Areas of research and expertise
- Artificial intelligence
- Conversation modelling
- Human-machine communication systems
- Emotion recognition and real-time tracking systems
- Emotionally capable technologies
- Affective computing
- Pattern recognition
- Biomedical speech and image processing
- Computational psychology
- Speech based diagnostics
- Speech and audio acoustics
Grants and awards
- 2013: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Supervision Excellence Award, RMIT, 2013.
- 2013: IETE Golden Jubilee Research Award for the Best Research Paper.
- 2013: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2011: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2010-2011: Winner of Telstra Innovation Challenge 2010.
- 2007-2010: Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP0776235 grant.
- 2007: RMIT Research Award.
- 2001-2002: Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing (VPAC) Expertise Program Research Grant, (EPPNRM055.2001).
- 1996: Engineering Excellence Award, Highly Commended Award.
Google Scholar citations
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biomedical Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
- Master of Science in Physics, Maria Curie-SkÅ‚odowska University, Poland
- 2005 – Senior Lecturer, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1998 – Lecturer , School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1996 – 1998, Research Fellow, The Bionic Ear Institute, Co-Operative Research Centre for Cochlear Implant, Speech and Hearing Research, Melbourne, Australia
- 1993 – 1996, Research Fellow, Department of Electrical Engineering, Monash University, Australia
- 1982 – 1987, Lecturer, Institute of Physics, The University of Maria Curie Sklodowska, Poland
- Vukovic, M.,Sethu, V.,Parker, J.,Cavedon, L.,Lech, M.,Thangarajah, J. (2019). Estimating cognitive load from speech gathered in a complex real-life training exercise In: International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 124, 116 - 133
- Skaria, S.,Hourani, A.,Lech, M.,Evans, R. (2019). Hand-Gesture Recognition Using Two-Antenna Doppler Radar With Deep Convolutional Neural Networks In: IEEE Sensors, 19, 3041 - 3048
- Sandoval Rodriguez, C.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2019). Two-Stage Deep Learning Approach to the Classification of Fine-Art Paintings In: IEEE Access, 7, 41770 - 41781
- Bui, H.,Lech, M.,Cheng, E.,Neville, K.,Wilkinson, R.,Burnett, I. (2018). Randomized dimensionality reduction of deep network features for image object recognition In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Signal Processing, Telecommunications & Computing (SigTelCom 2018), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 29-31 January 2018
- Shitov, D.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M.,Wysocki, T. (2018). Exploration algorithm for learning of sensorimotor tasks using sampling from a weighted Gaussian Mixture In: Proceedings of the 17th Australasian International Speech Science and Technology Conference (SST 2018), Sydney, NSW, Australia, 4 - 7 December 2018
- Stolar, M.,Lech, M.,Bolia, R.,Skinner, M. (2018). Acoustic Characteristics of Emotional Speech Using Spectrogram Image Classification In: 2018 12th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Cairns, Australia, 17-19 December 2018
- House, D.,Lech, M.,Stolar, M. (2018). Using Deep Learning to Identify Potential Roof Spaces for Solar Panels In: 2018 12th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Cairns, Australia, Australia, 17-19 December 2018
- Sandoval Rodriguez, C.,Lech, M.,Pirogova, E. (2018). Classification of Style in Fine-Art Paintings Using Transfer Learning and Weighted Image Patches In: 2018 12th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Cairns, Australia, Australia, 17-19 December 2018
- Shitov, D.,Pirogova, E.,Lech, M. (2018). Assessment of Features for Neurocomputational Modeling of Speech Acquisition In: 2018 12th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Cairns, Australia, Australia, 17-19 December 2018
- He, L.,Wang, X.,Zhang, J.,Liu, Q.,Yin, H.,Lech, M. (2018). Automatic detection of consonant omission in cleft palate speech In: International Journal of Speech Technology, 22, 59 - 65
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
19 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions
Digital signal processing, speech processing, psychoacoustics, image processing, system modelling and optimisation and 3-D image registration.
- Multi-modal Bio-metric Information Analysis Using Deep Neural Networks. Funded by: Defence Science Insitute (DSI) Grant for Scholarships from (2019 to 2021)
- Fostering positive team behaviors in human-machine teams through emotion processing: Adapting to the operator's state (AOARD). Funded by: Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development Grant from (2017 to 2019)
- Real-time mental state tracker: a mobile phone based approach. Funded by: Defence Science Institute Collaborative Research Scheme 2015, Round 1 from (2015 to 2016)
- Diagnosis of depressive disorder and risk for depression in adolescents using acoustic speech analysis. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2007 Round 2 from (2007 to 2012)
- Optimization of Practical Holey Fibres. Funded by: VPAC Expertise Grant pre-2014 from (2001 to 2002)