To study in Australia as an international student, you will need a visa issued by the Australian Government. In order to study at RMIT, it is required your visa includes "study entitlements".
See the Department of Home Affairs website for information on course packaging.
Before you apply for a student visa
Before you can apply for a student visa, you must have:
- Accepted your offer to study at RMIT
- Received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from RMIT
- If you are a student under 18 years of age at the time of student visa application, you must also have your welfare arrangements approved by RMIT.
Program requirements for a student visa:
If you will be studying at RMIT on a student visa, your program must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). You must study full-time and no more than one third of your program can be studied online. This requirement is in line with the RMIT Enrolment Process. It is paramount you finish the program at RMIT within the expected date, which is the end date of your CoE.
How to apply for a student visa:
Where to get advice on your student visa:
You can get advice about your student visa from:
- the Department of Home Affairs, or
- an Education Agent, Migration Agent, or Lawyer who is registered by the Migration Agent Registration Authority (MARA).
What do I do if my visa is delayed?
What about other types of visas?
If you are a:
- Citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- New Zealand citizen, or
- Temporary Protection Visa Holder
RMIT considers you a local student and you should refer to the information for local students on the website and contact Info Corner for more information.
If you become a permanent resident while studying, you will no longer be considered an international student.
If you are an exchange or study abroad student you may study on other types of visas. For more information see the study abroad and exchange section.
What if I need to extend my visa?
Review the Visa renewal process information if you need to renew or extend your CoE and student visa.