Carl Higgs is a research data scientist and PhD student in the Healthy Liveable Cities Lab of the Centre for Urban Research at RMIT University.
Carl Higgs is a research data scientist and PhD student in the Healthy Liveable Cities Lab of the Centre for Urban Research at RMIT University. With a background in cultural studies, spatial epidemiology, and computational statistics, through his PhD he is developing methods to support calculation and dissemination of spatial indicators of urban liveability using open data and an open science ethos, to support planners, policy makers and researchers to better understand, monitor and shape the impacts of the built environment on health and wellbeing.
As a researcher in RMIT's Healthy Liveable Cities Lab with expertise in spatial analysis and programming, Carl is involved in the development of methods for measurement of built environment exposures for local neighbourhoods using diverse data sources to support research concerned with equitable delivery of urban policies on planning and development. He is a member of the study executive for the Global Healthy & Sustainable City-Indicator Study, and had a leading role in designing the Australian Urban Observatory and indicators produced for the Australian National Liveability Study.
- Master of Biostatistics (MBiostat), University of Melbourne / Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia
- Master of Public Health (MPH), Epidemiology/Biostatistics, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts (first class Honours, Asian Studies)–Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Tasmania
Carl has been engaged as a consultant preparing liveability related data, maps and reports for local, state and federal governments and other researchers, and has more broadly been involved in applied research and teaching relating to epidemiology, biostatistics, population health and health policy since 2010, at institutions including the University of Tasmania, University of Melbourne, Monash University and RMIT University.
- De Gruyter, C.,Gunn, L.,Kroen, A.,Saghapour, T.,Davern, M.,Higgs, C. (2022). Exploring changes in the frequency of public transport use among residents who move to outer suburban greenfield estates In: Case Studies on Transport Policy, 10, 341 - 353
- Both, A.,Gunn, L.,Higgs, C.,Davern, M.,Jafari, A.,Boulange, C.,Giles-Corti, B. (2022). Achieving ‘Active’ 30 Minute Cities: How Feasible Is It to Reach Work within 30 Minutes Using Active Transport Modes? In: ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 11, 1 - 18
- Alderton, A.,Higgs, C.,Davern, M.,Butterworth, I.,Correia, J.,Nitvimol, K.,Badland, H. (2021). Measuring and monitoring liveability in a low-to-middle income country: A proof-of-concept for Bangkok, Thailand and learnings from an international partnership In: Cities & Health, 5, 320 - 328
- Alderton, A.,Nitvimol, K.,Davern, M.,Higgs, C.,Correia, J.,Butterworth, I.,Badland, H. (2021). Building capacity in monitoring urban liveability in bangkok: Critical success factors and reflections from a multi-sectoral, international partnership In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18, 1 - 14
- Kelly, D.,Davern, M.,Mahmoudi Farahani, L.,Higgs, C.,Maller, C. (2021). Urban greening for health and wellbeing in low-income communities: A baseline study in Melbourne, Australia In: Cities, , 1 - 11
- Higgs, C.,Simons, K.,Badland, H.,Giles-Corti, B. (2021). Cross-sectional evidence of the cardiometabolic health benefits of urban liveability in Australia In: Npj Urban Sustainability, 1, 1 - 13
- Lowe, M.,Arundel, J.,Hooper, P.,Rozek, J.,Higgs, C.,Roberts, R.,Giles-Corti, B. (2020). Liveability aspirations and realities: Implementation of urban policies designed to create healthy cities in Australia In: Social Science and Medicine, 245, 1 - 13
- Horne, R.,Correia, J.,Badland, H.,Alderton, A.,Higgs, C. (2020). From Ballarat to Bangkok: how can cross-sectoral partnerships around the Sustainable Development Goals accelerate urban liveability? In: Cities & Health, 4, 199 - 205
- Gunn, L.,Kroen, A.,De Gruyter, C.,Higgs, C.,Saghapour, T.,Davern, M. (2020). Early delivery of equitable and healthy transport options in new suburbs: Policy, place and people In: Journal of Transport & Health, 18, 1 - 15
- Pauli, N.,Maller, C.,Mata, L.,Mahmoudi Farahani, L.,Porter, E.,Arabena, L.,Davern, M.,Higgs, C.,Ligtermoet, E.,Selva, G.,Atkins, M.,Mouat, C.,Follmer, J.,Kelly, D. (2020). Perspectives on understanding and measuring the social, cultural and biodiversity benefits of urban greening In: Australian Government, National Environmental Science Program Melbourne, Australia