Coding and information theory. Renyi entropies. Randomness testing. Sequence design with good correlation properties. Combinatorics. Cryptography and cryptanalysis. Information security. Detection of persistent insider threats. Anti-malware techniques. Biometrics. Complex networks.
Plenary talks and conference chairmanships
- Invited Lecturer, AMSI WInter School on Cryptography, Brisbane 2014.
- Invited Plenary Lecturer, IEEE International Workshop on Signal Design and Applications, Tokyo, 2013.
- Invited Keynote Speaker, IT Security and Risk Management Summit, Melbourne, 2010.
- Invited Lecturer, Summer Research School on Codes over Rings, supported by UNESCO, Ankara, 2008.
- Invited Plenary Lecturer, International Security and Cryptology Workshop, Ankara, 2007.
- General Chair: Australasian Conference on Information Security and Privacy (ACISP), Melbourne, 2011
- Program co-Chair: Applied Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms and ErrorCorrecting Codes (AAECC), Bangalore, 2007 and Melbourne, 2001.
- Co-organizer, AMSI (Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute) Workshop on Sequences and Codes and Their Applications, Melbourne, 2008.
- Program Committee Member: Sequences and Their Applications 2010 and 2004, IEEE IWSDA (International Workshop on Signal Design and Analysis) 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2007, IEEE ICCASS 2007, ISC 2011 and 2007.
Links with industry
- 1994-now: Consulted to industry in the areas of wireless telecommunications, error-correction coding, machine learning, and image compression.
- 2007-2011: Advisory Board Member, SECIA, The Victorian eSecurity Cluster
Information Theory, Cryptography and Security, Advanced Topics in Cryptography, Smartcard Cryptosystems.
Current PhD research projects
- Lightweight Encryption. PhD Started in 2013
- A Technological and Behavioural Approach for Insider Threat Detection and Prediction. PhD Started in 2012
Completed PhD and master’s research projects
- REFORM: A Framework for Malware Packer Analysis using Information Theory and Statistical Methods. PhD Completed in 2010
- Fault attacks and Countermeasures for Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems. PhD Completed in 2009
- Traitor Tracing using Generalized Reed Solomon Codes and Combinatorial Designs. PhD Completed in 2005
- Some Results on the Cryptanalysis of Block and Stream Ciphers, MSc Completed in 2005
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, MIT, 1983
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1986
- Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1990
- Dinh, T.,Boztas, S.,Dau, S.,Viterbo, E. (2023). Designing compact repair groups for Reed-Solomon codes In: Proceedings of the 2023 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Taipei, Taiwan, 25-30 June 2023
- Boztas, S. (2023). Self-Supervised RF Signal Representation Learning for NextG Signal Classification With Deep Learning In: IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 12, 65 - 69
- Boztas, S.,Ozbudak, F. (2023). A new method to compute sequence correlations over finite fields In: IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, , 1 - 9
- Dinh, T.,Nguyen, L.,Mohan, L.,Boztas, S.,Luong, T.,Dau, S. (2022). Practical Considerations in Repairing Reed-Solomon Codes In: IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Espoo, Finland, 26 June 2022-1 July 2022
- Boztas, S. (2019). On the Complexity of the 3XORSUM Problem In: Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2019), Paris, France, 7-11 July 2019
- Boztas, S.,Ozbudak, F.,Tekin, E. (2018). Generalized nonbinary sequences with perfect autocorrelation, flexible alphabets and new periods In: Cryptography and Communications, 10, 509 - 517
- Boztas, S.,Ozbudak, F.,Tekin, E. (2018). Explicit Full Correlation Distribution of Sequence Families Using Plateaued Functions In: IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 64, 2858 - 2875
- Boztas, S.,Ozbudak, F.,Tekin, E. (2017). Classification of a sequence family using plateaued functions In: Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Aachen, Germany, 25-30 June 2017
- Gamachchi, A.,Boztas, S. (2017). Insider threat detection through attributed graph clustering In: 2017 IEEE Trustcom/BigDataSE/ICESS, Sydney, Australia, 1-4 August 2017
- Boztas, S.,Burton, B. (2017). Randomness testing and comparison of classical and quantum bit generators In: Proceedings of 2017 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), Heraklion, Crete, 3-6 July 2017
2 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- Secure User Authentication With Continuous Adaptive Risk Evaluation. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2014 Round 1 from (2015 to 2018)
- A Fast and Effective Automated Insider Threat Detection and Prediction System. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2011 Round 2 from (2011 to 2014)
- Analysis and classification of malicious code. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2007 Round 2 from (2008 to 2011)
- CA Postgraduate Research Project - Li Sun. Funded by: CA Pacific Postgraduate Research Contract from (2006 to 2009)
- Optimisation of fingerprint matching algorithms. Funded by: Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing (VPAC) Contract from (2006 to 2007)