Multidisciplinary research specializing in auditory treatments for the improvement and mediation of human performance. Specialist in the study of auditory countermeasures for sleep inertia (sleep related morning grogginess).
Stuart's research interest involves examining the effects of auditory stimuli on human performance and cognition. Stuart's current research analyses auditory countermeasures for sleep inertia, commonly known as morning grogginess. Stuart's recent research proposes to move beyond macro level stimuli categorization, towards a detailed understanding of the musical elements essential for the improvement of waking sound design for sleep inertia. Stuart's research is the first to show that 'melodic' sounds used for arousal are more effective in reducing symptoms of sleep inertia when compared to non-melodic compositions.
Stuart is a strong advocate of multidisciplinary research and collaboration, is an award-winning designer, and professional musician with 25+ years' experience.
- Lecturer: Industrial Design, School of Design
- Researcher: Auditory Perception, Cognition, Health & Wellbeing, Design
- Prendergast, K.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Howard, S.,Ren, Z.,McFarlane, S.,Dyer, A. (2021). Bee representations in human art and culture through the ages In: Art and Perception, 10, 1 - 62
- McFarlane, S.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Verhagen, D.,Dyer, A. (2020). Alarm tones, music and their elements: Analysis of reported waking sounds to counteract sleep inertia In: PLoS ONE, 15, 1 - 32
- McFarlane, S.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Verhagen, D.,Dyer, A. (2020). Auditory Countermeasures for Sleep Inertia: Exploring the Effect of Melody and Rhythm in an Ecological Context In: Clocks & Sleep, 2, 208 - 224
- McFarlane, S.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Verhagen, D.,Dyer, A. (2020). Alarm Tones, Voice Warnings, and Musical Treatments: A Systematic Review of Auditory Countermeasures for Sleep Inertia in Abrupt and Casual Awakenings In: Clocks & Sleep, 2, 416 - 433
- Verhagen, D.,Paul, J.,McFarlane, S.,Brodel, T. (2017). Libr_array In: Geelong After Dark Geelong After Dark
- Verhagen, D.,McFarlane, S.,Brodel, T.,Paul, J.,Curtis, J. (2016). blue|red: VIMS\SIMS In: Morbis Artis Melbourne Australia
- Verhagen, D.,McFarlane, S.,Brodel, T.,Paul, J.,Hunt, A.,Frost, A. (2015). Einsturzende Neubauten's Klangbewegung Maschine In: Geniale Dilletanten Melbourne, Australia
- Verhagen, D.,McFarlane, S. (2014). A series of small wire objects (many of them uninteresting): object one In: 1. asosmo(moti): object 1 / 2.Globelight Festival Melbourne, Australia
- Verhagen, D.,McFarlane, S.,Brodel, T.,Paul, J. (2014). A series of small wire objects (many of them uninteresting): Object Two In: Experimenta: Recharge Melbourne, Australia
- McFarlane, S.,Feltham, F.,Verhagen, D. (2013). Exploring internet CO2 emissions as an auditory display In: Proceedings of the 25th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference: Augmentation, Application, Innovation, Collaboration, OzCHI 2013, Adelaide, Australia, 25-29 November 2013
- The Light and Optics Experience. Funded by: Museum Victoria from (2017 to 2017)
- Geelong After Dark 2017 - Artist Role. Funded by: City of Greater Geelong Research Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2017)