Dr Monica Barratt is a Senior Research Fellow in the Social and Global Studies Centre at RMIT University.
Monica is a Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellow in the Social and Global Studies Centre at RMIT University. She is currently undertaking a four-year program of research investigating psychoactive drug use in digital society. Her work crosses a variety of disciplines, including sociology and criminology alongside epidemiology and public health.
Prior to joining RMIT University, Monica was a Senior Research Fellow at the Drug Policy Modelling Program, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW Sydney, where she retains a visiting academic position. She was the recent recipient of a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Early Career Research Fellowship.
Monica has published 70 academic research papers and attached over $4M competitive funding in her 17 year career. She currently leads an NHMRC project grant about the public health impacts of drug cryptomarkets. She is the Australian lead for the Global Drug Survey and serves as an Editor for leading journals in the drugs field: International Journal of Drug Policy and Drug and Alcohol Review.
Monica's work in the drug policy space has excellent impact as demonstrated by her exceptional field-weighted citation index (showing her publications are cited on average over 4 times more than similar publications) and her regular public engagements. Monica also leads research engagement at the international harm-reduction community, Bluelight.org, and volunteers for The Loop Australia, a not-for-profit organisation aiming to provide drug checking or testing at festivals and in communities across Australia.
- BSc (Psych) (Hons) - School of Psychology, Curtin University
- PhD - National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University
- Childs, A.,Coomber, R.,Bull, M.,Barratt, M. (2020). Evolving and Diversifying Selling Practices on Drug Cryptomarkets: An Exploration of Off-Platform �Direct Dealing� In: Journal of Drug Issues, 50, 173 - 190
- Palamar, J.,Acosta, P.,Sutherland, R.,Shedlin, M.,Barratt, M. (2019). Adulterants and altruism: A qualitative investigation of �drug checkers� in North America In: International Journal of Drug Policy, 74, 160 - 169
- Kumar, N.,Puljevic, C.,Ferris, J.,Winstock, A.,Barratt, M. (2019). Cannabis use patterns at the dawn of US cannabis reform In: Journal of Cannabis Research, 1, 1 - 5
- Moyle, L.,Childs, A.,Coomber, R.,Barratt, M. (2019). #Drugsforsale: An exploration of the use of social media and encrypted messaging apps to supply and access drugs In: International Journal of Drug Policy, 63, 101 - 110
- Fernandes-Calderon, F.,Diaz-Batanero, C.,Barratt, M.,Palamar, J. (2019). Harm reduction strategies related to dosing and their relation to harms among festival attendees who use multiple drugs In: Drug and Alcohol Review, 38, 57 - 67
- Banister, S.,Adams, A.,Kevin, R.,Macdonald, C.,Glass, M.,Boyd, R.,Connor, M.,McGregor, I.,Havel, C.,Bright, S.,Vilamala, M.,Lladanosa, C.,Barratt, M.,Gerona, R. (2019). Synthesis and pharmacology of new psychoactive substance 5F-CUMYL-P7AICA, a scaffold- hopping analog of synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists 5F-CUMYL-PICA and 5F-CUMYL-PINACA In: Drug Testing and Analysis, 11, 279 - 291
- Decorte, T.,Malm, A.,Sznitman, S.,Hakkarainen, P.,Barratt, M.,Potter, G.,Werse, B.,Kamphausen, G.,Lenton, S.,Frank, V. (2019). The challenges and benefits of analyzing feedback comments in surveys: Lessons from a cross-national online survey of small-scale cannabis growers In: Methodological Innovations, 12, 1 - 16
- Sznitman, S.,Barratt, M.,Decorte, T.,Hakkarainen, P.,Lenton, S.,Potter, G.,Werse, B.,Wilkins, C. (2019). Do medical cannabis growers attempt to produce cannabis with different cannabinoid concentrations than recreational growers? In: Drugs and Alcohol Today, 19, 251 - 256
- Kowalski, M.,Hooker, C.,Barratt, M. (2019). Should we smoke it for you as well? An ethnographic analysis of a drug cryptomarket environment In: International Journal of Drug Policy, 73, 245 - 254
- Hakkarainen, P.,Decorte, T.,Sznitman, S.,Karjalainen, K.,Barratt, M.,Frank, V.,Lenton, S.,Potter, G.,Werse, B.,Wilkins, C. (2019). Examining the blurred boundaries between medical and recreational cannabis�results from an international study of small-scale cannabis cultivators In: Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy, 26, 250 - 258
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Rapid translation of forensic data from police drug seizures into clinical alerts to improve public health. Funded by: National Centre for Clinical Research on Emerging Drugs from (2020 to 2021)