Dr Maria Spichkova is a Lecturer at the School of Computer Science and Information Technology, RMIT University.
She received a PhD in Computer Science in 2007 at the Technical University of Munich (Germany), where she worked in a Researcher and Lecturer role between 2003 and 2013. From June 2013 to May 2015, she worked in the Australia-India Research Centre for Automation Software Engineering, RMIT University, as a Research Fellow.
She conducts research activities related to formal specification, modelling, testing, and verification of safety-critical and distributed systems as well as to human factor related areas.
Dr Maria Spichkova has served as the reviewer of journals and conferences (such as IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Journal of Software and Systems Modeling, Acta Informatica, etc.), the Program Committee co-chair and member for international conferences and workshops (HOFM, SAGRA, RE4SuSy, MoDeVVa and IEEE APSCC).
She has supervised HDR students, taught a number of lecture courses (e.g. Applied Logic in Engineering, Modelling of distributed systems, Fundamentals of system and program development) in addition to seminar courses.
More information on Dr Maria Spichkova, her projects and publications, can be found on her personal website.
PC Chair, Workshop organizer
- Human-Oriented Formal Methods (HOFM), a satellite event of the STAF and SEFM 2016 (rank A/B)
- Sustainable Architecture: Global collaboration, Requirements, Analysis (SAGRA 2016), a satellite event of ECSA 2016 (rank A)
- Collaborative Aspects of Formal Methods (COLAFORM 2016). Special Session of the 11th International Conference on ENASE (rank B)
- HOFM 2015, a satellite event of the 13th International Conference on SEFM (rank B)
- SAGRA 2015, a satellite event of ECSA (rank A)
- Session Chair: 10th International Conference on ENASE (rank B)
- Session Chair: 21st IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (rank B)
- HOFM 2014, a satellite event of the 12th International Conference on SEFM (rank B)
- Automated Systems Software Engineering & Testing Workshop (2013, Melbourne, Australia)
- 12th Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering, 2017
- 11th Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering, 2016
- International Workshop on Model-Driven Innovations for Software Engineering, 2016
- SAC 2016 Track on Software Architecture: Theory, Technology, and Applications
- 5th International Workshop on Requirements Engineering for Sustainable Systems at RE 2016
- 24rd Australasian Software Engineering Conference 2015, Short Paper Track
- 12th Model-Driven Engineering, Verification, and Validation workshop at MODELS 2015
- 4th International Workshop on Requirements Engineering for Sustainable Systems (RE4SuSy) at RE 2015
- International Workshop on Sustainable Software Systems Engineering at DASC 2015
- International Workshop on Automation Testing of Cyber-Physical Systems in the Cloud at ICPADS2015
- Reliability Technologies and Tools for Services-Based Systems Track at APSCC 2014
Journal, conference, workshop, book reviewer (selected)
- Journal on Software Evolution and Processes,
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics,
- Science of Computer Programming,
- Journal of Software and Systems Modeling,
- Acta Informatica, Emerging Research and Trends in Interactivity and the HCI, etc.
- Coordinator of Work-Integrated Learning Program, School of Science (Computer Science and IT), RMIT University
- Internship Coordinator
- Coordinator of Software Engineering Projects Program (YourSoftware)
- Master in Computer Science, TU Dresden, Germany, 2003
International MSc Program in Computational Logic
- PhD in Computer Science (Dr. rer. nat.)
Technical University of Munich (Technische Universität München, TUM), Germany, 2007
At the RMIT University and at the Technical University of Munich (Germany), Dr Maria Spichkova has authored and contributed (both as participant and as project leader) to a number of research projects in collaboration with Siemens AG, ABB, Microsoft (European Microsoft Innovation Center), the BMW Group, Bosch, DENSO Automotive (Germany), DENSO Corporation (Japan), ITK Engineering AG (Germany), and AVL (Austria).
