Areas of research and expertise
- Artificial intelligence
- Conversation modelling
- Human-machine communication systems
- Emotion recognition and real-time tracking systems
- Emotionally capable technologies
- Affective computing
- Pattern recognition
- Biomedical speech and image processing
- Computational psychology
- Speech based diagnostics
- Speech and audio acoustics
Grants and awards
- 2013: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Supervision Excellence Award, RMIT, 2013.
- 2013: IETE Golden Jubilee Research Award for the Best Research Paper.
- 2013: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2011: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2010-2011: Winner of Telstra Innovation Challenge 2010.
- 2007-2010: Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP0776235 grant.
- 2007: RMIT Research Award.
- 2001-2002: Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing (VPAC) Expertise Program Research Grant, (EPPNRM055.2001).
- 1996: Engineering Excellence Award, Highly Commended Award.
Google Scholar citations
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biomedical Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
- Master of Science in Physics, Maria Curie-SkÅ‚odowska University, Poland
- 2005 – Senior Lecturer, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1998 – Lecturer , School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1996 – 1998, Research Fellow, The Bionic Ear Institute, Co-Operative Research Centre for Cochlear Implant, Speech and Hearing Research, Melbourne, Australia
- 1993 – 1996, Research Fellow, Department of Electrical Engineering, Monash University, Australia
- 1982 – 1987, Lecturer, Institute of Physics, The University of Maria Curie Sklodowska, Poland
- Syed, M.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2021). Prediction of public trust in politicians using a multimodal fusion approach In: Electronics (Switzerland), 10, 1 - 13
- Chen, X.,Lech, M.,Wang, L. (2021). A complete key management scheme for lorawan v1.1 In: Sensors, 21, 1 - 20
- Sandoval Rodriguez, C.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2021). Adversarial Learning Approach to Unsupervised Labeling of Fine Art Paintings In: IEEE Access, 9, 81969 - 81985
- Dakic, K.,Al Homssi, B.,Hourani, A.,Lech, M. (2021). LoRa Signal Demodulation Using Deep Learning, a Time-Domain Approach In: Proceedings of the IEEE 93rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Spring), Helsinki, Finland, 25-28 April 2021
- Cheng, Y.,Lech, M.,Wilkinson, R. (2021). Sleep Stage Recognition from EEG Using a Distributed Multi-Channel Decision-Making System In: 2021 15th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Sydney, Australia, 13-15 December 2021
- Sandoval Rodriguez, C.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2020). Classification of Fine-Art Paintings with Simulated Partial Damages In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2020), Adelaide, Australia, 14-16 December 2020
- Syed, M.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2020). Multimodal Prediction of Public Trust in Politicians from Speech and Text In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2020), Adelaide, Australia, 14-16 December 2020
- Hussain, A.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2020). Multi-Label Crowd Size and Location Recognition from Images In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2020), Adelaide, Australia, 14-16 December 2020
- Syed, M.,Syed, Z.,Lech, M.,Pirogova, E. (2020). Automated screening for Alzheimer's dementia through spontaneous speech In: Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association (INTERSPEECH 2020), Shanghai, China, 25 - 29 October 2020
- Sandoval Rodriguez, C.,Panganiban, A.,Stolar, M.,Bolia, R.,Lech, M. (2020). Prediction of Inter-Personal Trust and Team Familiarity From Speech: A Double Transfer Learning Approach In: IEEE Access, 8, 225437 - 225447
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
23 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions
Digital signal processing, speech processing, psychoacoustics, image processing, system modelling and optimisation and 3-D image registration.
- Facial Recognition Bias Profiling: A Multi-Label Approach Research Challenge 1 – Facial Recognition Bias Profiling (Administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: Office of National Intelligence Small Grants Program from (2020 to 2021)
- Multi-modal Bio-metric Information Analysis Using Deep Neural Networks. Funded by: Defence Science Institute (DSI) Grant for Scholarships from (2019 to 2021)
- Fostering positive team behaviors in human-machine teams through emotion processing: Adapting to the operator's state (AOARD). Funded by: Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development Grant from (2017 to 2019)
- Real-time mental state tracker: a mobile phone based approach. Funded by: Defence Science Institute Collaborative Research Scheme 2015, Round 1 from (2015 to 2016)
- Diagnosis of depressive disorder and risk for depression in adolescents using acoustic speech analysis. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2007 Round 2 from (2007 to 2012)