Lawrence Harvey is an associate professor at the School of Architecture and Design. He is also Director of the RMIT Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory (SIAL) Sound Studios.
Performance projects and events
- Walk with Me. Hannam J., Harvey L., Book chapter in Non-representational Theory and the Creative Arts (in print). Ed Candice Boyd.
- Notes from the Floor. A response to Nearly Finished, by David Pledger for imaginedTheatres: writing for a theoretical stage. Available online, issue 02, 2018.
- Recycling Traffic Noise: Transforming Sonic Automobilities for Revalue and Wellbeing. Pink, S., J. Lacey, M. Duque, S. Sumartojo, L. Harvey and S. Moore (Accepted 9th October 2018) Mobilities.
- Noise transformation: a critical listening-based methodology for the design of motorway soundscapes. Lacey, J., Pink S., Harvey, L. (Accepted 21 May) Qualitative Research Journal.
- Launch of Agile Digital: a website for the ARC Linkage Project Agile Opera. An online resource for creative arts organisations to discover approaches for adapting live performance to digital and spatial forms and for academics to access research from the Agile Opera Project, at https://agileopera.com. 27 June.
- Canyon: multichannel sound design for an exhibition. XVI Venice Biennale, in TIME SPACE EXISTENCE, Palazzo Bembo, 26 May – 25 November. Visual and spatial design by Simon Twose and Jules Moloney. See <http://thecanyon.org>
- Canyon: Experiments in Drawing through Analogue Sketching, Sound and Virtual Reality. Twose, S., MoloneyJ., and Harvey, L. Peer reviewed conference paper & proceedings at the ADR 18: 1st Annual Design Research Conference (ADR18), University of Sydney, 27-28 September.
- Canyon: Drawing Presences from an Undersea Landscape Through Gesture, VR and Sound. Twose, S., MoloneyJ., and Harvey, L. Peer reviewed conference paper at the 5th International Conference on Architecture and Built Environment with AWARDs Conference S.ARCH Conference – The Way It’s Meant to Be. 22-24 May, Venice, Italy.
- The Value Chamber: Performance and digital iterations across art, design and education. Peer review paper at Australian Council of University Arts and Design Schools, Canberra September 28-29 with Gregory More, David Forrest, Margaret Trail, Louise Godwin, Sam McGilp.
- Guest Moderator for 2970° Practicing Democracy, Gold Coast Art Centre, September 8-9.
- Oceans Concert, Curator and Sound Diffusion. Works based on the sounds and motions of oceans for RMIT Gallery, Storey Hall, RMIT University, May 2 and 3.
- Soundscape design of motorway parkland environments: an industry-based approach. Peer reviewed paper at Invisible Places – Sound, Urbanism and Sense of Place, April 7-9, São Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal. Jordan Lacey, Stephan Moore, Sarah Pink, Shanti Sumartojo, Xiaojun Qiu. Online copy available here.
- Transurban Project, development field work and industry report with Jordan Lacey, Stephan Moore, Sarah Pink, Shanti Sumartojo, Xiaojun Qiu. Melbourne February 20-25 and Sydney March 17-19.
- Agile Chambers: a performance and presentation program, RMIT Design Hub Gallery with Chamber Made Opera. Panel chair for 3 artist round tables presented as part of the ARC Linkage Project – Agile Opera, December 6-10.
- Sonic Ruptures: Elemental Shapings, Sound Forest and Urban Voices. Lawrence Harvey and Jordan Lacey. Forty-five minute radiophonic work commissioned and broadcast on SoundProof, ABC Radio National, Australia, 9, 16 & 23 December.
- The Surface Project Concert, spatial sound diffusion for Elision Ensemble concert, Story Hall, RMIT University, 21 September. <https://rmitgallery.com/2016/09/19/free-elision-concert-september-21-rmit-storey-hall/>
- Starting with nothing and Ending up with something: musical improvisation and parametric spatial design improvisation. Ham, J. Harvey, L. Schnabel, M. and Prohasky, D. 2016, 'Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of the Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADE 2016)
- Assessor for EU Horizon2020 Grant Program, Creative Victoria Organisation Funding, Leonardo Abstracts Online, ARC Linkage and Discovery Grants.
- World line concert, spatial sound diffusion for Elision Ensemble concert, Storey Hall, RMIT University, April 20. <https://rmitgallery.com/digital/all/elision-ensemble-performance-at-rmit-storey-hall/>
- PhD examiner for Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts and Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Denmark.
