Senior Lecturer and DECRA Fellow, Dr. Spina does research in the field of Information Retrieval and Text Analytics (Data Science), focusing on interactive information retrieval and evaluation of information access systems.
Dr. Spina is the recipient of the 2021 RMIT Award for Research Impact (Technology).
Dr. Spina also participates in Capoeira and Samba.
- Senior Lecturer and DECRA Fellow at RMIT University, School of Computing Technologies.
- Member of the RMIT Research Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).
- Associate Investigator at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society.
- Editorial board member for the journals Elsevier Information Processing & Management (IP&M) and MDPI Information.
- Program Committee member for several conferences including The Web Conference, SIGIR, NAACL, CIKM, ECIR, EMNLP, and CHIIR, among others.
- Reviewer for renowned journals including Elsevier IP&M, ACM TOIS, EPJ Data Science, ACM TIST, and JASIST, among others.
- Data scientist at Signal AI in London, UK (2014-2015).
- Dr. Spina has collaborated in research with colleagues in different industry organisations such as Microsoft, Google, ABC, SEEK, Real Thing, Inference Solutions, Abbrevi8, and Llorente&Cuenca.
- Dr. Spina is the co-author of a patent on a system and method for automating the training of enterprise customer response systems using a range of dynamic or generic data sets.
- Roitero, K.,Soprano, M.,Portelli, B.,De Luise, M.,Spina, D.,Della Mea, V.,Serra, G.,Mizzaro, S.,Demartini, G. (2023). Can the crowd judge truthfulness? A longitudinal study on recent misinformation about COVID-19 In: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 27, 59 - 89
- Spina, D.,Sanderson, M.,Angus, D.,Demartini, G.,Mckay, D.,Saling, L.,White, R. (2023). Human-AI Cooperation to Tackle Misinformation and Polarization In: Communications of the ACM, 66, 40 - 45
- Trisedya, B.,Salim, F.,Chan, J.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M. (2023). i-Align: an interpretable knowledge graph alignment model In: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, , 1 - 23
- Ji, K.,Spina, D.,Hettiachchi, D.,Salim, F.,Scholer, F. (2023). Examining the Impact of Uncontrolled Variables on Physiological Signals in User Studies for Information Processing Activities In: Proceedings of the 46th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Taipei, Taiwan, 23/7/2023-27/7/2023
- Magnossao de Paula, A.,Rosso, P.,Spina, D. (2023). Mitigating Negative Transfer with Task Awareness for Sexism, Hate Speech, and Toxic Language Detection In: Proceedings of the 2023 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), Gold Coast, Australia, 18/6/2023-23/6/2023
- Le, B.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Chia, H. (2022). A Crowdsourcing Methodology to Measure Algorithmic Bias in Black-Box Systems: A Case Study with COVID-Related Searches In: Revised Selected Papers of the 3rd International Workshop on Advances in Bias and Fairness in Information Retrieval (BIAS 2022), Stavanger, Norway, 10 April 2022
- Qu, Y.,Roitero, K.,Barbera, D.,Mizzaro, S.,Spina, D.,Demartini, G. (2022). Combining Human and Machine Confidence in Truthfulness Assessment In: Journal of Data and Information Quality, 15, 1 - 17
- Amigó, E.,Mizzaro, S.,Spina, D. (2022). Ranking Interruptus: When Truncated Rankings Are Better and How to Measure That In: SIGIR '22: Proceedings of the 45th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Madrid, Spain, 11/07/2022 - 15/07/2022
- Alaofi, M.,Gallagher, L.,McKay, D.,Saling, L.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Spina, D.,White, R. (2022). Where Do Queries Come From? In: SIGIR '22: Proceedings of the 45th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Madrid, Spain, 11/07/2022 - 15/07/2022
- Khaokaew, Y.,Holcombe-James, I.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Ren, Y.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Salim, F. (2022). Imagining future digital assistants at work: A study of task management needs In: International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 168, 1 - 17
2 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions
- Fair and Transparent Information Access in Spoken Conversational Assistants. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2020 from (2020 to 2024)
- Training intelligent virtual agents using human interaction data (phase 2). Funded by: DIIS - Innovations Connections - Competitive from (2020 to 2020)
- Training intelligent virtual agents using human interaction data. Funded by: DIIS - Innovations Connections - Competitive from (2019 to 2020)
- A Learning to Rank Framework for Entity Centrality. Funded by: Abbrevi8 Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)