Scholarships are awarded on the basis of a competitive selection process that ranks applicants according to their academic achievement, research outputs and relevant professional experience.
Priority is given to applicants who:
- Have achieved a high distinction in the final two years of the qualifying program(s). At RMIT a grade of high distinction represents an academic achievement of 80% or higher
- May be considered by RMIT as having an equivalent level of academic attainment, taking into account previous study, relevant work experience, research publications and other research experience
- Are able to take receipt of a scholarship for a minimum 12 months duration on a full-time basis (or part-time equivalent) because of prior enrolment in a graduate research program
- Have not already completed a graduate research program at the same or higher course level. For example, Masters by Research applicants should not have already completed a Masters by Research or PhD
- An applicant must not previously have held an RMIT or Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship’s payments commencing
- Are or will to be enrolled and primarily based at an RMIT Australian campus.
International applicants must meet English language requirements by the application closing date to be considered for a scholarship.
Additionally, successful recipients of the VCPS must not have undertaken prior higher degree by research candidature in the last three years.
Part-time applications from local applicants may be approved if applicants are able to demonstrate exceptional circumstances as specified in the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions. Scholarships provided to candidates enrolled on a part-time basis are not tax exempt.
Scholarship applicants already enrolled in a research degree must have:
- More than 24 months remaining of PhD candidature as at 1 January 2019
- More than 12 months remaining of Master by research candidature as at 1 January 2019.
You will be considered ineligible for a tuition fee scholarship if:
- You are applying for or undertaking a Masters by Research and you already hold a Research Doctorate, Research Masters or an equivalent research qualification
- You are applying for or undertaking a Research Doctorate and you already hold a Research Doctorate or an equivalent research qualification, or
- You have previously held a Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship commencement date.