- Artistic Advisor to the RMIT Bundoora Soundscape System, opened March 2014.
- Workshop guest presenter, SPEAK Percussions Emerging Artist Program.
- Improving models for urban soundscape systems. SoundEffects - An Interdisciplinary Journal of Sound and Sound Experience, Vol 3, No.3 (2013): Urban Sounds. Available online, http://www.soundeffects.dk/, ISSN: 1904-500X
- Commence Agile Opera: chamber opera in a new era. Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project with Chamber Made Opera, Australia Council and Federation Square. <http://www.sial.rmit.edu.au/portfolio/agile-opera/>
- Composing Spaces: Spatial Music from Gabrieli to the 21st Century. Guest lecture and performance, Institute of Sonology, Royal Conservatorium, The Hague, 9–13 April, 2013.
- Invited presenter in Listening Practices: Disturbing silence with sound and noise as part of Critical Forum, College of Creative Arts, Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand, 22 August 2013 via skype.
- Sound Bites City: the inaugural exhibition of RMIT University’s new Sound Art Collection. Curator with Suzanne Davies and Jon Buckingham. RMIT University Gallery, Melbourne, 4 September–19 October, 2013. Accessed 23 Oct. 13
- The Black of the Star (Le Noir de L’Etoile), by Gerard Grisey. Spatial direction of concert and recordings with Speak Percussion, Melbourne Festival Performance, Deakin Edge, Federation Square Melbourne, October 16–17, 2013.
- ARC Linkage Grant Agile Opera: chamber opera in a new era (2013–2016) with Chamber Made Opera, Australia Council for the Arts and Federation Square.
- Audio Architecture, guest presenter for soundscape compositions by Barry Truax, July 25, 2012. Arts Centre Melbourne. Accessed 28 February, 2013.
- Construction-Huddersfield, spatial direction of concert and live-to-air broadcast with Elision Ensemble, Forthcoming–November. As part of ARC Linkage Grant.
- Codex-Melbourne, spatial direction of concert and live-to-air broadcast with Elision Ensemble, Iwaki Hall, ABC Classic FM, 26 March. As part of ARC Linkage Grant.
- Workshop leader for Acoustic Ecology and Spatial Sound. Workshops for Audiology Australia, SIAL Sound Studios, 18 March.
- Manifest – co-Artistic Direction with Chamber Made Opera, performance at Arts House, North Melbourne, 4 September, 2010. Including works from studios at Harvard University, Birmingham University, CREATE Santa Barbara and SIAL Sound Studios.
- Design Documentation for an Urban Soundscape System at RMIT. Melbourne, Harvey et al. (2010/2011). Funded by RMIT Art Committee.
- A Case Study of Melbourne’s Five Urban Soundscape Systems. Funded by the Design Research Institute, RMIT, 2009–2010.
- PhD passed with no amendments and high commendations.
- Artistic Director and artist for five concerts in the new Melbourne Recital Centre – February to June.
- Research leader and CI for two ARC grants, and for the Urban Soundscape Design Group and researcher for Customising Space, funded RMIT University’s Design Research Institute.
- Guest presenter, Liquid Architecture
- Research leader for the Urban Soundscape Design Group and researcher for Customising Space, funded RMIT University’s Design Research Institute.
- Chief Investigator on ARC funded Discovery Project TEIMU (the garden of dreams): Aural and Aesthetic Attributes of Japanese Gardens as Models for Spatial Environments and ARC Linkage Project The spatial ensemble: scaling instrumental resonance and morphology for spatialised performance with Elision Ensemble and Judith Wright Centre for Contemporary Art.
- Sound designer for The meaning of Moorabbin, 9–25 October, with theatre company nyid as part of Melbourne Festival 2008
PhD RMIT University, Faculty of Architecture and Design: The Auditory Centre: Research and Design of Acoustic Environments and Spatial Sound Projects.
Master of Music (Composition) University of Melbourne
Les Ateliers UPIC, Paris – 8 month course in Composition and Computer Music
Bachelor of Music (Composition), Canberra School of Music
National and international affiliations
Artistic Advisor, RMIT Sound Art Collection, 2013 ongoing
Awarded Associate Representation status to the Australian Music Centre, 2011
Member Public Art Advisory Committee Arts and Culture Branch, City of Melbourne 2007–2009
Assessor for ARC grants and Australian Computer Music Conference papers
Awards, grants and fellowships
ARC Linkage Grant Agile Opera: chamber opera in a new era (2013–2016) with Chamber Made Opera, Australia Council for the Arts and Federation Square.
