CISM build on RMIT's longstanding reputation for globally recognised research on structural optimisation.
The results of our research have been used around the world by engineers and architects to design innovative buildings and bridges, and to create new microstructures of materials and composites.
Our researchers have advanced the knowledge of structural engineering with a wide range of projects including:
- Topology optimisation of load-carrying structural systems with periodic geometric patterns.
- Optimisation of high-rise buildings considering wind loading.
- Design of microstructure for materials and composites with exceptional mechanical and physical properties.
- Topology optimisation for advanced engineering nanostructures.
CISM is led by an internationally renowned expert in computational mechanics and structural optimisation, Professor Mike Xie. He is an elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Our members have highly developed skills and extensive experience in:
- Shape and topology optimisation for a wide range of engineering structures.
- Conceptual design of buildings and bridges using topology optimisation techniques.
- Design of microstructures of materials and composites for enhanced performance.
- Finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics.
- State and dynamic testing of biological and man-made materials.
Our researchers have been awarded over 20 major grants by the Australian Research Council (ARC) and have worked in partnership with technologically demanding companies such as Boeing and Arup.