2015: iAward (Victoria) for the EndOfTrip project
- Member of Industrial Committee, School of Science, RMIT University (from 2015)
- Co-organiser of Industrial Summer Project Program (2015/2016)
- Coordinator of WIL Program (from 2015)
- Affiliated member of AICAUSE (from 2013)
- Member of Computer Science and Education research group (from 2015)
- Member of Data Analytics research group (from 2015)
- Member of Sensors, Clouds and Services research group (from 2015)
- Member of Platform Technologies Research Institute (2013-2015)
- Member of IEEE (from 2011)
- Member of IEEE Women in Engineering (from 2011)
- Member of IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (from 2016)
- Member of IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society (from 2016)
- Leader of the Verification & Testing Competence Center (2007 – 2013, TU Munich)
- Member of the Embedded Systems Competence Center (2003 – 2013, TU Munich)
- Member of the Requirements Engineering Competence Center (2003 – 2013, TU Munich)
- Member of Women in Computer Science: Informatics Women's Forum
1. Software Engineering projects within YourSoftware initiative, in collaboration with
- Kaleido Labs,
- Carers Victoria,
- Bureau of Meteorology,
- Adeft Consulting Group,
- Department of Justice & Regulation.
2. Rhythm ANZ internal mobile application
Funded by ANZ, 2015 - 2016.
3. Working prototype for cloud based software as a service application
Funded by Compliance Group Pty Ltd, 2015 - 2016.
4. FGP Datapump and Webservice
Funded by Future Grid Pty Ltd, 2015 - 2016.
5. Testing of Engineered Systems, led by AICAUSE.
Funded by Siemens AG, 2014 - 2015.?
6. Collaborative engineering, led by AICAUSE.
Funded by ABB, 2014 - 2015.
1. COBRA model development. Funded by AVL, 2012 - 2013.?
Leader of the project.
2. Adaptive and self-optimising systems Funded by European Microsoft Innovation Center, 2011 - 2013.
Leader of the project.
3. Efficient Hazard and Risk Analysis for Automotive Mechatronic Systems. Funded by ITK Engineering AG, 2012.?
4. DENTUM I, II, III:
Funded by Denso Automotive Deutschland, 2006 - 2011.
5. Verisoft XT - Automotive Application. In collaboration with Robert Bosch GmbH. Funded by Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, 2007-2010.
Leader of the project.
6. Verisoft Automotive. In collaboration with the BMW Group.
Funded by Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, 2003-2007.
- Levy, M.,Groen, E.,Tavteter, K.,Amyot, D.,Yu, E.,Liu, L.,Richardson, I.,Spichkova, M.,Jussli, A.,Mosser, S. (2023). Sustaining human health: A requirements engineering perspective In: Journal of Systems and Software, 204, 1 - 14
- Alzahrani, M.,Uitdenbogerd, A.,Spichkova, M. (2022). Impact of animated objects on autistic and non-autistic users In: 44th International Conference on Software Engineering: Software Engineering in Society (ICSE-SEIS), Pittsburgh, United States, 21-29 May 2022
- Spichkova, M. (2022). Teaching and learning Requirements Engineering concepts: Peer-review skills vs. problem solving skills In: 30th International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE), Melbourne, Australia, 15-19 August 2022
- Alzahrani, N.,Spichkova, M.,Harland, J. (2022). Application of Property-based Testing Tools for Metamorphic Testing In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering, virtual, 25-26 April 2022
- Uitdenbogerd, A.,Spichkova, M.,Alzahrani, M. (2022). Web-based Search: How Do Animated User Interface Elements Affect Autistic and Non-autistic Users? In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering, virtual, 25-26 April 2022
- Alzahrani, M.,Uitdenbogerd, A.,Spichkova, M. (2021). Human-Computer Interaction: Influences on Autistic Users In: 25th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems Systems, Szczecin, Poland (virtual conference), 8-10 September 2021
- Spichkova, M.,Simic, M. (2021). Analysis of pharmacy drug consumption following extreme weather conditions In: 25th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering, Szczecin, Poland (birtual conference), 8-10 September 2021
- Spichkova, M.,Alsanoosy, T.,Harland, J. (2021). Impact of Organisational Culture on the Requirement Engineering Activities In: 29th International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE), Notre Dame, IN, USA, 20-24 September 2021
- Spichkova, M.,Vaish, A.,Highet, D.,Irfan, M.,Kesley, K.,Dhilip Kumar, P. (2020). GoSecure: Securing projects with go In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE 2020), Prague, Czech Republic, 5 - 6 May 2020
- Spichkova, M.,Van Zyl, J.,Sachdeva, S.,Bhardwaj, A.,Desai, N. (2020). Comparison of Computer Vision Approaches in Application to the Electricity and Gas Meter Reading In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference (ENASE 2019), Heraklion, Crete, Greece, 4-5 May 2019
2 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions
- Usability analysis for horse transport and horse business management tools. Funded by: CompuThought R&D Pty Ltd Contract from (2017 to 2017)