Dr Mohajerani is a civil engineer, specialising in geotechnical engineering and pavements. He currently teaches geotechnical engineering courses as well as supervising postgraduate studies and final year research projects. Some of the courses he has taught include: soil mechanics, rock mechanics, geotechnical engineering, pavements, building materials, construction, and statics. He has supervised several PhD and Masters students.
In 2005 Dr Mohajerani began to direct some of his research energy into a new area - the problem of cigarette butt (CB) pollution. In early 2006, he carried out some feasibility studies on recycling CBs in fired clay bricks and pavement materials. In that year, he applied for an ARC funding grant for recycling CBs in fired clay bricks. In 2007, he accepted a PhD student for working on recycling CBs in bricks; this study was successfully completed in 2010. In 2011 and 2012, he supervised several Investigation Projects on recycling CBs in different construction materials. Currently this work is continuing in research projects at the civil engineering laboratories in RMIT University.
Current areas of research
- Recycling cigarette butts in construction and road materials
- Resilient behaviour and permanent deformation of road materials
- Recycled materials,
- Asphalt concrete
- Early-age strength measurement of shotcrete
- Consolidation and liquefaction of tailings
- Screw piles
- Lightweight dynamic cone penetrometer
- Foundations and retaining walls
- 2001 - present: Senior Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1998 - 2001: Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1993 - 1998: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, La Trobe University
- 1992 - 1993: Lecturer, Department of Civil and Geological Engineering, RMIT
- 1989 - 1991: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology; Senior Consulting Geotechnical Engineer
- 1986 - 1989: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Central Queensland University
Construction engineering of pavements; Geotechnical engineering; Civil engineering
- B.S. in Civil Engineering (five year program), Shiraz University, Iran
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Ph.D. in Geomechanics, University of Western Australia.
- Course in Slope Stability Analysis, University of California, Davis.
- Courses in Highway Materials, Advanced Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering, Earth Structures and Structural Dynamics - Oregon State University.
- Courses in Mine Fill Technology, Rock Mechanics, Rock Slope Stability, Rock Mechanics Measurements - University of New South Wales.
- Member, Engineers Australia
- Member, Australian Geomechanics Society
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Mohajerani, A.,Kurmus, H.,Tran, L.,Maha Arachchillegedara, C.,Mirzababaei, M.,Arulrajah, A. (2019). (In Press) Clegg impact hammer: an equipment for evaluation of the strength characteristics of pavement materials, turf, and natural and artificial playing surfaces: a review In: Road Materials and Pavement Design, , 1 - 19
- Mohajerani, A.,Ukwatta, A.,Jeffrey-Bailey, T.,Swaney, M.,Ahmed, M.,Rodwell, G.,Bartolo, S.,Eshtiaghi, N.,Setunge, S. (2019). A Proposal for Recycling the World's Unused Stockpiles of Treated Wastewater Sludge (Biosolids) in Fired-Clay Bricks In: Buildings, 9, 1 - 22
- Mohajerani, A.,Suter, D.,Jeffrey-Bailey, T.,Song, T.,Arulrajah, A.,Horpibulsuk, S.,Law, D. (2019). Recycling waste materials in geopolymer concrete In: Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, , 1 - 23
- Mohajerani, A.,Vajna, J.,Ellcock, R. (2018). Chromated copper arsenate timber: A review of products, leachate studies and recycling In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 179, 292 - 307
- Ukwatta Pitiye, A.,Mohajerani, A.,Setunge, S.,Eshtiaghi, N. (2018). A study of gas emissions during the firing process from bricks incorporating biosolids In: Waste Management, 74, 413 - 426
- Munro, M.,Mohajerani, A. (2018). Laboratory scale reproduction and analysis of the behaviour of iron ore fines under cyclic loading to investigate liquefaction during marine transportation In: Marine Structures, 59, 482 - 509
- Mohajerani, A.,Ukwatta Pitiye, A.,Setunge, S. (2018). Fired-clay bricks incorporating biosolids: Comparative life-cycle assessment In: Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30, 04018125-1 - 04018125-12
- Mirzababaei, M.,Arulrajah, A.,Haque, A.,Nimbalkar, S.,Mohajerani, A. (2018). Effect of fiber reinforcement on shear strength and void ratio of soft clay In: Geosynthetics International, 25, 471 - 480
- Hoy, M.,Horpibulsuk, S.,Arulrajah, A.,Mohajerani, A. (2018). Strength and microstructural study of recycled asphalt pavement: Slag geopolymer as a pavement base material In: Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30, 1 - 11
- Sarani, N.,Kadir, A.,Rahim, A.,Mohajerani, A. (2018). Properties and environmental impact of the mosaic sludge incorporated into fired clay bricks In: Construction and Building Materials, 183, 300 - 310
- Use of biosolids in enhanced fired clay bricks. Funded by: Melbourne Water Corporation - competitive from (2013 to 2016)
5 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions