Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Numerical Heat Transfer (NHT).
- Computational and Experimental Modelling of Multiphase Flows.
- Fluid-Structure Interaction; Spray Cooling; Subcooled Flow Boiling.
- Biomedical Engineering: Optimal Design of Drug Delivery Devices; Prediction of Aerosol Deposition in Human Airways and Nasal Cavity; Simulation of Blood Flow in Arteries.
- Consulting experience in industrial flow simulations in complex geometries/systems, e.g. tube bank heat exchangers, power boilers, mechanical pumps, internal combustion engines and nuclear reactors.
Recent research grants
- 2013/2015: Fundamental Investigation of Heat and Mass Transfer in Nanofluids: a Mechanistic Approach. Australian Research Council (ARC)-Discovery.
- 2012/2014: An Integrated Model for Assessing Health Effects of Nanoparticle Inhalation. ARC-Discovery.
- 2011/2013: Developing an Integrated Predictive Model for Optimal Design of Ventilation System in Buildings. ARC-Linkage.
- 2009/2012: Dual Geothermal System for Fresh Water Production and Power Generation ARC-Linkage.
- 2009/2011: Developing a Hemodynamic Model for Improving Clinical Treatment of Vascular Diseases. ARC-Discovery.
- 2009/2011: Characterisation of Wood Dust Exposures and Its Effect on Respiratory Health. ARC-Linkage.
- 2008/2010: Multi-Group Stochastic Modelling of Population Balance for Gas-Liquid Flows. ARC-Discovery.
- 2008/2010: Development of an Integrated Platform for Performance-Based Safety Assessment ARC-Linkage.
- 2007/2009: Experimental and Numerical Modelling of Gas-Liquid Flows. ARC-International Linkage Award.
- 2007/2009: Autonomic and Utility-Oriented Global Grids for Powering Emerging e-Research Applications. DEST-International Science Linkage.
- 2006/2008: Drug particle characterisation. ARC-Linkage.
- 2007: Distributed Medical Image Analysis and Visualisation Engine (MedVis). ARC-LIEF.
- 2005/2007: The development of mechanistic models for bubbly flows with heat and mass transfer. ARC-Discovery.
- 2005/2006: Developing an e-platform for application of clinical management in the human respiratory and vascular system. ARC e-Research.
- 2004/2006: Optimised nasal drug delivery systems – computer aided design. ARC-Linkage.
- 2004/2006: Smart fire risk advisory system using fire modelling and knowledge-based system technologies. ARC-Linkage.
- 2003/2005: Optimisation of compact boiling heat exchangers using artificial neural networks. ARC-Linkage.
List of books
- J.Y. Tu, K. Inthavong and K. K. L. Wong, Computational Hemodynamics – Theory, Modelling and Applications, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, ISBN: 978-94-017-9593-7, Pages: 335, webpage (2015)
- G.H. Yeoh, S.C.P. Cheung and J.Y. Tu, Multiphase Flow Analysis using Population Balance Modeling – CFD, Bubbles, Drops and Particles, Butterworth-Heinemann, Elsevier Science and Technology, ISBN: 978-0-08-098229-8, Pages: 365, webpage (2014)
- J.Y. Tu, G.H Yeoh, and C. Q. Liu, Computational Fluid Dynamics - A Practical Approach, 2nd Edition, Elsevier Science Limited, UK, ISBN: 978-0-08-098243-4, Pages: 456, webpage (2013)
- K.K.L. Wong, J.Y. Tu, Z. Sun and D.W. Dissanayake, Methods in Research and Development of Biomedical Devices, World Scientific, Singapore, ISBN: 978-981-4434-99-7, Pages: 250, webpage (2013)
- J.Y. Tu, K. Inthavong and G. Ahmadi, Computational Fluid and Particle Dynamics in the Human Respiratory System, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, ISBN: 978-94-007-4487-5, Pages: 374, webpage (2012)
- G.H. Yeoh, and J.Y. Tu, Computational Techniques for Multiphase Flows – Basics and Applications, Elsevier Science Limited, UK, ISBN: 978-0-0804-6733-7, Pages: 643, webpage (2010)
- G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu, Computational Modelling of Subcooled Boiling Flows, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA, ISBN 978-1-60456-943-8, Pages: 86, webpage (2009)
- J.Y. Tu, G. H. Yeoh and C.Q. Liu, Computational Fluid Dynamics – A Practical Approach (Chinese Version), Northeastern University Press, ISBN: 978-7-8110-2752-5 (2009)
- J.Y. Tu, G.H Yeoh, and C. Q. Liu, Computational Fluid Dynamics - A Practical Approach, Elsevier Science Limited, UK, ISBN: 978-0-7506-8563-4, Pages: 459, webpage (2008)
- B.E., in Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, China
- M.E., in Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, China
- PhD in Fluid Mechanics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2009 - date, Deputy Head of School (Research & Innovation), School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2008, Discipline Head, Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2005 - date, Professor, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2002 - 2004, Associate Professor, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 1999 - 2001, Associate Professor (adj.), Centre for Advanced Numerical Computation in Engineering & Science, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 1996 - 2001, Senior Research Scientist, Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation (ANSTO)
