Associate Professor Richard Black
Richard Black is Senior Lecturer in Architecture.
The relationship of architecture to large scale landscape systems
The interface between land and water
Designing for uncertainty, ephemeral architecture
Site knowledge and its impact upon the design process
Site and siting as strategic phases of the design process.
Awards and achievements
2002 Special Commendation: awarded for new residential building design. Awarded by the Town of Vincent, Western Australia for the Mt Hawthorn House.
1997 CHASA refereed design award – “Marking the Earth” Lower Pool design Studio RMIT .
1996 AA prize for unbuilt work – winning entry. Architectural concepts category – project: Pied-á-terre.
1996 AA prize for unbuilt work - jury mention. Building design category – project: Yokohama Port Terminal.
2011 Tidal Garden and Murray River research, solo exhibition, curator Bill Fox, Centre for Art and the Environment, Nevada Museum of Art, USA.
2011 Tidal Garden and Murray River research to be exhibited in “Water: Curse or Blessing!?”, curator: Ulla Giesler, Aedes Gallery East, Berlin, Germany.
2011 Various projects in X_Field Beijing: Jumping City, curator: Che Fei, CU Space, Beijing, China.
2011 Various projects in group X_Field Seoul, “Neighboring Effect”, Gallery Factory, Seoul, Korea.
2010 Various projects exhibited in the X_Field exhibition, fortyfive downstairs, Melbourne, Victoria.
2009 Tidal Garden exhibited at Guildford Lane Gallery, Melbourne. 2008 Vaughan House + Studio exhibited in the Australian Pavilion, at the Venice Architecture
Biennale. 2005 Tidal Garden exhibited in the Mare Nostrum exhibit, 2nd International Architecture
Biennale, Netherlands Architecture Institute, Rotterdam, Netherlands. 2004 “Outback” tent installation, Guildford Plateau, Victoria. Installation by Seifert + Stoeckmann, Frankfurt, with Richard Black RMIT Senior Lecturer and RMIT
Architecture Upper pool Design students. 2002 “Watertheatre” in the Unused, Visual Arts Program, Melbourne Festival.
2011 Presenter at the Art + Environment conference, Centre for Art + Environment, Nevada Museum of Art, Reno, Nevada.
2011 “Exposed Ground” key note lecture, RMIT Graduate Research Conference, Sint-Lucas, Ghent, Belgium.
2011 “Exposed Ground” key note lecture, bau(sch) & bogen lecture series, Department Architektur, Universität Siegen, Germany.
2010 “Chasing the Murray” lecture presentation at the Affirmative Architecture Conference, RMIT University.
2009 “Transitory Architecture”, annual WH Robertson Memorial Lecture, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA.
2005 2nd International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam, presentation of Australian exhibit at City Hall, Rotterdam; panel member at the Mare Nostrum Conference, on “Economy and Environment”, Netherlands Architecture Institute, chaired by Prof. Bart Lootsma and Christine de Baan.
- Johnson, A.,Black, R. (2018). Urban Sanctuary: The New Domestic Outdoors, Thames and Hudson Australia Pty Ltd, Port Melbourne, Australia
- Johnson, A.,Black, R. (2017). Guest Editorship, Anna Johnson and Richard Black, The Veil of Isis, AV Summer 2017, Architect Victoria In: AV, 2017 Summer, Architect Victoria, official journal of the Australian Institute of Architects Victorian Chapter. Melbourne, Australia
- Johnson, A.,Black, R. (2016). Living in the Landscape, extraordinary rural homes in Australia and New Zealand, Thames and Hudson, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Black, R. (2015). Open Monument: acknowledging the Chinese contribution to Ballarat. In: Sculpture Commission Ballarat, Australia
- Black, R.,Black, M. (2013). Carved Ground: residence and studio In: X_Field Archive Exhibition: Melbourne 2013 Melbourne, Australia
- Black, R. (2013). Section (Charles Street House) + Model (Tarilta Road, house + studio). In: X-Field Archive Exhibition, Melbourne Melbourne, Australia
- Black, R.,Helsel, S. (2013). X_Field Archive Exhibition In: X_Field Archive Exhibition Melbourne, Australia
- Black, R.,Black, M. (2012). Ceramic Studio In: Momentum New Victorian Architecture Melbourne, Australia
- Black, R. (2011). Murray River Maps, Tidal Garden, McMillan Road Studio, Water Theatre - Curated by Jaewon Cho & Sand Helsel In: Neighbouring Effect Seoul, Korea
- Black, R. (2011). Richard Black: Australia's Murray River In: Richard Black: Australia's Murray River Nevada, United States
10 PhD Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- X_Field Exhibition. Funded by: Australia-Korea Foundation Grant from (2010 to 2011)