Dr. Ylias Sabri’s areas of interest include: nano-structured thin films and nano-crystal growth, chemical sensors, materials development, structural characterization of thin films, mercury sensing, mercury removal speciation.
The impact of Dr Sabri’s research work has been highlighted on over 15 international scientific websites (selected few listed below) where he and/or his mentor are mentioned.
- ABC National – Science Show
- The Age – “Mercury Falling” (19-11-2009)
- Stories of Australian Science 2010 – “Measuring mercury with a Midas touch”
- AtoZofNano – “Using Nanotechnology to Measure Mercury”
- Nanotechnology Now – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Nanowerk – “Pioneering nanotechnology sensor can precisely measure mercury”
- Nano techwire.com – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Science Alert – “Gold nano-hairs find mercury”
- Nanotechnology and Development News – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- R&D mag – “Gold spikes take accurate measure of industrial mercury”
- PhD (Applied Chemistry), 2010, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), 2003, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2011 to September 2013: Research Fellow, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2002 to 2003: Research Assistant, Bosch Gmbh, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Current member of Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
- Current member of Chemical Engineering (CHE)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) from 2007 – present.
- S.K. Bhargava, S.J. Ippolito, Y.M. Sabri, Electrodeposited Gold Nanostructures. International Patent covering Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, South Africa, USA. PCT/AU2010/000662 (WO 2010138996) Filed 31st May 2010. The patent has been licensed to Minsensor Pty. Ltd. who are currently rising $2.5M in capital to produce and distribute the technology worldwide.
- “The 2012 RMIT invention disclosure award” In recognition of developing a significant technology as part of his PhD
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2008
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2007
- AINSE travel award in 2008, $500
- Applied Materials and Interfaces, Plos One, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Talanta, IEEE
- Sensors Journal, Journal of Sensors and Sensor Letters.
- Makam, P.,Shilpa, R.,Kandjani, A.,Periasamy, S.,Sabri, Y.,Madhu, C.,Bhargava, S.,Govindaraju, T. (2018). SERS and fluorescence-based ultrasensitive detection of mercury in water In: Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 100, 556 - 564
- Singh, M.,Deshetti, J.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Della Gaspera, E.,Reineck, P.,Judd, M.,Langley, J.,Cox, N.,van Embden, J.,Mayes, E.,Gibson, B.,Bhargava, S.,Ramanathan, R.,Bansal, V. (2018). Oxygen-deficient photostable Cu2O for enhanced visible light photocatalytic activity In: Nanoscale, 10, 6039 - 6050
- Venkataswamy, P.,Deshetti, J.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Reddy, B.,Vithal, M. (2018). Transition (Mn, Fe) and rare earth (La, Pr) metal doped ceria solid solutions for high performance photocatalysis: Effect of metal doping on catalytic activity In: Research on Chemical Intermediates, 44, 2523 - 2543
- Nguyen, E.,Lee, L.,Rezk, A.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S.,Yeo, L. (2018). Hybrid surface and bulk resonant acoustics for concurrent actuation and sensing on a single microfluidic device In: Analytical Chemistry, 90, 5335 - 5342
- Lay, B.,Kandjani, A.,Amin, M.,Kabir, K.,Ippolito, S.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Galvanic replacement of colloidal monolayer crystal on a QCM device for selective detection of mercury vapor In: Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 250, 383 - 392
- Lay, B.,Coyle, V.,Kandjani, A.,Amin, M.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Nickel-gold bimetallic monolayer colloidal crystals fabricated: Via galvanic replacement as a highly sensitive electrochemical sensor In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 5, 5441 - 5449
- Rahmani, M.,Yaacob, M.,Sabri, Y. (2017). Hydrogen sensors based on 2D WO3 nanosheets prepared by anodization In: Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 251, 57 - 64
- CB, R.,Kandjani, A.,Harrison, C.,Abdul Haroon Rashid, S.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S.,Narayan, R.,Basak, P.,Ippolito, S. (2017). 1,4-Dihydropyrrolo[3,2-b]pyrroles as a single component photoactive layer: A new paradigm for broadband detection In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9, 27875 - 27882
- Worthington, M.,Kucera, R.,Albuquerque, I.,Gibson, C.,Sibley, A.,Slattery, A.,Campbell, J.,Alboaiji, S.,Muller, K.,Young, J.,Adamson, N.,Gascooke, J.,Deshetti, J.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S.,Ippolito, S.,Lewis, D.,Quinton, J.,Ellis, A.,Johs, A.,Bernardes, G.,Chalker, J. (2017). Laying waste to mercury: Inexpensive sorbents made from sulfur and recycled cooking oils In: Chemistry: A European Journal�, 23, 1 - 13
- Joshi, S.,Ippolito, S.,Periasamy, S.,Sabri, Y.,Sunkara, M. (2017). Efficient heterostructures of Ag@CuO/BaTiO<inf>3</inf>for low-temperature CO<inf>2</inf>gas detection: assessing the role of nanointerfaces during sensing by operando DRIFTS technique In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 9, 27014 - 27026
- Classification and authentication of grains by IR and Raman spectroscopy in combination with advanced data analytics. Funded by: Agilent Technologies Australia Pty Ltd Contract from (2018 to 2018)
- Interfacial chemistry in mineral processing (PhD Student: Victoria Coyle). Funded by: CSIRO POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS from (2016 to 2020)
- The Development of Nano-Engineered Material Sorbents for Sensing Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) by FTIR. Funded by: Agilent Technologies Inc - Applications and Core Technology Contract from (2013 to 2014)
- Study of mercury diffusion in modified sensor electrodes using SIMS. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2011 to 2011)
3 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions