Functional Materials and Human-Centered Engineering: Performance, Protection, Health
Olga's research informs her teaching, is applied and interdisciplinary, focused on the nexus of functional materials, intelligent garments and human-centred engineering. This field of research uniquely combines functional materials science and technology, materials engineering, human physiology and ergonomics. Her research focuses on protective materials and material systems that maximise human health and safety in extreme conditions, aiding the productivity of workers such as firefighters, soldiers, miners, emergency response workers and others. Important focus is also on wellbeing of vulnerable populations such as infants and elderly.
Much of Olga's research is undertaken in cross-disciplinary collaboration with RMIT colleagues and research platforms, as well as with national and international institutions such as RWTH Aachen University, Germany; Technical University of Munich; the University of Sheffield; The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, as well as other leading institutions.
Olga collaborates with public and industry partners in Australia and internationally on technology-based ventures, resulting in rapid application and commercialisation of research outcomes. She is skilled at solving complex problems in diverse industrial landscapes, especially in technology-rich industries linked to materials and health. Her expertise and extensive academic, government and industry networks help her to anticipate future directions in disruptive technologies and establish best practice in their adoption and commercialisation.
Research, teaching, industry consulting.
Additionally, Olga successfully supervises PhD and Masters by Research candidates aligned to her research field of expertise.
- BA Eng-Tech
- MA Eng-Tech
- PhD Eng-Tech
- Wardiningsih, W.,Troynikov, O. (2021). Performance attributes relevant to thermal wear comfort of hip protective garment: influence of comprising pad materials, pad thickness, pad area, and pocket fabric structure In: International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 33, 163 - 174
- Wardiningsih, W.,Troynikov, O. (2021). Effects of hip protective clothing on thermal wear comfort of clothing ensembles In: Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 25, 226 - 239
- Watson, C.,Troynikov, O.,Kuklane, K.,Nawaz, N. (2021). Industrial workwear for hot workplace environments: thermal management attributes In: International Journal of Biometeorology, 65, 1751 - 1765
- Zolkifflee, N.,Nasir, S.,Idris, M.,Troynikov, O. (2020). Mapping of Elastic Behaviour and Tensile Properties of Pressure Therapy Gloves In: International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering Research, 8, 272 - 276
- Bardalai, R.,Laycock, R.,Troynikov, O. (2020). Material-touch-emotion lexicon enabling design for wellbeing In: Proceedings of the AMPS Experiential Design – Rethinking relations between people, objects and environments Conference (AMPS 2020), Florida, United States, 16-17 January 2020
- Wardiningsih, W.,Troynikov, O. (2019). Energy absorption and thermal comfort of segmented pad for hip protective garment In: International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 51, 564 - 577
- Nasir, S.,Troynikov, O. (2019). Therapeutic gloves for arthritis: development of a design framework In: International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 12, 346 - 355
- Quintero Rodriguez, C.,Troynikov, O. (2019). The Effect of Maternity Support Garments on Alleviation of Pains and Discomforts during Pregnancy: A Systematic Review In: Journal of Pregnancy, 2019, 1 - 21
- Nasir, S.,Troynikov, O.,Wong Lit Wan, D.,Zheng, Z. (2019). Assessing the Pressure and Thermal Discomfort Thresholds for Designing of Therapeutic Gloves: A Pilot Study In: OBM Integrative and Complementary Medicine, 4, 1 - 21
- Logothetis, I.,Fernandez-Garcia, R.,Troynikov, O.,Dabnichki, P.,Pirogova, E.,Gil, I. (2019). Embroidered electrodes for bioelectrical impedance analysis: impact of surface area and stitch parameters In: Measurement Science and Technology, 30, 1 - 12
1 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 7 Masters by Research Completions
- Quality of Sleep in Children Sleeping in Natural and Synthetic Fibre Bedding Systems . Funded by: Innovation Connections grant - Cat 1 from (2022 to 2023)
- Manikin Flash Fire Evaluation System for material thermal protection. Funded by: ARC Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2019 from (2019 to 2020)
- CRDC - Improved Thermal Management Performance of Bedding Systems for effective Recovery in Dynamic Sleep Environments through Cotton-contain Products. Funded by: Cotton Research & Development Corp Research Project from (2017 to 2018)
- Breathable cotton for compression athletic wear (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: Cotton Research & Development Corp Research Project from (2017 to 2017)
- Wet cleaning specification, environmentally sustainable wool apparel care (Environmentally sustainable wool apparel). Funded by: Australian Wool Innovation Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)