Professor John Hearne focuses on Applied Mathematics and Operations Research in the School of Science.
Professor Hearne's main interest is in the use of quantitative techniques to solve or to give insight into complex management problems.
This has involved a wide range of mathematical techniques including differential equations, system dynamics, optimisation, column generation, sensitivity analysis and model simplification.
In the application area Professor Hearne is particularly interested in problems relating to the conservation and sustainable utilisation of natural resources. This has included African and Australian wildlife.
In recent years he has worked on spatio-temporal optimisation problems arising from bushfires and other logistical problems relating to emergency management.
More details at Professor Hearne's personal site.
Research and research supervision, mostly teach into the Master of Analytics, and Master of Statistics and Operations Research programs.
Recent PhD completions
- Keshtkaran, Mahsa (2017) - Operations research models for investigation and improvement of the hyperacute stroke care system
- Rachmawati, Ramya (2017) - Optimisation models for planning in fuel management
- Wang, Zhihui (2016) - Mapping Spatial Variation of Foliar Nitrogen Using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing
- Van der Merwe, Martijn (2016) - An optimisation approach for assigning resources to defensive tasks during wildfires
- Bedford, Raymond (2014) - Modelling an Abalone Fishery System: Implications for Management
- Minas, James (2013) - Operations Research for Decision Support in Wildfire Management
- Jafari, Nahid (2012) - Exact Models for Selection Problems: From Clinical Trials to Network Design
- New Zealand UGC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (1986)
- Tom Rozwadowski Award presented by the Operations Research Society of SA for the best published research by a member. Received in 1992, 2000, and 2004
- Fellow of Operations Research Society of South Africa (ORSSA)
- Fellow of the Resource Modelling Association
- EU Erasmus Mundus Fellowship (2010, 2014)
- Ecological Modelling
- International Abstracts in Operations Research (IAOR) (Contributing Editor -Environment)
- ORiON (Associate Editor)
- Mathematical and Computational Forestry and Natural Resource Sciences
- Resource Modelling Association (President, 1999-2000, 2014-2015)
- Australian Society for Operation Research
- Australian and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ANZIAM)
- Clay, N.,Abbasi, B.,Eberhard, A.,Hearne, J. (2018). On the volatility of blood inventories In: International Transactions in Operational Research, 25, 215 - 242
- Rachmawati, R.,Ozlen, M.,Hearne, J.,Reinke, K. (2018). Fuel treatment planning: Fragmenting high fuel load areas while maintaining availability and connectivity of faunal habitat In: Applied Mathematical Modelling, 54, 298 - 310
- Roozbeh, I.,Ozlen, M.,Hearne, J. (2018). An adaptive large neighbourhood search for asset protection during escaped wildfires In: Computers and Operations Research, 97, 125 - 134
- Wang, Z.,Skidmore, A.,Wang, T.,Darvishzadeh, R.,Heiden, U.,Heurich, M.,Latifi, H.,Hearne, J. (2017). Canopy foliar nitrogen retrieved from airborne hyperspectral imagery by correcting for canopy structure effects In: International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 54, 84 - 94
- Van Der Merwe, S.,Ozlen, M.,Hearne, J.,Minas, J. (2017). Dynamic rerouting of vehicles during cooperative wildfire response operations In: Annals of Operations Research, 254, 467 - 480
- Alrashidi, M.,Hearne, J.,McArthur, L.,Zorzan, C. (2017). Cooperative considerations for a mobile resource that transcends property boundaries In: Natural Resource Modeling, 30, 1 - 10
- Rachmawati, R.,Ozlen, M.,Reinke, K.,Hearne, J. (2016). An optimisation approach for fuel treatment planning to break the connectivity of high-risk regions In: Forest Ecology and Management, 368, 94 - 104
- Minas, J.,Hearne, J. (2016). An optimization model for aggregation of prescribed burn units In: TOP, 24, 180 - 195
- Wang, Z.,Wang, T.,Darvishzadeh, R.,Skidmore, A.,Jones, S.,Suarez, L.,Woodgate, W.,Heiden, U.,Heurich, M.,Hearne, J. (2016). Vegetation indices for mapping canopy foliar nitrogen in a mixed temperate forest In: Remote Sensing, 8, 1 - 20
- Mwakiwa, E.,Hearne, J.,Stigter, J.,de Boer, W.,Henley, M.,Slotow, R.,van Langevelde, F.,Peel, M.,Grant, C.,Prins, H. (2016). Optimization of net returns from wildlife consumptive and non-consumptive uses by game reserve management In: Environmental Conservation, 43, 128 - 139
- Geospatial Based Environment for Optimisation Systems Addressing Fire Emergencies (GEOSAFE). Funded by: Horizon 2020: Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action: Research and Innovation Staff Exchange Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2020)
- Bushfire CRC: Bushfire CRC PhD Scholarship for Martijn Van der Merwe. Funded by: CRC for Bushfires Scholarship from (2012 to 2015)
- AMSI Industry Internship Program - Paul Moloney. Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Contract from (2010 to 2011)
- Simplifying models of alien biota. Funded by: Australian Centre of Excellence for Risk Analysis Grant pre-2014 from (2007 to 2008)
- Beyond the Potter Farmland Project: Learning from the Past - Adapting for the Future. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Grant pre-2014 from (2007 to 2008)
10 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions