Dr Qian (Chayn) Sun is a Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science within the School of Science.
Dr Qian (Chayn) Sun is a Senior Lecturer at Geospatial Science, RMIT University, Australia. She is also a Spatial Scientist with over 15 years of experience in applying Geospatial technologies in multi-disciplinary projects and research, which includes Chayn’s geospatial professional work in government and engineering consultancies in New Zealand and Australia.
Her research expertise lies in Spatial and Statistical Analysis and Modelling, eye tracking, applied remote sensing, machine learning, cloud-based open-source GIS applications, etc. Chayn is active in publishing high quality scientific papers, attracting grants and transforming research into industry practice. Her current research activities at RMIT are to look at the impact of urban vegetation on urban heat islands (UHI) effect, and active traveling with temperature and tree shadeways information services, using satellite imagery, Google street view photos and machine learning to generate granular urban liveability metrics etc.
- Chua, Z.,Kuleshov, Y.,Watkins, A.,Choy, S.,Sun, Q. (2022). A Comparison of Various Correction and Blending Techniques for Creating an Improved Satellite-Gauge Rainfall Dataset over Australia In: Remote Sensing, 14, 1 - 25
- Alhammad, A.,Sun, Q.,Tao, Y. (2022). Optimal Solar Plant Site Identification Using GIS and Remote Sensing: Framework and Case Study In: Energies, 15, 1 - 21
- Xu, Q.,Xu, Z.,Sun, C. (2022). Evaluation Schoolyard Wind Comfort Changes Due to Rapid Developments: Case Study of Nanjing, China In: Atmosphere, 13, 1 - 15
- Radosevic, N.,Liu, G.,Tapper, N.,Zhu, X.,Sun, C. (2022). Solar Energy Modeling and Mapping for the Sustainable Campus at Monash University In: Frontiers in Sustainable Cities, 3, 1 - 17
- Teofilo, A.,Sun, Q.,Radosevic, N.,Tao, Y.,Iringan, J.,Liu, C. (2021). Investigating potential rooftop solar energy generated by Leased Federal Airports in Australia: Framework and implications In: Journal of Building Engineering, 41, 1 - 14
- Rakoto, P.,Deilami, K.,Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Sun, C. (2021). Revisiting the Cooling Effects of Urban Greening: Planning Implications of Vegetation Types and Spatial Configuration In: Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, , 1 - 12
- Bhardwaj, J.,Kuleshov, Y.,Chua, Z.,Watkins, A.,Choy, S.,Sun, Q. (2021). Building capacity for a user-centred integrated early warning system for drought in Papua New Guinea In: Remote Sensing, 13, 1 - 24
- Le, T.,Sun, C.,Choy, S.,Kuleshov, Y. (2021). Regional drought risk assessment in the Central Highlands and the South of Vietnam In: Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk, 12, 3140 - 3159
- Aitkenhead, I.,Kuleshov, Y.,Bhardwaj, J.,Chua, Z.,Sun, C.,Choy, S. (2021). In Press - Validating a Tailored Disaster Risk Assessment Methodology: Drought Risk Assessment in Local PNG Regions In: Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences Discussions, , 1 - 38
- Dharmasthala, S.,Sun, Q.,Langenheim, N. (2021). Are high distributed streetscapes also located in the high social interaction streets? A Space Syntax approach on street liveability assessment In: 2021 28th International Conference on Geoinformatics, Nanchang, China , 3-5 November 2021
PhD (Curtin University)
MSc (1st honors) (University of Auckland)
PGDipSci (University of Auckland)
1 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions
- Nationwide longitudinal database for emerging CALD Communities and social-environmental inequalities. Funded by: Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN) Grant from (2022 to 2023)
- Integrated Heat Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit for Australian Cities (Administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: Australian Government Department of Education and Training - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Enabling active travel in Australian cities by mapping shadeways (Smart Active Transport - Urban Heat Maps for Bendigo). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2017 to 2020)