Nicola is a socio-legal scholar with over 20 years’ research experience in the sexual violence field. Her research investigates the extent, nature and impacts of sexual violence and harassment, including legal and prevention responses in Australian and international contexts. Her research on technology-facilitated sexual violence and image-based sexual abuse (colloquially known as "revenge porn") has had a significant impact on law, policy and educational reform, including legislative change in multiple Australian jurisdictions. She is a Member of the Office of the eSafety Commissioner's eSafety Advisory Group, as well as the RMIT Women's Research Network. She is an International Editorial Member for Violence Against Women and the International Journal for Crime, Justice and Social Democracy. She is also Research Associate at West Virginia University.
Nicola's books include: War and Rape: Law, Memory and Justice (2011: Routledge); Preventing Sexual Violence: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Overcoming a Rape Culture (2014: Palgrave Macmillan; co-edited with A. Powell); Rape Justice: Beyond the Criminal Law (2015: Palgrave Macmillan; co-edited with A. Powell & A. Flynn); Sexual Violence in a Digital Age (2017: Palgrave Macmillan; co-authored with A. Powell); Image-Based Sexual Abuse: A Study of the Causes and Consequences of Non-Consensual Nude or Sexual Imagery (2021: Routledge; co-authored with C. McGlynn, A. Flynn, K. Johnson, A. Powell & A. Scott); and The Emerald Handbook on Technology-Facilitated Violence and Abuse (2021: Emerald; co-edited with J. Bailey & A. Flynn).
Nicola is a Chief Investigator on a Criminology Research Grant on anonymous and confidential reporting platforms for sexual assault survivors (led by A/Prof Heydon, RMIT University) and was previously Chief Investigator two ARC Discovery projects, two other Criminology Research Grants, and a range of other projects.
Nicola is currently working on an ARC Future Fellowship on digital platforms and image-based sexual abuse (2021-25).
- Henry, N.,Vasil, S.,Flynn, A.,Kellard, K.,Mortreux, C. (2022). Technology-Facilitated Domestic Violence Against Immigrant and Refugee Women: A Qualitative Study In: Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 37, 12634 - 12660
- Scott, A.,Mainwaring, C.,Flynn, A.,Powell, A.,Henry, N. (2022). Image-Based Sexual Abuse among Australian Youths: The Experiences and Perspectives of Victims, Perpetrators and Bystanders In: Interpersonal Violence Against Children and Youth, Rowman & Littlefield, United States
- Henry, N.,McGlynn, C.,Flynn, A.,Johnson, K.,Powell, A.,Scott, A. (2021). Image-Based Sexual Abuse: A Study on the Causes and Consequences of Non-consensual Nude or Sexual Imagery, Routledge, London, United Kingdom
- McGlynn, C.,Johnson, K.,Rackley, E.,Henry, N.,Gavey, N.,Flynn, A.,Powell, A. (2021). ‘It’s Torture for the Soul’: The Harms of Image-Based Sexual Abuse In: Social & Legal Studies, 30, 541 - 562
- Rackley, E.,McGlynn, C.,Johnson, K.,Henry, N.,Gavey, N.,Flynn, A.,Powell, A. (2021). Seeking Justice and Redress for Victim-Survivors of Image-Based Sexual Abuse In: Feminist Legal Studies, , 1 - 30
- Henry, N.,Vasil, S.,Witt, A. (2021). (In Press) Digital citizenship in a global society: a feminist approach In: Feminist Media Studies, , 1 - 18
- Mortimer, S.,Fileborn, B.,Henry, N. (2021). Beyond Formal Ethics Reviews: Reframing the Potential Harms of Sexual Violence Research In: Australian Feminist Studies, 36, 142 - 155
- Henry, N.,Witt, A. (2021). Governing Image-Based Sexual Abuse: Digital Platform Polices, Tools, and Practices In: The Emerald International Handbook of Technology-Facilitated Violence and Abuse, Emerald, United Kingdom
- Bailey, J.,Flynn, A.,Henry, N. (2021). Pandemics and Systematic Discrimination: Technology-Facilitated Violence and Abuse in an Era of COVID-19 and Antiracist Protest In: The Emerald International Handbook of Technology Facilitated Violence and Abuse, Emerald, United Kingdom
- Henry, N.,Flynn, A. (2020). Image-Based Sexual Abuse: A Feminist Criminological Approach In: The Palgrave Handbook of International Cybercrime and Cyberdeviance, Springer, Switzerland
- Detecting, preventing and responding to image-based abuse. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2025)
- Anonymous and Confidential Reporting Options for Sexual Assault: An Exploration of their Purpose, Use and Potential in Australia. Funded by: Australian Institute Criminology Research Grants from (2020 to 2022)
- Improving the Safety of Women and Girls on Public Transport (administered by La Trobe University). Funded by: Department of Premier and Cabinet Research Project from (2019 to 2020)
- Preventing Image-Based Cybercrime: The role of bystanders (administered by Monash University). Funded by: Australian Institute Criminology Research Grants from (2019 to 2020)
- Revenge pornography: The implications for law reform. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2021)
2 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions