Dr Olivia Hamilton
Olivia Hamilton is a Senior Lecturer in Interior Design.
Olivia Hamilton is interested in how ‘commoning’ (the social and psychological processes that people go through in order to work together) can foster meaningful collaborations, inclusivity and care-taking attitudes through engagement with creative projects. Her praxis involves working with industry partners, internal bodies and across disciplines to initiate socially engaged creative works situated in public space and maintained or developed through commoning processes and values.
Olivia conducts her research through spatial practice, design pedagogy and writing and has published and exhibited in Australia and internationally since finishing her PhD in 2018. Olivia was awarded an RMIT teaching award in 2020 and Design and Social Context teaching award in 2021 for her work with commoning pedagogy.
- Coordinator, History Theory Stream and Research Strategies Course, Bachelor of Interior Design (Hons)
- PhD by thesis. "A commoning creative practice: tending to mutuality in spaces of engagement" RMIT 2018
- BA in Interior Design with first-class honours from RMIT 2002
- Antony Di Mase Architects (Melbourne) – Interior Designer
- Marco Carrano Architects (New York) – Interior designer
- LAB Bates Smart (Melbourne) – Interior Designer and Furniture Designer for Federation Square
- Hamilton, O. (2019). Commoning Interior Design Pedagogy In: Interiors, 9, 1 - 18
- Hamilton, O. (2018). Process of Commoning in the Production and Proliferation of Shared Space In: The Plan Journal, 3, 37 - 50
- , .,Hamilton, O.,Miller, A. (2017). The Complexity of Containment In: Edges based in Great Britain but online publication
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Bhubble (Building Movements #4) In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' Melbourne, Australia
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Building Movements #2 In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' New Jersey, United States
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2015). The Prosopopoeias In: The Prosopopoeias Melbourne, Australia
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2015). Analog Avatars In: Analog Avatars Sydney and Melbourne Australia, and Beacon, New York, USA
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2014). Relational Documentation In: Proceedings of the 2014 IDEA Symposium and Exhibition: Situation, Melbourne, Australia, 31 July - 3 August 2014
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2011). Picture Yourself In: Picture Yourself Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions