Dr Rose Michael is Lecturer in the Master of Writing and Publishing and Bachelor of Creative Writing within RMIT's School of Media and Communication.
Rose is a writer, editor and academic who has been published in Griffith Review, Best Australian Stories, Island, Cultural Studies Review, Review of Australian Fiction, Sydney Review of Books and Meanjin. Her first novel, The Asking Game (Transit Lounge, 2007), was a runner-up for the Vogel award and received an Aurealis honourable mention. An early extract from her second, The Art of Navigation (University of Western Australia, 2017), was shortlisted for a Conjure award.
She has received numerous grants: from the Copyright Agency Limited (2010 and 2017), Australia Council for the Arts (2012), Arts Victoria (2009), and the City of Melbourne (2007); for an Australian Research Council Linkage Project (2007–11); as well as a University of Melbourne Publication Subsidy (2006).
Rose brings extensive professional experience as an editor and publisher to her work in the Bowen Street Press and loves the opportunity RMIT provides for her to lecture across the writing and publishing programs.
- Lecturer, Writing and Publishing
- Lecturer, Creative Writing
- Supervisor, Honours and Higher Research Degree students
- Member, non/fictionLab
- Founding member, novelLab
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), University of Melbourne
- Master of Arts, University of Technology, Sydney
- PhD, University of Western Australia
- Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP)
- Australian Society of Authors (ASA)
- Institute of Professional Editors Limited (IPEd)
- Michael, R.,Donnar, G. (2023). Crosshatch Fantasy: Unsettling Portals, Crisis Heterotopias, and Comings-of-Age In: The Palgrave Handbook of Global Fantasy, Springer, Switzerland
- Ash, R.,Michael, R. (2023). A Third Space: Giving Voice to Works in Progress In: Sydney Review of Books Sydney, Australia
- Michael, R. (2022). I am & not – Elizabeth. In: Made by History United States
- Michael, R. (2022). Genetic Drift In: Antipodes Michigan, US
- Vigna, J.,Michael, R.,Russon, P. (2022). My COVID teacher – pedagogy and technology: Frontiers of online teaching in the creative writing classroom In: Text, 26, 1 - 15
- Michael, R. (2021). The Ninch In: Meanjin Autumn 2021 Melbourne, Australia
- Michael, R.,Rawson, J. (2021). Reading Crises, Writing Crisis In: Reading Like an Australian Writer Sydney
- Michael, R.,McKinnon, C. (2021). In Conversation, A Speculation In: Sydney Review of Books Sydney
- Michael, R. (2020). Peripheral Publishing: the Possibilities of Marginal Models In: c i n d e r, 3, 1 - 12
- Ballard, S.,Brasier, H.,Buck, S.,Carlin, D.,Langley, S.,Lobb, J.,Magner, B.,McKinnon, C.,Michael, R.,Murray, P.,Rendle-Short, F.,Strahan, L.,Taylor, S. (2020). We thought we knew what summer was In: Axon: Creative Explorations Canberra, Australia
2 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- NovelLab. Funded by: Creative Victoria - Creators Fund Grant 2017 onwards from (2022 to 2023)
- Intensively Editing 'Else'. Funded by: City of Melbourne Arts Grant from (2022 to 2022)
- Great Writing: The International Creative Writing Conference in London. Funded by: Capstone Editing Carer's Travel Grant for Academic Women from (2020 to 2020)
- Vermont College of Fine Arts Postdoctoral Writers Conference. Funded by: TACU - Early Career Conference - Grant from (2019 to 2019)
- The Writer's Hotel. Funded by: Ignite Career Fund 2017, Round 2 from (2018 to 2018)