Stephen is a lecturer and researcher within the School of Science. His research interests are fragment-based drug design (FBDD), medicinal chemistry and the use of biophysical techniques including SPR and NMR to investigate protein interactions.
Stephen works on academic and commercial research projects aimed at improving human health. His core interest is in the discovery of new medicines using fragment-based drug design (FBDD). FBDD uses biophysical techniques such as NMR spectroscopy and surface plasmon resonance (SPR) to screen compound libraries to detect hit compounds for a protein target involved in disease. The compounds are then enlarged and optimised using medicinal chemistry to create a high affinity compound as a potential starting point for a new therapeutic.
Stephen collaborates with medicinal chemists, biological laboratories and X-ray crystallogrphers as part of multidisciplinary teams. Students are encouraged and trained in multiple skills to contribute to the research aims of the lab and develop their talents.
Stephen also provides SPR expertise to commercial projects analysing protein-protein interactions including biologics. And provides chemical and protein structure determination using NMR spectroscopy.
- BSc(Hons), PhD, University of Melbourne
- Patil, R.,Mohanty, B.,Liu, B.,Chandrashekaran, I.,Headey, S., et al, . (2019). A ligand-induced structural change in fatty acid– binding protein 1 is associated with potentiation of peroxisome proliferator–activated receptor agonists In: Journal of Biological Chemistry, 294, 3720 - 3734
- Vogrin, A.,Bower, N.,Gunzburg, M.,Roufail, S.,Okuda, K.,Paterson, S.,Headey, S.,Stacker, S.,Hogan, B.,Achen, M. (2019). Evolutionary Differences in the Vegf/Vegfr Code Reveal Organotypic Roles for the Endothelial Cell Receptor Kdr in Developmental Lymphangiogenesis In: Cell Reports, 28, 2023 - 2036
- Wagstaff, K.,Headey, S.,Telwatte, S.,Tyssen, D.,Hearps, A.,Thomas, D.,Tachedjian, G.,Jans, D. (2019). Molecular dissection of an inhibitor targeting the HIV integrase dependent preintegration complex nuclear import In: Cellular Microbiology, 21, 1 - 13
- Northfield, S.,Wielens, J.,Headey, S.,Williams-Noonan, B.,Malcair, M.,Scanlon, M.,Parker, M.,Thompson, P.,Chalmers, D. (2018). Cyclic Hexapeptide Mimics of the LEDGF Integrase Recognition Loop in Complex with HIV-1 Integrase In: ChemMedChem, 13, 1555 - 1565
- Chilingaryan, Z.,Headey, S.,Lo, A.,Xu, Z.,Otting, G.,Dixon, N.,Scanlon, M.,Oakley, A. (2018). Fragment-based discovery of inhibitors of the bacterial DnaG-SSB interaction In: Antibiotics, 7, 1 - 12
- Smith, R.,Mohanty, B.,Mowlaboccus, S.,Headey, S. J., et al, . (2018). Structural and biochemical insights into the disulfide reductase mechanism of DsbD, an essential enzyme for neisserial pathogens In: Journal of Biological Chemistry, 293, 16559 - 16571
- Garriga, D.,Headey, S.,Accurso, C.,Gunzburg, M.,Scanlon, M.,Coulibaly, F. (2018). Structural basis for the inhibition of poxvirus assembly by the antibiotic rifampicin In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 115, 8424 - 8429
- Birru, W.,Warren, D.,Headey, S.,Benameur, H.,Porter, C.,Pouton, C.,Chalmers, D. (2017). Computational Models of the Gastrointestinal Environment. 1. The Effect of Digestion on the Phase Behavior of Intestinal Fluids In: Molecular Pharmaceutics, 14, 566 - 579
- Mohanty, B.,Rimmer, K.,McMahon, R.,Headey, S. J., et al., . (2017). Fragment library screening identifies hits that bind to the non-catalytic surface of Pseudomonas aeruginosa DsbA1 In: PLoS ONE, 12, 1 - 20
- Dekan, Z.,Headey, S.,Scanlon, M.,Baldo, B. A., et al, . (2017). ?-Myrtoxin-Mp1a is a Helical Heterodimer from the Venom of the Jack Jumper Ant that has Antimicrobial, Membrane-Disrupting, and Nociceptive Activities In: Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 56, 8495 - 8499