- 1993 - 1995, Research Fellow, Centre for Advanced Numerical Computation in Engineering & Science, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 1992 - 1993, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Sydney, Australia
- 1989 - 1992, Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanics, The Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1984 - 1989, Lecturer, Department of Physics, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Affiliations and professional memberships
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Aerosol Science, Elsevier Science and Technology, UK
- Editor of Journal of Computational Multiphase Flows, Multi-Science Publishing (UK)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Engineering, Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- Guest Editor, Journal of Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- Committee Member of International Conference of Computational Fluid Dynamics in Processing
- Committee Member of Biennial Computational Techniques and Applications Conference
- Committee Member of International Tracer Conference
- 2012 RMIT University Research Excellence Award
- 2010 China National 1000 Top-Talent Program Distinguished Professor of Tsinghua University
- 2009 Brennan Medal for the best book, The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), UK
- 2009 RMIT University Excellence Teaching Award
- 2008 Fulbright Senior Scholar, Australian-American Fulbright Commission
- 2007 RMIT-SET Student Choice Teaching Award
- Prestigious Fellowship awards by Australian Academy of Science, Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Travel awards by Australian Academy of Science (AAS), National Science Foundation (NSF) of China, Ministry of Education of China, German Research Foundation, and President of Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Prizes by Swedish Erik Petersohns Foundation, Fudan University, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Service of expert committee members to the United Nations (UN) and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Han, Y.,Wang, X.,Sun, H.,Zhang, G.,Guo, L.,Tu, J. (2019). CFD simulation on the boundary layer separation in the steam ejector and its influence on the pumping performance In: Energy, 167, 469 - 483
- Yan, Y.,Li, X.,Tu, J. (2019). Thermal effect of human body on cough droplets evaporation and dispersion in an enclosed space In: Building and Environment, 148, 96 - 106
- Vahaji, S.,Han, J.,Cheung, S.,Yeoh, G.,Tu, J. (2019). Numerical investigation on the bubble size distribution around NACA0015 hydrofoil In: Ocean Engineering, 172, 59 - 71
- Dong, J.,Shang, Y.,Tian, L.,Inthavong, K.,Qiu, D.,Tu, J. (2019). Ultrafine particle deposition in a realistic human airway at multiple inhalation scenarios In: International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 35, 1 - 15
- Gui, N.,Ge, L.,Cheng, P.,Yang, X.,Tu, J.,Jiang, S. (2019). Comparative Assessment and Analysis of Rortex Vortex in Swirling Jets In: Journal of Hydrodynamics, 31, 495 - 503
- Xu, X.,Shang, Y.,Tian, L.,Weng, W.,Tu, J. (2019). Inhalation health risk assessment for the human tracheobronchial tree under PM exposure in a bus stop scene In: Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 19, 1365 - 1376
- Tian, L.,Shang, Y.,Chen, R.,Bai, R.,Chen, C.,Inthavong, K.,Tu, J. (2019). Correlation of Regional Deposition Dosage for Inhaled Nanoparticles in Human and Rat Olfactory In: Particle and Fibre Toxicology, 16, 1 - 17
- Wang, X.,Dong, J.,Zhang, G.,Fu, Q.,Li, H.,Han, Y.,Tu, J. (2019). The Primary Pseudo-Shock Pattern Of Steam Ejector And Its Influence On Pumping Efficiency Based On Cfd Approach In: Energy, 167, 224 - 234
- Dong, J.,Ma, J.,Tian, L.,Inthavong, K.,Tu, J. (2019). Inhalation exposure analysis of lung-inhalable particles in an approximate rat central airway In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 1 - 1
- Wu, M.,Gui, N.,Wu, H.,Yang, X.,Tu, J.,Jiang, S. (2019). Effects of density difference and loading ratio on pebble flow in a three-dimensional two-region-designed pebble bed In: Annals of Nuclear Energy, 133, 924 - 936
- A Multiscale Modelling Platform for Nanoparticle Inhalation Risk Assessment. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2016 from (2016 to 2020)
- Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering (ACCME) - Administered by the University of Melbourne. Funded by: Australia-China Science and Research Fund Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2020)
- Developing an Integrated Optimization Platform for Innovative Design of Composite Fabrication Process. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2014 to 2019)
- Developing a virtual platform for HVAC diffuser performance assessment. Funded by: Enterprise Connnect - Researchers in Business 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Fundamental investigation of heat and mass transfer in nanofluids: a mechanistic approach. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2013 from (2013 to 2017)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
24 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD), multiphase flow and turbulence modelling, advanced numerical simulation, bio-fluid mechanics and engineering.