Awarded Associate Representation status to the Australian Music Centre, 2011.
Design documentation for an Urban Soundscape System, RMIT Art Committee, 2010–2011
ARC Linkage Grant for The spatial ensemble: scaling instrumental resonance and morphology for spatialised performance – 2008 to 2010
Research leader for The Urban Soundscape Group and Customising Space funded by RMIT University’s Design Research Institute
RMIT Innovation Award for establishment of the SIAL Sound Studios, 2007
ARC Discovery Grant for Teimu: Garden of Dreams, 2006
Winner ATOM (Australian Teachers of Media) Award in the Best General Experimental category with Metraform 7 June 2003
Special Mention with Metraform, ATOM Awards 2002
Creative Commission Grant from Cinemedia with Metraform, 2001 & 2002.
RMIT Postgraduate Scholarship, 2000–2002.
Australia Council Residency, Paris, 1997
Export and Touring Grant, Arts Victoria, 1997
Churchill Memorial Fellowship, 1995–96
Member of the Editorial Review Board for the International Journal of E-Planning Research (IJEPR)
International Journal of Geographical Information Science
Environment and Planning A
Journal of Music Research Online
- Harvey, L.,Buckingham, J.,Bartolomei, L.,Lever, G.,Peters, J. (2020). Voicing the Sonic: a case study of the RMIT Sonic Arts Collection and the Speaker Orchestra In: 2019 ACUADS Conference: Engagement, Melbourne, Australia, 31 October – 1 November 2019
- Pink, S.,Lacey, J.,Harvey, L.,Sumartojo, S.,Duque Hurtado, M.,Moore, S. (2019). Recycling traffic noise: transforming sonic automobilities for revalue and well being In: Mobilities, 14, 233 - 249
- Hannam, J.,Harvey, L. (2019). Walk with Me In: Non-Representational Theory and the Creative Arts, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore
- Lacey, J.,Pink, S.,Harvey, L. (2019). Noise transformation: A critical listening-based methodology for the design of motorway soundscapes In: Qualitative Research Journal, 19, 49 - 64
- Twose, S.,Moloney, J.,Harvey, L. (2019). Canyon: Experiments in drawing a landscape In: Drawing On, 01, 24 - 37
- Twose, S.,Moloney, J.,Harvey, L. (2018). Canyon: Experiments in Drawing through Analogue Sketching,Sound and Virtual Reality In: Proceedings of the 1st Annual Design Research Conference (ADR 18), Sydney, Australia, 27 - 28 September 2018
- Lacey, J.,Pink, S.,Harvey, L.,Qiu, X.,Sumartojo, E.,Zhao, S.,Moore, S.,Duque Hurtado, M. (2017). RMIT Acoustic design innovations for managing motorway traffic noise by cancellation and transformation In: Transurban Group Melbourne, Australia
- Harvey, L.,More, G.,Forrest, D.,Trail, M.,Godwin, L.,Mcgilp, S. (2017). The value chamber: performance and digital iterations across art, design and education In: Proceedings of the 2017 Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools (ACUADS) Conference, Canberra, Australia, 28-29 September 2017
- Lacey, J.,Moore, S.,Pink, S.,Zhao, S.,Harvey, L.,Qiu, X.,Sumartojo, S.,Maisch, S. (2017). Soundscape design of motorway parkland environments - transformation, cancellation, and ethnography In: Proceedings of the 2nd Invisible Places International Symposium 2017, São Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal, 7-9 April 2017
- Lacey, J.,Harvey, L. (2016). Sonic Ruptures: Elemental Shapings, Sound Forest and Urban Voices In: SoundProof Australia
11 PhD Completions and 8 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Agile Opera: chamber opera in a new era. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2014 to 2018)
- The spatial ensemble: scaling instrumental resonance and morphology for spatialised performance. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 1 from (2008 to 2011)
- Auditory City. Funded by: City of Melbourne Arts Grant from (2007 to 2007)
- Teimu (The Garden of Dreams): aural and aesthetic attributes of Japanese gardens as models for spatial environments. Funded by: ARC Discovery 2006 from (2006 to 2009)