David Smith is Dean of the School of Accounting, Information Systems, and Supply Chain at RMIT University. He has previously held professorial appointments at the University of Queensland and Monash University.
David has published in leading journals including Accounting, Organizations and Society, Management Accounting Research, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, Behavioral Research in Accounting, and Journal of Accounting Literature.
He is an Editor at Behavioral Research in Accounting and Accounting and Finance. He also serves as a member of a number of editorial boards, including the following ABDC A*-ranked journals: Accounting, Organizations and Society, Contemporary Accounting Research, and Management Accounting Research. David is a former member of the board of directors of the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) and was a former chair of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) Centre of Excellence Australasia panel.
- O'Leary, S.,Smith, D. (2020). (In Press) Moments of resistance: An internally persuasive view of performance and impact reports in non-governmental organisations In: Accounting, Organizations and Society, , 1 - 22
- O'Leary, S.,Smith, D. (2020). Moments of resistance: An internally persuasive view of performance and impact reports in non-governmental organizations In: Accounting, Organizations and Society, 85, 1 - 21
- Taylor, D.,King, R.,Smith, D. (2019). Management controls, heterarchy and innovation: a case study of a start-up company In: Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 32, 1636 - 1661
- Bialecki, M.,O'Leary, S.,Smith, D. (2017). Judgement devices and the evaluation of singularities: The use of performance ratings and narrative information to guide film viewer choice In: Management Accounting Research, 35, 56 - 65
- Chenhall, R.,Hall, M.,Smith, D. (2017). The expressive role of performance measurement systems: A field study of a mental health development project In: Accounting, Organizations and Society, 63, 60 - 75
- Chenhall, R.,Hall, M.,Smith, D. (2017). The role of performance management systems in non-government organizations (NGOs) In: The Routledge Companion to Performance Management and Control, Routledge Companions in Business, Management and Accounting, United Kingdom
- Chenhall, R.,Hall, M.,Smith, D. (2016). Managing Identity Conflicts in Organizations: A Case Study of One Welfare Nonprofit Organization In: Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 45, 669 - 687