Dr James Baglin is a Senior Lecturer, Statistics, in the School of Science, Mathematical Sciences and Project Manager, Student and Graduate Feedback, Office of Associate DVCE and RMIT Studios.
Dr James Baglin is a Senior Lecturer, Statistics, in the School of Science, Mathematical Sciences and Project Manager, Student and Graduate Feedback, Office of Associate DVCE and RMIT Studios. James served as the Program Manager of the Master of Analytics and Masters of Statistics and Operations Research for 2017. James has won multiple teaching awards delivering online and blended postgraduate statistics courses. James’ primary research areas include higher education, educational technology, statistics education and data visualisation.
Honours and Awards
- Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor, Learning and Teaching, Outstanding Good Teaching Scale Award (various courses, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017)
- RMIT Teaching Commendation, Flexible Learning and Teaching Program Award (2014)
- RMIT LEAD Commendation for Student Volunteer, RMIT University (2008)
James’ key research and supervision areas include higher education, statistics education, educational technology and data visualisation. For an up-to-date list of research publications, please see James’ profiles on Google Scholar, Scopus or the RMIT Research Repository. James has represented the International Association for Statistics Education (IASE) on the International Statistics Institute (ISI) Young Statisticians Committee since 2012. James has acted as a Topic Convenor for the 9th International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS) in Flagstaff, Arizona (2014), and is a reviewer for specialised statistics education journals including Technology Innovations in Statistics Education, Teaching Statistics and the Statistics Education Research Journal.
In addition to attracting nationally competitive funding, James also remains active in internal learning and teaching projects, which have included the following:
- 2016: Team Member: RMIT University, LTIF: Improving the Student Experience through Learning Analytics ($42,000)
- 2014: Project Leader: RMIT University, LTIF: Mathematics and statistics pathways: Connecting with secondary schools to enrich the teaching of data analysis using innovative technology ($30,000)
- 2011: Team Member: RMIT University, STeLR: Evaluating the use of innovative online virtual environment for authentic student learning and assessment of scientific research design and statistical aspects ($6,900)
- 2011: Team Member: RMIT University, College of Science, Engineering and Health (SEH) Special Project Funding: Biostatistics - A globally delivered multimedia showcase ($45,000)
- 2007: Team Member, Learning and Teaching Investment Fund (LTIF): Understanding and interpreting the statistical analyses in psychology, biomedical and complementary medicine journal articles through integrated online learning: statsBOARD (stats Based on Articles Relevant to Discipline) ($26,000)
In 2018, James commenced a secondment to the Office of Associate DVCE and RMIT Studios as Project Manager, Student and Graduate Feedback. This project will review existing student and graduate feedback mechanisms at RMIT University and inform future redevelopment.
James also coordinates and delivers online and blended postgraduate statistics courses. Current teaching responsibilities include the following:
- PhD, RMIT University, 2013
- BAppSc (Psych)(Hons), RMIT University, 2008
Dr. Baglin has a range of statistical consulting experience working with community and health organisations.
- 2016-2017: Victoria Legal Aid: Evaluation of Victoria Legal Aid and the Department of Education and Training's 'Learning the Law' Education Kit
- 2013: Victoria Legal Aid (VLA): Assessing the value of “What’s the Law?” Australian law for new arrivals
- 2013: The Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders and Department of Justice (VACRO): Parenting Status of Community Corrections Clients – Informing Service Planning Project
- 2011: Barwon Health, Geelong Hospital: Predicting survival of major surgery patients using cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- 2011: Barwon Health, Geelong Hospital: Predicting therapeutic seizures in electroconvulsive therapy for the treatment of severe mental illness
- 2011: School of Allied Health, La Trobe University: A simplified
method of identifying the trained retinal locus for the purpose of eccentric viewing training
- Cooper, G.,Berry, A.,Baglin, J. (2020). Demographic predictors of students’ science participation over the age of 16: an Australian case study In: Research in Science Education, 50, 361 - 373
- Nie, H.,Zhang, J.,Li, M.,Dolgun, A.,Baglin, J. (2020). Modelling user influence and rumor propagation on Twitter using Hawkes processes In: Proceedings of the IEEE 7th International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA 2020), Sydney, Australia, 6-9 October 2020
- Gould, R.,Wild, C.,Baglin, J.,McNamara, A.,Ridgway, J.,McConway, K. (2018). Revolutions in teaching and learning statistics: A collection of reflections In: International Handbook of Research in Statistics Education, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Cooper, G.,Strathdee, R.,Baglin, J. (2018). Examining geography as a predictor of students' university intentions: a logistic regression analysis In: Rural Society, 27, 83 - 93
- McLaughlin, T.,Baglin, J.,Chester, A.,Davis, P.,Saha, S.,Mills, A.,Poronnik, P.,Hinton, T.,Lawson, J.,Hadgraft, R. (2018). The global canopy: propagating discipline-based global mobility In: The Globalisation of Higher Education, Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland
- Hose, A.,Ferrari, M.,Baglin, J. (2018). Does Community Legal Education work? Researching the impact of the Learning the law education kit for young people with a mild intellectual disability In: Victoria Legal Aid Melbourne Australia
- Ferrari, M.,Baglin, J. (2018). Does Community Legal Education Work? Educating English Language Students about Consumer Contracts In: The Journal of Law and Social Policy, 29, 29 - 46
- Cooper, G.,Baglin, J.,Strathdee, R. (2017). Access to higher education: Does distance impact students' intentions to attend university? In: National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education (NCSEHE) Perth, Australia
- Huynh, M.,Baglin, J. (2017). Teaching statistics through data investigations in Australian secondary schools: An island-based pilot project In: International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, 25, 49 - 64
- Baglin, J.,Hart, C.,Stow, S. (2016). The statistical knowledge gap in Higher Degree by Research students: the supervisors' perspective In: Higher Education Research and Development, 36, 875 - 889
1 PhD Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- STEM in situ - Imagining entrepreneurial futures.. Funded by: Women in STEM Programme Grants 2016 from (2016 to 2018)
- The Global Canopy: linking international inbound students with domestic outbound students for improved learning and global connections. Funded by: Office for Learning and Teaching Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Virtualising Science: Using an Online World to Immerse Junior Secondary School Students in Real Applications of Maths and Science Curriculum. Funded by: Office for Learning and Teaching Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Urine Steroid Metabolomic Studies by Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry to Aid the Diagnosis of Disorders of Sexual Development in Vietnamese Children. Funded by: Asia-Pacific Federation for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine Research Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)