Dr Brown believes that engineering has an important role to play in addressing complex global issues such as poverty, inequality and sustainability.He is passionate about inspiring, equipping and empowering engineers to meet community aspirations and desires both in Australia and overseas. His research work focuses on the application of design, technology and education for social change.
- PhD - Silos and Granular Solids Research Group - The University of Edinburgh
- MEng - civil and Environmental Engineering - The University of Edinburgh
Before joining RMIT, Dr Brown was the Research Lead at the not-for-profit organisation Engineers Without Borders Australia (EWB). In this role he led the development and delivery of a suite of innovative humanitarian engineering education and research initiatives that generated new knowledge and technologies for sustainable development.
- McLaughlin, P.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Shimeta, J.,Ryan, R.,Currell, M.,Allinson, G.,Brown, N.,Maqsood, T. (2020). From Small Things: Building Cross-Disciplinary, Transformative Learning Experiences Through a Global Mobility Experience for Higher Education Students In: Tertiary Education in a Time of Change, Springer , Singapore
- Keith, A.,Brown, N.,Zhou, J. (2019). The feasibility of a collapsible parabolic solar cooker incorporating phase change materials In: Renewable Energy Focus, 30, 58 - 70
- McEvoy, D.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Ho, S.,Mitchell, D.,Jegatheesan, V.,Brown, N. (2019). Integrating teaching and learning with inter-disciplinary action research in support of climate resilient urban development In: Sustainability, 11, 1 - 15
- Daniel, S.,Brown, N. (2018). The Impact of the EWB Design Summit on the Professional Social Responsibility Attitudes of Participants In: Proceedings of the 125th Annual Conference and Exposition�of the American Society for Engineering Education, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States, 24-27 June 2018
- Brown, N. (2018). A NGO-University partnership for sustainable engineering research solutions In: Development Bulletin, , 9 - 13
- Stoakley, A.,Brown, N. (2018). Engineering Redefined: Exploring the links between humanitarian engineering and gender diversity In: Origin Foundation Melbourne, Australia
- Gan, W.,Fiford, R.,Brown, N.,Perkins, S.,Wong, C. (2018). A Human Centred Design 'Makerthon': The creation of a framework for teaching Humanitarian Engineering competencies In: Proceedings of 29th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2018), Hamilton, New Zealand, 9-12 December 2018
- Smith, J.,Belski, I.,Brown, N.,Kalyvas, J. (2018). Can One Class Hour Improve Creative Problem Solving Self-efficacy In: Proceedings of 29th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2018), Hamilton, New Zealand, 9-12 December 2018
- Smith, J.,Anderson, B.,Brown, N.,Colley, A.,Stoakley, A.,Turner, J. (2017). The Rise of Humanitarian Engineering Education in Australasia In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2017), Manly, Sydney, Australia, 10-13 December 2017
- Stoakley, A.,Brown, N.,Matthee, S. (2017). The role of a humanitarian focus in increasing gender diversity in engineering education In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2017), Manly, Sydney, Australia, 10-13 December 2017
1 PhD Current Supervisions