Dr Brown believes that engineering has an important role to play in addressing complex global issues such as poverty, inequality and sustainability.He is passionate about inspiring, equipping and empowering engineers to meet community aspirations and desires both in Australia and overseas. His research work focuses on the application of design, technology and education for social change.
- PhD - Silos and Granular Solids Research Group - The University of Edinburgh
- MEng - civil and Environmental Engineering - The University of Edinburgh
Before joining RMIT, Dr Brown was the Research Lead at the not-for-profit organisation Engineers Without Borders Australia (EWB). In this role he led the development and delivery of a suite of innovative humanitarian engineering education and research initiatives that generated new knowledge and technologies for sustainable development.
- Rhodes-Dicker, L.,Brown, N.,Currell, M. (2022). Unpacking intersecting complexities for WASH in challenging contexts: A review In: Water Research, 209, 1 - 11
- Byrne, H.,Cassar, S.,Humphrey, J.,Lowe, N.,Currell, M.,Brown, N. (2021). Enhancing access to safe drinking water in remote Fijian communities: Modelling and implementing a pilot rain-tank disinfection program In: Environmental Engineering Science, 38, 430 - 442
- McLaughlin, P.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Shimeta, J.,Ryan, R.,Currell, M.,Allinson, G.,Brown, N.,Maqsood, T. (2020). From Small Things: Building Cross-Disciplinary, Transformative Learning Experiences Through a Global Mobility Experience for Higher Education Students In: Tertiary Education in a Time of Change, Springer , Singapore
- Valle, C.,Brown, N. (2020). Brand engineering: are our words undermining our intent to increase gender diversity in engineering In: 31st Annual conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020
- Brown, N.,Pearson, A.,Rosenqvist, T. (2020). Understanding what integrated inclusion looks like in a mega first year team-based engineering course In: 31st Annual conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020
- Belski, I.,Brown, N. (2020). Influence of TRIZ Heuristic of the Ideal Ultimate Result on Problem- Solving, Divergent and Convergent Thinking Skills of Engineering Students In: 31st Annual conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020
- Keith, A.,Brown, N.,Zhou, J. (2019). The feasibility of a collapsible parabolic solar cooker incorporating phase change materials In: Renewable Energy Focus, 30, 58 - 70
- McEvoy, D.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Ho, S.,Mitchell, D.,Jegatheesan, V.,Brown, N. (2019). Integrating teaching and learning with inter-disciplinary action research in support of climate resilient urban development In: Sustainability, 11, 1 - 15
- Gan, W.,Fiford, R.,Brown, N.,Perkins, S.,Wong, C. (2018). A Human Centred Design 'Makerthon': The creation of a framework for teaching Humanitarian Engineering competencies In: Proceedings of 29th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2018), Hamilton, New Zealand, 9-12 December 2018
- Smith, J.,Belski, I.,Brown, N.,Kalyvas, J. (2018). Can One Class Hour Improve Creative Problem Solving Self-efficacy In: Proceedings of 29th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2018), Hamilton, New Zealand, 9-12 December 2018
4 PhD Current Supervisions
- Integrated inclusion: developing best practice for engineering education and the profession. Funded by: Australasian Association for Engineering Education from (2021 to 2022)