Marnie is Senior Research Fellow at the School of Art and acting leader for CAST (contemporary art and social transformation) research group at RMIT University in Naarm (Melbourne), Australia.www.marniebadham.com.
With a twenty-five-year history of art and social justice in Australia and Canada, Marnie's research sits at the intersection of socially-engaged art practices, participatory methodologies and the politics of cultural measurement.
Through aesthetic forms of encounter and exchange, her work brings together disparate groups of people in dialogue to examine and affect local issues.
Her current focus includes a series of creative cartographies registering emotions in public space; expanded curation projects on the aesthetics and politics of food; and a book project The Social Life of Artist Residencies: connecting with people and place not your own.
- Badham, M.,Maravillas, F. (2023). The Gentle Activism of ‘Bruised Food’: Art and Curation in Times of Crises In: Dystopian and Utopian Impulses in Art Making, Intellect, United Kingdom
- Hulbert, T.,Johnson, P.,Badham, M. (2023). Invisible Winds In: Invisible Winds Richmond, Victoria, Australia
- Wise, K.,MacDonald, A.,Badham, M.,Brown, N.,Rankin, S. (2022). Interdisciplinarity for social justice enterprise: intersecting education, industry and community arts perspectives In: Australian Educational Researcher, 49, 1 - 21
- Douglass, A.,Badham, M. (2022). Aesthetic Systems of Participatory Painting: Playing with Paint, Dialogic Art, and the Innovative Collective In: Public Art Dialogue, 12, 52 - 73
- Hulbert, T.,Badham, M. (2022). To the fallen trees... In: The Big Anxiety Festival, Yarra Ranges Melbourne, Australia
- MacNeill, K.,Lye, J.,McQuilten, G.,Badham, M.,Powell, C. (2022). The Incomes of Visual Artists: Which Artists, What Income? In: The Australian Economic Review, 55, 558 - 567
- Liu, B.,Badham, M.,Redfern, D. (2022). Huaniao Island Public Art Festival: A Site for Social Encounter and Cultural Exchange In: Public Art Dialogue, 12, 200 - 221
- Murray, P.,Rief, A.,Badham, M.,Meecham, T.,Reid, R.,Bourke, L. (2022). Birds of a Feather: On Queerness, Performance, The Coming Back Out Ball and The LGBTIQ+ Elders Dance Club In: Australasian Drama Studies Journal, , 237 - 271
- Badham, M.,Wise, K.,MacDonald, A. (2021). Mona’s 24 Carrot Gardens: Seeding an Ecology of Cultural Value in Tasmania In: Exploring Cultural Value: Contemporary Issues for Theory and Practice, Emerald Publishing Limited, Bingley, England
- Lanson, K.,Badham, M.,Hulbert, T. (2020). #unmaskedselfiesinsolidarity From Digital Artivism to the Collective Care of Social Art in Public Space In: Journal of Public Space, 5, 87 - 106
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Nonfiction Visual Storytelling Network. Funded by: New Colombo Plan Mobility Program from (2023 to 2023)
- Ambitious and Fair: Strategies for a sustainable visual arts sector. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2020 from (2021 to 2024)
- Bring two keynote speakers to the Art Association of Australia and New Zealand (AAANZ) Annual Conference, `Aesthetics, Politics, History: The Social Context of Art`, Melbourne, 5-8 December 2018. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Conference Grants 2018 onwards from (2018 to 2018)