Lecturer and DECRA Fellow, Dr. Spina does research in the field of Information Retrieval and Text Analytics, focusing on interactive information retrieval and evaluation of information access systems.
Dr. Spina is a Lecturer and DECRA Fellow at the School of Science (Computer Science & IT discipline) at RMIT University. His research areas are Information Retrieval and Text Analytics. In particular, his research focuses on Interactive Information Retrieval (IIR) --including user-system interactions in voice-enabled intelligent assistants-- and evaluation of information access systems -- including effectiveness measures of search engines and fairness-aware evaluation.
Dr. Spina also participates in Capoeira and Samba.
- Lecturer and DECRA Fellow at RMIT University, School of Science (Computer Science & IT discipline).-
- Member of the RMIT Research Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).-
- Associate Investigator at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society.
- Editorial board member for the journals Elsevier Information Processing & Management (IP&M) and MDPI Information.
- Program Committee member for several conferences including The Web Conference, SIGIR, NAACL, CIKM, ECIR, EMNLP, and CHIIR, among others.
- Reviewer for renowned journals including Elsevier IP&M, ACM TOIS, EPJ Data Science, ACM TIST, and JASIST, among others.
Data scientist at Signal UK (2014-2015).
Dr. Spina has collaborated in research with colleagues in different industry organisations such as Microsoft, Google, ABC, SEEK, Real Thing, Inference Solutions, Abbrevi8, and Llorente&Cuenca.
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Sanderson, M.,Cavedon, L. (2021). Accessing Media Via an Audio-only Communication Channel: A Log Analysis In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Conversational User Interfaces (CUI 2021), Bilbao, Spain, 27-29 July 2021
- Kiesel, J.,Spina, D.,Wachsmuth, H.,Stein, B. (2021). The Meant, the Said, and the Understood: Conversational Argument Search and Cognitive Biases In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Conversational User Interfaces, Online, 27-29 July 2021
- Saling, L.,Mallal, D.,Scholer, F.,Skelton, R.,Spina, D. (2021). No one is immune to misinformation: An investigation of misinformation sharing by subscribers to a fact-checking newsletter In: PLOS ONE, 16, 1 - 13
- Soprano, M.,Roitero, K.,Barbera, D.,Ceolin, D.,Spina, D.,Mizzaro, S.,Demartini, G. (2021). The many dimensions of truthfulness: Crowdsourcing misinformation assessments on a multidimensional scale In: Information Processing & Management, 58, 1 - 22
- Roitero, K.,Soprano, M.,Portelli, B.,De Luise, M.,Spina, D.,Della Mea, V.,Serra, G.,Mizzaro, S.,Demartini, G. (2021). (In Press) Can the crowd judge truthfulness? A longitudinal study on recent misinformation about COVID-19 In: Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, , 1 - 31
- Barbera, D.,Roitero, K.,Demartini, G.,Mizzaro, S.,Spina, D. (2020). Crowdsourcing Truthfulness: The Impact of Judgment Scale and Assessor Bias In: Proceedings of the 42nd European Conference on IR Research (ECIR 2020), Lisbon, Portugal, 14-17 April 2020
- Liono, J.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Trippas, J.,Sanderson, M.,Bennett, P.,White, R. (2020). Intelligent Task Recognition: Towards Enabling Productivity Assistance in Daily Life In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR 2020), Dublin, Ireland, 8-11 June 2020
- Roitero, K.,Soprano, M.,Fan, S.,Spina, D.,Mizzaro, S.,Demartini, G. (2020). Can The Crowd Identify Misinformation Objectively?: The Effects of Judgment Scale and Assessor's Background In: Proceedings of the 43rd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2020), Xi'an, China, 25-30 July 2020
- Roitero, K.,Soprano, M.,Portelli, B.,Spina, D.,Della Mea, V.,Serra, G.,Mizzaro, S.,Demartini, G. (2020). The COVID-19 Infodemic: Can the Crowd Judge Recent Misinformation Objectively? Share on In: Proceedings of the29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2020), Ireland, 19-23 October 2020
- Cerone, A.,Naghizade, E.,Scholer, F.,Mallal, D.,Skelton, R.,Spina, D. (2020). Watch ’n’ Check: Towards a Social Media Monitoring Tool to Assist Fact-Checking Experts In: Proceedings of the IEEE 7th International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA 2020), Sydney, Australia, 6-9 October 2020
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
- Fair and Transparent Information Access in Spoken Conversational Assistants. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Training intelligent virtual agents using human interaction data (phase 2). Funded by: DIIS - Innovations Connections - Competitive from (2020 to 2020)
- Training intelligent virtual agents using human interaction data. Funded by: DIIS - Innovations Connections - Competitive from (2019 to 2020)
- A Learning to Rank Framework for Entity Centrality. Funded by: Abbrevi8 Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)