Joona Keränen is an Associate Professor and Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellow in the Graduate School of Business and Law at RMIT, and a visiting Associate Professor in the School of Business and Management at LUT University, Finland.
Joona's research is focused on exploring how different organizations can understand, quantify, and communicate the value that they (co-)create with customers and other stakeholders in business-to-business (B2B) markets, and develop value propositions that communicate the broader economic, social, and environmental impacts to wider societal (eco)systems. Joona has received several awards for research excellence and impact, and his research has been published in leading B2B marketing and management journals, such MIT Sloan Management Review, Industrial Marketing Management, and the International Journal of Operations and Production Management, among others.
Joona has extensive expertise in developing and leading several large-scale industry-academia research projects funded by companies and governmental funding agencies and collaborating with more than +80 global B2B firms and SMEs in different industries. He has also very active international research network, and ongoing research projects with scholars in US, UK, Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Australia.
Joona is an avid qualitative research methodologist, and well-versed in several research methods and strategies, ranging from inductive grounded theories to more abductive single and multiple case studies and immersive business ethnographies. His research aims to build empirically-grounded theories and managerially-oriented frameworks to help understanding, evaluating, and managing customer value in contemporary B2B markets.
- 2014 – PhD (Tech.) in Industrial Engineering & Management, LUT University, Finland
- 2009 – M.Sc in Industrial Engineering & Management, LUT University, Finland
- Kokshagina, O.,Keranen, J. (2021). Institutionalizing value-based healthcare in a service system: a policy and document analysis over three decades In: Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, , -
- Salonen, A.,Zimmer, M.,Keranen, J. (2021). (In Press) Theory development in servitization through the application of fsQCA and experiments In: International Journal of Operations and Production Management, , 1 - 24
- Keranen, J.,Terho, H.,Saurama, A. (2021). Three Ways to Sell Value in B2B Markets In: MIT Sloan Management Review, , 64 - 70
- Pinnington, B.,Keranen, J.,Kearney, T. (2021). Value as capital-in-use: Unpacking the temporal impacts and managerial implications for organisational value In: Industrial Marketing Management, 96, 226 - 237
- Vanninen, H.,Keranen, J.,Kuivalainen, O. (2021). Becoming a small multinational enterprise: Four multinationalization strategies for SMEs In: International Business Review, , 1 - 13
- Dabrowska, J.,Keranen, J.,Mention, A. (2021). The Emergence of Community-Driven Platforms in Response to COVID-19 GetUsPPE, a multi-sided platform that emerged during the COVID-19 pandemic, offers key insights on how to mobilize and leverage diverse actors to provide solutions in emergencies In: Research Technology Management, 64, 31 - 38
- Jarvi, H.,Keranen, J.,Ritala, P.,Vilko, J. (2020). Value co-destruction in hotel services: Exploring the misalignment of cognitive scripts among customers and providers In: Tourism Management, 77, 1 - 13
- Ranta, V.,Keranen, J.,Aarikka-Stenroos, L. (2020). How B2B suppliers articulate customer value propositions in the circular economy: Four innovation-driven value creation logics In: Industrial Marketing Management, 87, 291 - 305
- Keranen, J.,Prior, D. (2020). Opportunities for ethnographic methodologies in B2B service research In: Journal of Services Marketing, 34, 78 - 86
- Keranen, J.,Salonen, A.,Terho, H. (2020). Opportunities for value-based selling in an economic crisis: Managerial insights from a firm boundary theory In: Industrial Marketing Management, 88, 389 - 395
4 PhD Current Supervisions