New Media audiovisual designer and producer Dr Seth Keen is a lecturer in the School of Media and Communication.
Seth brings to his teaching and research over 20 years of experience in the film and television industry working predominately as a documentary producer. He has produced primetime television documentaries for TVNZ and factual programming for SBS Television. Teaching and researching within the field of New Media for the last 15 years, Seth has integrated his industry experience and previous education in Graphic Design with research on video practices and interactive online documentary. Interested in media innovation and social enterprise, Seth specialises in collaborating on the design of audiovisual workflows, production frameworks and interactive systems for the not-for-profit sector and Indigenous communities.
Seth Keen is an active member of the RMIT’s research community. He is a researcher in the nonfictionLab and Digital Ethnographic Research Centre. Seth in collaboration with the Institute of Network Cultures in Amsterdam facilitated the international Video Vortex conference series, a critical forum on online video (2006-15). A Mobile Innovation Network Australasia (MINA) associate he is involved in co-organising an annual international symposium and screening on mobile filmmaking.
Seth is registered as a research supervisor in the areas of Media, New Media and Interaction Design.
Water Narratives, Timor Leste (2010-2013)
ARC Discovery, ‘Reconnecting with Water: Lessons from a diverse economy’, (DP1095131), The University of Melbourne
Designing a production framework for recording audiovisual content in Timor Leste, for publication in an online audiovisual archive.
Locative Painting, The Stony Rises Project (2008–2011)
RMIT Design Hub, Creative Victoria
A cultural history project conducted in collaboration with the rural arts community in Corangamite, Victoria. The design of an interactive system that utilised the Google Maps API to produce an interactive online documentary prototype.
Bogota Colombia, World Vision Australia (2008-9)
Industry research partnership between RMIT University and World Vision Australia (WVA). The project involved the design of a video production framework and interactive online system to communicate the complexities of an Aid Development Program (ADP), in Bogota Colombia. A key objective was to provide WVA sponsors access to multiple perspectives on an ADP.
RMIT School of Media and Communication, RMIT Design Hub
Collaboration with Interaction Designers on the customisation of an interactive system for publishing video online. This iterative software development received both internal and external funding over a two-year period.
In his teaching and research, Seth is interested in the nexus between design and media. He is developing a studio model for teaching media production and uses design methods and methodologies to support an experimental and innovative approach towards working with a diversity of real-world issues.
Current the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching:
- Master of Media studio teaching with a specific focus on mobile media production.
- Interdisciplinary undergraduate studio collaboration between communication design and media students focusing on nonfiction design for a not-for-profit organisation specialising in community social services.
- Undergraduate studios focusing on the development of online video and interactive documentary practices.
2016, Media and Communication Dean's Award for integrated scholarship model for MC2015 'Studio' based teaching practice. (Awarded to Media Program).
2008, Australia Learning and Teaching Council, Collaborative delivery of program that enhances student knowledge through integrating process-based learning with practice and fostering links between pedagogy and industry, (Awarded to Media Program).
2007, RMIT University, Certificate of Achievement University Teaching Awards, Innovation in Curricula, Learning and Teaching (Awarded to Media Program).
- Ph.D. Communication, RMIT University, 2014
- MA (by Research), Media Arts, University of Technology, Sydney, 2005
- Certificate IV. Desktop and Interactive Video Production, Computer Graphics College, Sydney, (A Grade Pass), 2001
- Graphic Design Certificate, Auckland University of Technology, 1987
Seth has extensive industry experience in the film and television industry across a range of roles that include: working in the art department, assistant directing on feature films and television drama, along with directing and producing corporate videos, commercials, music videos, short drama films, television documentaries and factual programming. He has received arts funding for short films and documentaries.
Seth has extended through teaching and research, his engagement with audiovisual practices. His practice is interdisciplinary across media, visual arts and design. He produces audiovisual works for exhibition, broadcast, screening and online publication.
In his teaching and research Seth has initiated a number of industry collaborations with the not-for-profit sector. He is interested in students engaging with external organisations on projects and universities providing innovative research solutions to real-world “wicked problems”.
- Akama, Y.,Evans, D.,Keen, S.,McMillan, F.,McMillan, M.,West, P. (2017). Designing digital and creative scaffolds to strengthen Indigenous nations: being Wiradjuri by practicing sovereignty In: Digital Creativity, 28, 58 - 72
- Akama, Y.,Keen, S.,West, P. (2016). Speculative design and heterogeneity in indigenous nation building In: Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2016), Brisbane, Australia, 4-8 June 2016
- Keen, S. (2015). Sampling Swallows In: MINA International Mobile Innovation Screening 2015 Wellington, New Zealand
- Keen, S. (2014). Dead TV: Cancel Delete In: Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa (MINA) - peer review panel Wellington, New Zealand
- Miles, A.,Proctor, J.,O'Donnell, K.,Soar, M.,Keen, S.,Luers, W. (2013). Quickened - A Video iBook In: Axon: Creative Explorations Melbourne, Australia
- Keen, S. (2013). Ramblings of a post-industrial media maker In: Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa (MINA) - peer review panel Wellington, New Zealand
- Keen, S. (2010). Purrumbete Verandah In: The Stony Rises Project Melbourne, Australia
- Palmer, L.,Keen, S. (2010). Wai Lia Bere In: Community Screening Darasula Village, Baucau District, East Timor
- Keen, S.,Deverell, K.,Wolf, D. (2009). Bogota Colombia In: Virtual Tour: Bogota, Colombia Melbourne, Australia
- Keen, S.,Wolf, D.,Deverell, K. (2008). Glasshouse Birdman In: Conference Melbourne, Australia
- Designing for Indigenous cultural sustainability. Funded by: Australia Council University Art and Design Schools Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Stony rises. Funded by: Creative Victoria Grant pre-2014 from (2010 to 2011)
- Reconnecting with Water: Lessons from a diverse economy (Timor Water Online Archive). Administered by The University of Melbourne.. Funded by: University of Melbourne CAT0 from (2010 to 2011)
3 PhD Current Supervisions