Olivia Hamilton is a Lecturer in Interior Design.
Olivia's research practice is interested in how creative spatial practices can be developed and guided by commoning, and how, in turn, creative practice can be conducive to a proliferation of commoning. Her work explores the proposition that creative collaborative practices can bring new perspectives and capacities to commoning and in return, the social and spatial praxis of commoning provides creative practice with ways to seek, recognise and value experiences of mutuality. Olivia's PhD thesis is titled "A Commoning Creative Practice: Tending to Mutuality in Spaces of Engagement'. Her ongoing research is conducted through creative spatial practice, design pedagogy and writing.
Professional practice includes working in New York as an Interior Designer for global commercial clients and as lead designer in several product design studios. In Australia she has worked as an interior designer and a furniture designer for Federation Square, as well as an interior designer in several other Melbourne architecture practices. Olivia edited and produced an online design magazine for five years and continues to produce small-scale multi-media figurative sculptures.
- Coordinating first year - Design and Communications
- Teaching areas: Design Studio, Communications, History and Theory, Specialisations, Research Strategies - Honours
- Selection officer
- BA in Interior Design with first class honours from RMIT 2002
- PhD (Architecture and Urban Interior Design) by thesis. 2018
- Antony Di Mase Architects (Melbourne) – Interior Designer
- Marco Carrano Architects (New York) – Interior designer
- Small Magazine (New York) – Editor
- LAB Bates Smart (Melbourne) – Interior Designer and Furniture Designer for Federation Square
- Hamilton, O. (2019). Commoning Interior Design Pedagogy In: Interiors, 9, 1 - 18
- Hamilton, O. (2018). Process of Commoning in the Production and Proliferation of Shared Space In: The Plan Journal, 3, 37 - 50
- Hamilton, O. (2017). The Complexity of Containment In: Edges based in Great Britain but online publication
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Bhubble (Building Movements #4) In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' Melbourne, Australia
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Building Movements #2 In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' New Jersey, United States
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2015). The Prosopopoeias In: The Prosopopoeias Melbourne, Australia
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2015). Analog Avatars In: Analog Avatars Sydney and Melbourne Australia, and Beacon, New York, USA
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2014). Relational Documentation In: Proceedings of the 2014 IDEA Symposium and Exhibition: Situation, Melbourne, Australia, 31 July - 3 August 2014
- Pintos-Lopez, O. (2011). Picture Yourself In: Picture Yourself Melbourne, Australia
1 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions