Alexis Bergantz is Lecturer in French Studies at RMIT University in the School of Global, Urban and Social Sciences.
He is the Early Career Program Leader of the Language, Culture and Discourse program of the Social and Global Studies Centre at RMIT and a member of the Migration, Mobility and Social Diversity program. He also sits on the Committee of the Institute for the Study of French Australian Relations and its journal, the French Australian Review.
Prior to joining RMIT, Alexis taught courses in Global History, French Language & Culture and Historiography at the University of Technology Sydney and the Australian National University. He received his PhD in 2016 from the School of History at the ANU for which he was awarded the John Molony Prize in History, the J G Crawford prize for academic excellence, and was shortlisted for the Serle Award by the Australian Historical Association.
Most recent publications
- Alexis Bergantz (2018) 'The Scum of France': Australian Anxieties towards French Convicts in the Nineteenth Century, Australian Historical Studies, 49:2, 150-166
- Alexis Bergantz (2018) "Multiculturalisme" In 101 Mots Pour Comprendre l'Australie, edited by Peter Brown and Jean-Yves Faberon, 142–43. Centre de documentation pédagogique de Nouvelle-Calédonie, 2018.
- Alexis Bergantz (2018) "Drapeaux" In 101 Mots Pour Comprendre l'Australie, edited by Peter Brown and Jean-Yves Faberon, 84–85. Centre de documentation pédagogique de Nouvelle-Calédonie, 2018.
- Lecturer in French Studies
- Course Coordinator
- Early Career Program Leader (Language, Culture and Discourse Program)
- Member of the Migration, Mobility and Social Diversity Program
- Committee Member of the Institute for the Study of French Australian Relations (ISFAR)
- PhD (History), The Australian National University
- MA (History), The University of Sydney
- MA (International Studies), The University of Sydney
- BA (English and French studies), Université Marc Bloch (Strasbourg II)
- Australian Historical Association (AHA)
- Institute for the Study of French-Australian Relations (ISFAR)
- European Asia-Pacific Network (Eurasiane)
- Australian Society for French Studies (ASFS)
- Languages and Cultures Network for Australian Universities
- Bergantz, A. (2017). Mapping the consul's treasure: a discussion and a guide to French consular archives In: The French Australian Review, 61, 40 - 45
- Bergantz, A. (2017). National history and migrant history after the transnational turn: the French in Australia and the articulation of Frenchness In: E-rea, 14, 1 - 11
- Bergantz, A. (2017). The culture and politics of Frenchness in Australia (1890-1914): reflections on a research project In: The French Australian Review, 62, 19 - 33
- Bergantz, A. (2015). A view of the country: a Franco-Australian family's representations of the French countryside (1878-1903) and the question of cultural belonging In: New Zealand Journal of French Studies, 36, 51 - 69
- Bergantz, A. (2014). "I am an Australian, we are freer than anyone in France": Two Australian Girls and their Diaries in France in the late Nineteenth Century In: French History and Civilization: Papers from the George Rude Seminar, 5, 143 - 152