIIRRR 2019), Glasgow, United Kingdom, 14 March 2019
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Cavedon, L.,Sanderson, M. (2017). How do people interact in conversational speech-only search tasks: A preliminary analysis In: Proceedings of the Second ACM SIGIR Conference on Information Interaction and Retrieval (CHIIR 2017), Oslo, Norway, 7-11 March 2017
- Shiga, S.,Joho, H.,Blanco Gonzalez, R.,Trippas, J.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Modelling information needs in collaborative search conversations In: Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2017), Tokyo, Japan, 7-11 August 2017
1 PhD Current Supervisions