Steve Ashton Scholarship
For students who are architects; worth up to $15,000
The scholarship is worth up to $15,000 over one semester (the recipient’s semester enrolment load and tuition fee charges does factor into determining the value of this scholarship).
Note: the scholarship is paid as cash after the census date (and typically after invoice due dates). The value may not always fully be equivalent with the recipient’s tuition fees.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be enrolled in the standard semester 1 2021 at RMIT in one of the following programs:
- Diploma of Business (C5358)
- Diploma of Business Administration (C5375)
- Diploma of Leadership and Management (C5391)
- Project Management Practice - Certificate IV
- Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (GC047)
- Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (Executive) (GC129)
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Management (GC161)
- Graduate Diploma in Project Management (GD194)
- Master of Business (Management) (MR204)
- Master of Human Resource Management (MC263)
- Master of Business Administration (MC199)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (MC162)
- have completed an accredited course in architecture recognised by the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia, which satisfies the academic requirement for registration as an architect in Australia
Applications will be judged on merit against the following criteria:
- Track record of the applicant in professional achievements to date. Preference will be given to those displaying initiative, including having established their own practice.
- Applicant’s ability to demonstrate a meaningful contribution to the profession, volunteer work and/or leadership potential
The online application form will be made available here when applications open.
Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of evidence and material to support your scholarship application. Applications without supporting documents will not be considered.
You will need:
- Your curriculum vitae, no more than two pages in length
Please visit Supporting Your Application for more information.
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Discuss your professional achievements to date, including how you have demonstrated initiative in your career.
- Discuss your contribution to the profession, including any volunteer work and your leadership potential.
- How do you intend to use the Steve Ashton Scholarship to enhance your career?
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
This scholarship is made possible by a generous donation from the Ashton-Nixon Bequest, in memory of Stephen Ashton AM, who died in 2016 from mesothelioma. Steve was an architect who founded Ashton Raggatt McDougall together with Howard Raggatt and Ian McDougall in 1988, which later became ARM Architecture. ARM is an iconic architectural practice with a reputation for creative design and problem solving and has won multiple awards, including the Victorian Architecture Medal on five occasions. See www.armarchitecture.com.au
Steve, Howard and Ian were awarded the RAIA Gold Medal in 2016. Steve was awarded membership of the Order of Australia (AM) posthumously in 2017 for significant service to architecture through management and design roles, to professional organisations, and to motor sport.
Steve graduated in architecture from the University of Melbourne. He always thought that his Graduate Diploma of Business Administration had played an important role in the evolution of ARM and its subsequent successes. Steve and his wife, Rosemary Nixon AM, a dermatologist, established the Ashton-Nixon Bequest before he died, with the aim to provide a scholarship for architects to obtain professional training, be it in running a business, in leadership or other skills, which will enable their practice to develop and thrive. See www.ashtonnixonbequest.com.au
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student account.