In 2022, the RSS and RRSS provide the following benefits to recipients:
- a stipend of $32,841 per annum pro rata (full-time study). This amount is subject to indexation annually
- international candidates in receipt of this scholarship are also awarded an RTP International Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) or an RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS)
- all local candidates, Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia are provided with an RTP Fee Offset scholarship. Applicants in receipt of an RTP Fee Offset scholarship are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program. The amount is up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Terms and Conditions).
The standard duration of a research doctoral scholarship is three and a half years full-time.
The duration of a research Masters scholarship is two years full-time, with no additional extension available.
The duration of an RSS or RRSS will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards a research degree at the same level, prior to the commencement of the RMIT research program.